Friday, December 31, 2010

Another Year Come, Another Year Gone.

Another stereotypical "end-of-the-year" post. In all honesty, I don't really want to reflect on the happenings of this year. There have been too many, and most of them have been things I would rather forget. But these happenings have shaped who I am – the girl I am today is the result of my past experiences and choices.

Instead of dwelling on the past, however, I'm instead going to look forward, into the future. For instance, tonight I am going to a New Year's party with my closest friend – we will have an absolute blast; we'll dance and sing and drink and be merry and bring in the new year with gusto.

Everyone wants the New Year to be special. Different. New, exciting. I'm not expecting that, though. I've learnt not to. The year ahead is what I make of it – it doesn't come down to luck or blessings. It comes down to effort, commitment, perseverance.
If I'm going to get through the year ahead, I've got to keep looking ahead. Instead of hoping for a better tomorrow, I need to make the most of today.

I know all of these things.
I just have to do them, and that's the trouble. My motivation is wanning.

But
"Where there is life, there is hope."


 

Happy New Year, to all of you. You've all made such a positive impact in my life and that is something I am grateful for. Without you girls (and mabe boys!?) in my life, I wouldn't have the strength I have today. I wouldn't be fighting as hard. I wouldn't have a constant motivation and inspiration.
So thank you. Thank you for being part of my life.

I hope that the new year brings us joy. But we have to fight for it.
Let's fight together.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, let's fight together! I don't like to make new year's resolutions myself, but resolving to keep fighting this year is a good one, I think.
I love what you said about living for the today instead of constantly in hope of a better tomorrow. I am guilty of doing this too. Rarely I am wholly focused on the present, there is always something distracting me for the current moment. But this moment is all we have...there are no guarantees at all for the future so we must enjoy the moment! Sometimes I wonder how it is even possible to only concern myself with the present...but I think the answer lies in finding something that will make us happy NOW rather than waiting for the thing to find us. I know when I'm sketching with some music playing that I'm the closest to being happy in the present...so for starters I probably need to sketch more! I hope you have something that makes you happy Eleanor, you deserve it love.
You deserve happiness, health, laughter, peace, joy, and serenity...you deserve it ALL. Your journey in recovery will continue into the new year Eleanor and you hold the strength to make it into whatever you want it to be. When you don't feel like pushing through anymore message me! I'll always be here : )
Stay strong lovey!! Have fun partying tonight : )

Missy said...

I have always said..."my enire LIFE is one big new year's resolution" You know?

Like when have I ever not woke up wanting to change/be different.

Especially in recovery. So funny how your post mirrors one I have in the works...

Happy New Year, beautiful lady.

~Missy

PS -- only New Years Res I ever kept was NOT to make one. I've had that same one for a few years.

Sairs said...

Hope your New Year is everything you wish it to be and more. I hope that you have an awesome time tonight. Tomorrow I'm sure you'll have weary feet and probably will want to sleep the day away and I hope you have that good of a time tonight. Bring in the new year with gusto for sure. Thinking of you!
*hugs*
Sarah

Tatianna said...

I really love this Eleanor, because it's incredibly smart and responsible. You are realistic, which really is the only way to be. It's easy to keep fighting when we put our faith in good luck and blessings, because we forget how hard we actually have to work in order to make things change for the better.
I know you've had a rough year this year, but I have so much confidence that things will turn around from you. You are a beautiful soul and a dear friend - I hope the new year brings with it the continuation of our friendship.

Thinking of you :)

Unknown said...

this past year HAS been hard, but you know what they say-- there's always a light at the end of the tunnel. choose to go there. it's worth it, YOURE worth it. i promise.

also remember tha tyou're not alone and i'm always here for you

here's to another year of learning, growing and loving.

wishing you a happy healthy and safe new years eve!

Anonymous said...

2011 will be better if you make it better so this is what I will wish you. I wish you to find the strength to make your dreams come true and live the life you want.

I hope you really have a blast tonight :) .

Happy New Year!

Kiki said...

"Where there is life, there is hope." If that is the case (and I know it is) then I have sky-high hopes for you this year. We've already started to see glimpses of the old Eleanor: your writing has a spark again, and you're even going out tonight! In short, you're full of life again, and a spirit that will carry you far in this new year.

Have fun at the party <3

Anonymous said...

What beautiful and touching words from you, Eleanor. They hold so much truth, they come from a heart full of wisdom.
2010 was a year full of challenges, it was a long learning process. You discovered new sied of yourself, you did things you thought was impossible. Breaking boundaries, kicking ED in the ass, screaming out loud as you gradually tried to separate yourself from destructive forces.
My request for you is that you should feel proud of everything you have learned in 2010. Of the struggles you've been through. The tears and the laughter.The lives you have touched and changed. Not to mention that you have started to touch your life, activating your passions, dreams and personality.

Start today with living today. Your future is affected by what you do now. Every single day you are participating in shaping your future. Do not become afraid of that thought, embrace it as an opportunity to continue towards life. You deserve it.

<3

Anonymous said...

Have a Happy New Year Eleanor! You truly deserve it. Those are very inspirational words by the way...I loved reading every single one! I hope you went out with your friend and had a lot of fun!

And you're absolutely right- this year will be what we make it to be.

Take care!
xx

Anonymous said...

Hey hun!
You're so right! Life is what we make it and only that! You're a different person now than you were last year, you're stronger, older, wiser. And I hope you really embrace that!
We're fighting for you, with you. We've got this.

<3
Adina

Kristy Sayer-Jones @ Southern In Law said...

Ahhh. My evil google reader hasn't been telling me you've posted!
I think you are SO smart in being so realistic about the new year - we shouldn't need to wait for a new year to make changes or hope for something new. Because if the need is there, we should act on it. Whether it be embracing something new, or changing something in our lives for the better.

The past is the past, there's no point in dwelling on it because it's GONE. We have to live each day as they come, because life is unpredictable and we never know what is waiting around the corner.

Fighting together with the people who love and support us is the only way to win any battle, a war cannot be fought alone.
And Eleanor, I may not have GINORMOUS muscles or a killer punch but I have a heart, and I'm fighting with you each step of the way.

I love you Eleanor! <3

Ayla said...

Happy New Year, Eleanor! <3

Usually I look at the New Year with a bit of hope that ends up being diminished when nothing changes. This time I'm looking forward with determination, a lot of hope, and the desire to see and make change. I want you to do the same because you.are.worth.it.

2011 is going to be an amazing and glorious year but not just for me, for all of us that strive for it to be so.

jennifer said...

i love this, so positive and inspiring thank you for your amazing words :) xox love jen