Unfamiliarity, uncertainty, hopelessness; overwhelmed with emotion but somehow deadened to all feeling.
When the foundations upon which your whole life was built start to crumble, what are you left with but the pieces of was your everything? What do you do with those pieces? How do you start to build again when you haven't even the strength to lift your head up above the rubble? And why, why do you take on all the responsibility of it?
This is my life at the moment. And it pains me – frustrates and annoys me – to start off a blog post with such depressing words. A black cloud looms above my life, threatening to tumble down with the hardest, heaviest and most destructive rain. It darkens every one of my days – a smile is always regretted, a laugh inconceivable, fun unheard of.
There has been too much going on to even begin to explain where I've been, what I've done, how far I've come or fallen back. There have been ups, downs, weight gains and losses, body image misery, physical strengthening and mental weakening… A barrel full of events and emotions to match every occasion.
There has been a major upheaval of my once comfortable family life. My parents – mother especially – has completely lost her way in the world, and with it her love for my father. My father is trying with all his might to hold on to my mother, and to me, which is suffocating for both her and myself. Dad doesn't know what to do, and in his confusion he is clutching onto the preparation of my food intake with such dependence and obsessiveness that it is having a devastating effect on my love for and my connection with him.
My family is falling apart, and I know within me that when the time comes to choose, my choice will be my mother. For as long as I can remember, I have not had a proper relationship with her. She loves me, and always has, but up until recently we have never shared that special bond I hear so much about. I have that now, as I am growing up and becoming more mature and adult-like. I can't let go of that, and I can't be without her. That choice and decision breaks my heart because I feel like I'm making my Dad out to be a bad person. I hate that I have chosen one parent over the other – what sort of person does that? What sort of person doesn't want both parents when they have the option?
My eating disorder has become so much a part of my life that it's the only thing my Dad associates me with now. He doesn't think I am 'ready' to look after myself, he doesn't think me capable. I need to try. Having to depend on someone to get my food ready for me keeps me ingrained in this disease. The independence I crave has been muffled and shut away from me, because I'm 'not ready'. I will never be ready if I don't have the chance to. I hate being monitored, I hate being dependent, I hate being treated like a disease and not a human. I've come to a point in my life where I feel more adult that child, and more ready to be a part of this world. I want to be my own person in this world. It's the only thing I've got – I am the only person I have, especially now when my parents are both confused and battling with their own problems. I have become their problem; I am involved in this situation because I am emotionally and mentally mature enough to understand, but I will never be emotionally and mentally strong enough to cope with it. I know this is a dangerous time for me because I could easily let my health go the way-side, but I honestly can't deal with that anymore. I don't want to kill myself, I don't want to die.
I'm further forward in recovery than I've ever been, yet Dad doesn't seem to think so. I weigh more now than ever before, but that's not enough? I don't know. I don't know anything, to be honest; that uncertainty, unfamiliarity and hopelessness goes deeper than my mind and heart. It is me. And that's something I have to deal with. I can't become someone elses problems. I can't become my own problems. I have to just become, and now of all times is the time to do it. When my parents are both fighting their own personal problems, I have no one I can fully rely on other than myself.
I'm talking myself around in circles. I don't even expect anyone to read this. Sending my thoughts out into the world wide web offers me some sense of relief. It's not my problem anymore, it's in the Universe's hands now.
I need to trust the Universe, if nothing else.
19 comments:
I am sorry you are having such problems with your family Eleanor. I have gone through a family breakup when my dad left my mum and that was hard but I was a little older than you, it didn't effect me any less. I didn't have my ED then and I had left home already, which allowed me the ability to ignore them. I am sorry you don't have that option. I wish I could say something that would make you feel better but I don't know, all I can say is I am thinking of you and I hope you will be okay. I know this is really hard but try to hang on as hard as you can. Take special care and be gentle with yourself.
*hugs*
Sarah
Oh Eleanor, you are in my prayers :)
I'm really sorry that you are struggling with your parent's drama right now... but please know that none of this is your fault. There is no shame in 'choosing' your mother... because as you said, that bond is incredibly special. That doesn't mean that you don't love your dad - it doesn't have to be black and white.
You are so strong, and the fact that restricting isn't even a considerable option for you to use to cope with this is AMAZING. Do you even realize how far you have come mentally?
I know you will make it through this, because you have so much inner strength. I know I've said it a million times, but it's true: you are a fighter, and you will make it to that life where you are completely free from your eating disorder.
I love you dear!
<3 Tat
My gosh Eleanor, I can understand why you'd be having so many conflicting emotions right now. EDs are tough on every family... I remember when I was first starting recovery I would actually wish that my parents would just divorce so I wouldn't have to hear them constantly arguing about me.
But yes, like Tat says, none of this is your fault! I'm sure that your dad will respect your decision to go with your mom, if you do have to make it, because he loves you and wants what's best for you.
Keep fighting girly. I know you've got it in you. <3
Eleanor my sweet girl, I'm so sorry that you are having to cope with this on top of all your other battles. Its painfully hard for anyone to have to go through this.
As difficult as this situation is right now with your family, you cannot let it affect your health and your progress. Right now you have to be selfish and just look out for yourself. That's all anyone can ask of you. This is not yours to fix, and neither is it your fault. Keep working on your recovery, for yourself, not for anyone else. The future may be uncertain now with your family, but with anorexia the future will always hold pain, misery, despair and suffering. So stay strong beautiful girl. You will get through this, I promise.
