Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Jumbles of Words... as always.

I have always loved hearing the thoughts of others, their opinions on the things that are important to me or in my interest. The feedback I get from you wonderful girls is detrimental in this process of healing, as it allows me to see things not just from my point of view (which, in all honesty, is usually negative), but a point-of-view from the outside looking in. When I'm not in a healthy/positive frame of mind, I say things that have the ability to affect my mood even more than I've already been affected, therefore resulting in a very depressive mindset. When I'm not in a healthy/positive frame-of-mind, when I say things that can futher affect my bad mood, I'm overwhelmed with your "counter-active" words, opinions and thoughts.
Words have the ability to turn a frown into a smile, and vice-versa.

"Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace. "
"Whatever words we utter should be chosen with care for people will hear them and be influenced by them for good or ill. "

I could go on quoting the Buddha for so long; the more I read about him, the more I realize just how important we are to ourselves.
He is able who thinks he is able.

We all have the power to become whatever it is we want to be, and that power, like anything, can be used for good or ill.
Every human being is the author of his own health or disease.

No, we're not responsible for developing cancer, or other forms of disease, but we do have some choice over our health. I know it's not as easy as that, just "being good" or "making the right choices", because Anorexia is a possessive mental illness that has characteristics not many others (upon my research, anyway! Correct me if I'm wrong) diseases have. It takes over minds, confuses our thought processes, it "becomes" a part of our minds and can take control. No, we can't necessarily help that or prevent it, but we can do something about it. We have that power. This is still our body, our mind, our life.

I don't know where I'm going with this, to be completely honest. I just needed to vent, to do something somewhat productive; words have a soothing effect on me sometimes, though at other times words fail me. Sometimes, it's almost painful to construct a sentence. Sometimes, words wont fit together like they should, like they're supposed to.
I have a feeling, an inkling, that today is going to be one of the latter days. A day where words fail me, cause me inexplicable pain, making me want to gouge my eyes out with a blunt pencil.
Yeah, I've got exams today. Exams I haven't really "studied" for. I'm not prepared. I'm freaking out of my mind about it. Procrastination will not get me anywhere, I keep telling myself. But nope, it's just not sinking in. When it comes to putting pen to paper today, I hope something somewhat intelectual comes out.
(I can see it now: a page full of sentences/paragraphs that have been crossed out, written over, scribbled on, re-worded...)
I know that I am capable. I know that I can write, I can structure a sentence, I can write an essay. But again, it's not sinking in.

My belief in myself is in the negative numbers. I have absolutely no idea how I'm going to make it through the day. I've been struggling, trying to come to terms with the fact that the only way I'm ever goign to get my life back is to "just gain weight", and damnit I wish it was that easy. It's not that easy. If I don't start trying to help myself then I'm going to end up a lost cause; I don't want to be a lost cause. I want to be someone. Right now, I'm noone. I can't have that.

[end: verbal vomit/]
I'm sorry if none of this makes sense.
I just hope I make it through this week.

We all have so much to give to the world.
It's time to start giving to ourselves.


love, love, love.

17 comments:

A@ Please Don't Eat Me! said...

its so easy to pass on good thoughts and kind words to someone else, but when it comes to our selves we are our own worst enemy.. one of the goals in recovery is of course to gain weight, but it should also be to become your own friend, to have the ability to look in the mirror and not see a monster- to see.. you.. to be able to think about yourself without wanting to hurt yourself in some way to just BE YOURSELF!: ) you can do it!!!

Jennifer said...

Sweetheart, you are SO MUCH MORE than capable...i am frustrated and angry at the eating disorder for making someone so capable,bright, so talented, question herself and have such a dreadful struggle with self-belief,worth and esteem.
Yet we allknow, that is what ED does - he desires to mae us feel so incredibly useless, worthless, incapable and such failures, that we do not even dare to try, instead remaining trapped in our negative mindsets, brimming with his lies!!
As you go into your exams today, PLEASE LET ELEANORS THOUGHTS and VOICE and WORDS come to the fore - KNOW THAT Y-O-U CAN DO THIS,THAT ED IS A SCHEMING LIAR and THAT BUDDHA I-S CORRECT - YOU ARE WORTHY, YOU ARE ABLE, YOU ARE A FORCE TO BE RECKONED WITH - PLEASE,sweetheart, do your best to LEAVE ED AT THE DOOR OF THE EXAM ROOM, HE HAS NO PLACE IN YOUR CAPABLE,INTELLIGENT,TALENTED,TRUE MINDSET!!!!
Just take ELEANOR to the exam - she is all you need!!!
MUCH LOVE AND A HUG TO LAST THROUGHOUT THE EXAMS,
Jennifer x

amandajane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
amandajane said...

Eleanor!
your comment to me was so beautiful I welled with tears, seriously you are the most incredible person Eleanor, I am so thankful for you!

Your words make so much sense, dear. It is so true and beautiful that "Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace' I hope the words that bring you peace truly make you see your beauty, it is the most precious real wise natural beauty! What you tell yourself is so important, and being vulnerable to words and emotions can also be more of a positive thing, as you relate and grasp and empathize so well. I hope you hear this - that you are so much more than your ed, your kindness and radiance shines so bright, and overpowers any negative thing ed may tell you, because it is just so silly that Eleanor could even be any of those things, you aren't! you are so WORTH IT! I love you and believe in you so!
Amanda

Emily said...