Thinking of you <3
Hannah x
i follow you, your blog is fantastic!
http://gairahlove.blogspot.com/
xoxo
Eleanor - i am totally thinking of you right now and feel horrible that you have to deal with tough family issues right now. Know that YOU are the most important thing right now and that you cannot change what your parents are dealing with right now. I know how strong you are and how far you have come - this too shall pass. If you need anything - im always here!!
xoxo aimee
Eleanor - i am totally thinking of you right now and feel horrible that you have to deal with tough family issues right now. Know that YOU are the most important thing right now and that you cannot change what your parents are dealing with right now. I know how strong you are and how far you have come - this too shall pass. If you need anything - im always here!!
xoxo aimee
This sounds like a really difficult situation for you, and I can only imagine how challenging it must be to keep things together. Your health and recovery are so very important, especially after all the hard work you have put in so far...and whatever happens, please do take care of yourself first and foremost.
I wish I had something more helpful to say. I'm thinking of you and sending hugs...
Sarah x
Eleanor,
I'm sorry sorry things are difficult right now. I know how you feel but it will get better. The thing is though are friends and family just want us to be 100% healthy not 3/4 there, you know? I Understand you are doing so well and weigh more then you ever have but maybe that is still not enough? (i dont know what your doctors say???) I know it feels like a fight that never ends and you feel like just taking a breather and resting but your ED will never let you rest thats why we need to keep fighting.
I'm here for you if you need anything, hang in there please
Dana xoxo
Eleanor,
I'm so sorry about what is happening in your family right now. That is so stressful and puts you in an awful position. Hang in there and try to remember that self care is the most important thing.
I totally relate to what you said about wanting to find your place in the world. My ED has essentially become my identity...if I'm not thinking about food I honestly don't know what to think about. You're a lot farther along in recovery than me, but I also feel an urgency to get out and experience life...like time is just passing me by. We'll both get there someday : ).
Again, hang in there and try to keep your health on the top of the priority list.
Sarah
Im so sorry to hear how tough things are you for at the minute, thats a lot for anyone to be dealing with.
I wish I could say something to make it better. Just remember to focus on you and your health and try not to let anything affect it.
xox
Laura
Dear friend,
you have all of my support, love and compassion. This is a hard time. Both for you, and for those around you. But, if there is a thing we must realize, is there is no point in the blame- game.
An eating disorder affects not only an single individual, it takes a toll on all those who love this individual too. My parents have fought more the previous years, than they ever had. My brother has made it clear he wants me away. These are actions from exhausted, confused, SCARED people.
They are afraid of what is happening, of how an ED can make people feel so totally powerless.
ED can break people down, tear them apart. It is an evil condition in every respect.
Why must you choose between your parents?
If they decide to separate you do not need to reduce the love for one of them. You can love them both, while living with one of them. Please, do not let the thought of this possibility make you feel like a terrible person. Because you are not, Eleanor. You truely are not. You are a fighter, you are a person handling great challenges, battling inner and extern darkness. That is bloody hard, there is no other way to put it.
" I don't want to kill myself, I don't want to die. "
These words, my dear - they are words expressing incredible progress. You realize that using restriction as a coping mechanism is not desireable, and it makes me so proud of you. Your mental health is improving, and I hope you are able to notice that yourself. It is difficult for your father to trust that you are healthy enough to take more responsibility for yourself, he feels more secure when you are under his protective wings. Try to talk to him about it, make an agreement of him gradually letting you make more of your meals. Accept that he wants to be there with you, as a guarantee for the both of you.
Keep fighting, my dear Eleanor. You have accomplished so much, there are no limits for you. Believe me, my heart and mind has faith in you.
<3
stay strong baby :[ i guess I may have had the easy way out in this situation -- my dad didn't give me the option of choosing him. i completely understand what you are going through though. love you so much.
It saddens me to know that the situation at home isn't quite the best for you right now. It must be really tough - more difficult than I am able to know or understand perhaps. Nevertheless, I know how strong you are and how capable you are in doing what's right, and making decisions that are mature and sensible.
It looks like your Dad loves you incredibly much and maybe, he is so afraid to lose you that he has come to unknowingly suffocate you. Talk to him?
Take care love! Don't let the problems you are facing at home affect the life you deserve to have. Stay strong! I'm always here if you need me!
XOXO
Hey girlie,
Congrats on your progress in recovery! I admire all ED sufferers who take on that challenge.
Sounds like your father has found a role which helps him manage his anxiety over his fears for you - food preparer extraordinaire. Why don't you try having a talk with him, and ask him what it would take to prove to him that you were ready to do some of it yourself. Like maybe if you gain three weeks in a row, something like that?
I think you're right that part of recovery is going to be taking that food prep on yourself. But if you lost weight as recently as last month, I could also understand why he would be nervous about returning that freedom to you.
I still think you should talk to him, and maybe let him know you need him more as a Dad than a food preparer!
Regardless, big hugs and good luck!
Oh, hun, I am terribly sorry that you're having to deal with all of this. You are showing such strength and bravery, though. I dealt with a similar upheaval many years ago, and I can promise that you'll make it through. I know it's tough, but you can do this. In the midst of everything, remember to take good care of yourself. That's all you can do right now. xoxo
Babe, this entry makes me so sad, perhaps because it strikes such a strong chord in my heart as well. Having to choose is never pleasant. But maybe, eventually, you will not need to - not when both of those people are such an integral part of your life.
You are strong. You write eloquently. Your thought processes are thorough and will get you far. As alone as you might feel, you are not alone in your struggles. You have so much support and there are so many people who can relate and would love to talk to you.
Lots of love
Hope your okay :( thinking of you and sending prayers your way!
Dana xo
http://happinessiswithin.wordpress.com/
my girl - this is my story right now with my family. it's awful. it's terrifying. i hate it.
i seriously am only clinging on by the grace of God... He is my only security during this time of craziness. if you want to vent to someone who understands or just want me to know you're hurting, please please please email me. i would love nothing more than to connect and support you, and i'm sure you can do the same to me.
hang in there, love. you are awesome.
-r
Post a Comment