Have faith in yourself, Eleanor. You are the only person that can make this happen. You have all the strength and support you need.

Choose to fight ED. Choose to be healthy.

xoxo
love you!

Walking thru Sunflowers said...

Eleanor - i believe in you and know that you are so much stronger than this illness!!!!! We are all here to support you!!!!!!!!!!!! i know you can do this - try to take just one hour a a time - im here if u need anything - stay strong - aimee xoxo

Tori said...

I don't claim to have beat my ED yet, because I know the real struggle won't be over until I have my weight/health restored. The hard part is truly commiting yourself to fight and stay strong. It's going to be a constant struggle and probably one of the hardest things i'll ever do. But I have to keep telling myself 'it's worth it'. Because it will be worth it once I have my life back. Yes it's hard, but it's worth it. YOU are worth it.

Please keep fighting!
<3 Tori

Anonymous said...

If it were that easy, I don't think any of us would have had a problem to begin with. You're getting closer to beating it every single day, Eleanor. You are such a beautiful and inspiring person. I know that is probably hard for you to believe, but it is so incredibly true. Good luck on your exams! Love you!! -Kylee

mariposai said...

I hope you don't find my words detrimental in any way, because this is not as they are intended ;)

Like the other commenters say, you are closer than you think, you WANT recovery, but have not yet worked out your path towards it. This will come. Everyone has to navigate their own way through the weight gain and recovery process, find their own ways of justifying it in their head, their own coping mechanisms and such. I always thought of this as like a jigsaw. I knew what picture I was aiming to see, but couldn't quite find all the pieces, or decide where the ones I had were to go.

Trial and error is often the key...you have to have faith and take a risk, trust when we say that weight gain will be the best foundation possible for your recovery, because it will enable your body and brain to function better and challenge all the other stuff.

Hang in there...

Sarah x

Tatianna said...

Eleanor,
Just like you, I have a passion for words. I understand how frustrating it can be to not have the right words to express your feelings - like even though you know you are smart enough, somehow you have failed.
But you haven't failed, Eleanor! You are many things.. and a failure IS not and WILL not ever be one of them. I have always admired your writing skills, and even though you feel like you are having trouble explaining yourself, you are doing a pretty darn good job :P

It all comes back to the difference between knowing what is right, and doing what is right. I know you have it in you to 'just gain weight'.. you just have to be ready to take the plunge.

You are NOT noone Eleanor.. you are just someone who has lost their way a little bit :) Have faith in yourself, and the world around you, that everything will be ok.
I love you, my dear :)
Tat

I think it's so great that you are reading so much into Buddhism... the quotes are all so true.

Becca said...

darling, your words are NEVER word vomit. you are beautiful and you have such an elegant way of expressing your feelings.
i hope your exams went well! you are so smart, i'm sure you did absolutely fine even if you didn't study!! <3
love you so much girlie.

Anonymous said...

i love buddha...he was well wise beyond years... but you must use those quotes and ACT on them, not wonder about them, ponder them, and say they are right. you need your thoughts to become passions, actions and goals. you need to pave your path to recovery and follow it. from reading you, you have the MINDSET, you want this, and you NEED IT. take what it is blocking your ability to push forward with recovery and deal with it so it is not an issue. you may want to check out a post i did before my current one.

keep pushing forward girl youre stronger and you realize!

Amanda @ . seek . said...

Beautiful. Strong. Wise. Loving. Capable. Deserving. That's you, love. Notice anything missing in that list? Mm hmm. "No one" has no place there. You are someone, Eleanor. Someone who deserves every happiness that life has to offer. Never, ever doubt that, and stop letting ED convince you otherwise.

Words are beautiful in their power to create, but terrifying in their power to destroy. We do have to choose our words wisely, especially when directing them at ourselves. If we use negative words, we believe negative things. If we use positive words, we will eventually believe positive things... even if it doesn't seem like we're getting anywhere at first.

After a lifetime spent directing negative words at ourselves, it's going to take a while for the positive ones to sink in. That doesn't mean it's not doable, just that we have to be patient with the process. You do deserve love and happiness, Eleanor, and you can achieve them; I know it. There's strength in you that's just waiting to be unleashed.

Anonymous said...

It's definitely not easy to 'just gain weight' especially once the psychological aspect of recovery comes into play, but you know what? I honestly believe that you have what it takes to be the happy, healthy Eleanor you deserve to be.

I mean, sure, life won't always be happy happy joy joy but it's definitely better than being stuck in a world of loneliness and darkness. Right?? Right!!

Stay strong hun and keep writing away - You have a wonderful gift!

Nat
xoxo

Balaphoto said...

Good write!!! Fantastic!!

http://balapertotarreu.blogspot.com

Frank

Jessie said...

You are such an intelligent beautiful young woman and I'm always amazed at your ability to express yourself so well. I think you've really hit an important point in looking at anorexia as an illness and how that affects our choices and our ability to recover. No, we didn't choose to have this and we aren't choosing our ED-driven behaviors. But just like any other disease we can choose to get help and get treatment. Even though this is so hard with anorexia because part of the disease is that we are so resistant to getting help. It's not simple and it's not easy but you are doing such an amazing job fighting against this. Good for you!

Anonymous said...

What a great resource!