I think I've sort of been avoiding posting. I'm not 100% sure why that is, but I think it might have something to do with the fact that I've been a whiney little mole for the past I-don't-know-how-long-and-don't-want-to-know-how-long and I'll bet my bottom dollar you girls are getting sick of my complaints!
(Warning: This whole post is likely to be one big complaint, too. Sigh.)
It's Sunday morning. 6:40am, to be exact. I haven't slept much; I've been exhausted all week, and the "week-end" hasn't really been much of an "end" to anything. My relaxation vibes have decided to take a holiday without me and have left a replacement: Mr. I'm-Going-To-Stress-About-Eeeeverything. Not a welcome guest.
Yesterday didn't start off my weekend in a very welcome way, either. Dietitian Doomsday, yes. As expected, I freak out the week before my bi-monthly weigh-in/appointment. Then jump on the scales to see I've shifted upwards just a smidgen, then get my mealplan examined and changed a bit.
I thought I would be okay with that. And I was, til it came afternoon snack time. ED hadn't been, and hasn't been, that big a part of my thoughts recently and I've been taking that really well. The thoughts have been there, but they haven't been overwhelming. Last night's little episode made me realize just how prominent the thoughts still are, and how sneaky they're becoming; in turn making me sneaky. ED freaked, using my mouth, my words, my voice, to portray the feelings that had welled up about certain things. My mother copped the butt of this, and I copped her harsh backfires. She's vicious. And those comments hurt. But honestly, without her verbal mastery I would not have eaten my afternoon tea, or dinner. If it weren't for her percistence, and her love for me, I wouldn't be where I am now.
Yesterday didn't start off my weekend in a very welcome way, either. Dietitian Doomsday, yes. As expected, I freak out the week before my bi-monthly weigh-in/appointment. Then jump on the scales to see I've shifted upwards just a smidgen, then get my mealplan examined and changed a bit.
I thought I would be okay with that. And I was, til it came afternoon snack time. ED hadn't been, and hasn't been, that big a part of my thoughts recently and I've been taking that really well. The thoughts have been there, but they haven't been overwhelming. Last night's little episode made me realize just how prominent the thoughts still are, and how sneaky they're becoming; in turn making me sneaky. ED freaked, using my mouth, my words, my voice, to portray the feelings that had welled up about certain things. My mother copped the butt of this, and I copped her harsh backfires. She's vicious. And those comments hurt. But honestly, without her verbal mastery I would not have eaten my afternoon tea, or dinner. If it weren't for her percistence, and her love for me, I wouldn't be where I am now.
I am slowly, slowly starting to realize that the things Mum says aren't directed at me anymore. Yes, she says my name, Eleanor, she looks directly into my eyes when she lashes her sharp tongue, but she's not talking to me. She's trying to find me. She's trying to talk me onto the right side, bullying the ED thoughts out of my mind, Eleanor's mind. She's incredible.
We have our differences, we have our petty little mother-daughter fights. But I'm a teenager. I'm supposed to disagree with everything my parents say. That's normal! My stubborness and selfishness is just magnified by ED.
Screw ED. ED has turned me into a monster and damnit, I'm not that bad a person and I know it.
We have our differences, we have our petty little mother-daughter fights. But I'm a teenager. I'm supposed to disagree with everything my parents say. That's normal! My stubborness and selfishness is just magnified by ED.
Screw ED. ED has turned me into a monster and damnit, I'm not that bad a person and I know it.
The past few weeks have been horrendous, I won't lie. I've cheated, I've lied, I've been deceptive and dishonest and I've abused trust. But something has started to whittle its way into my mind. I'm not entirely sure what it is, but I think it's hope.
You girls, your words of kindness, your support, your love and compassion and thoughts; they've impacted me in ways that I've never experienced before. I've never felt such a strong sense of love; I've seen it, but I've never felt its full force, it's never been directed at me. Having that magnitude of intense love, compassion, support and kindness has done more for me than I realized.
You've pushed me forward when I was stuck.
You've given me light in my darkest of times.
You've opened my eyes; allowed me to see the beautiful things when all I saw was the ugly. You've taught me to appreciate my body, and listen to its messages, cravings, signs.
From you I've learned to appreciate all that it does for me and all that it can do for me.
You've shown me the things I can do if I do the right thing by my body and my mind.
You've given me light in my darkest of times.
You've opened my eyes; allowed me to see the beautiful things when all I saw was the ugly. You've taught me to appreciate my body, and listen to its messages, cravings, signs.
From you I've learned to appreciate all that it does for me and all that it can do for me.
You've shown me the things I can do if I do the right thing by my body and my mind.
You've given me hope.
I'm still on Negative Nancy's side at the moment, but every day I'm becoming more aware of my thoughts instead of ED's, and doing what I want as opposed to what ED wants.
Struggles mean we're fighting. We're fighting for us, for ourselves, for our lives.
I've been studying Buddhism in my Religion & Society class; Buddha believes we are all capable of happiness. We are all capable of being "enlightened"; the end of suffering. I am by no means an expert in the religion, but through reading of it, I've become aware of just how much of this positive way of thinking can be benefitted from.
"You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection."
No one deserves our love more than we deserve our love.
Loving ourselves is so important; we're going to live with ourselves our whole lives, so why not take care of the person we'll be with?
"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. "
This is our journey. No one can walk our path for us.
But we don't have to walk it alone.
But we don't have to walk it alone.
"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment."
I don't know what I'm thinking, I don't know what I should do/what I want to do, I don't know where I am, I don't know where I'm going... But I'm going to follow this path, and see where it takes me. Because where it takes me might be better than where I am now - I just can't see it yet.
love, love, love.
15 comments:
I'm so glad you can recognise that your mum is mad at the ED and not you, and that she desperately wants to help you. She sounds like a good ally to have around. Don't berate yourself for blogging about having a hard time, recovery is difficult and this is your space to say whatever you like about it.
That last paragraph sums it up for me. I just wrote a post the other day about having faith. I never believed that recovery could be better, but I trusted in others and what they told me, I had faith that if I at least tried, then there was a chance, however small, that something different could be something better. Now I know it's true.
It WILL be better. And that's a promise.
Sarah x
Looking back at the worst times of my ED, I had lost a lot of faith in my religion and stopped caring so much about it. But now that I have opened myself up to recover, my faith has found me again. I think no matter what religion, it's important to have that faith to pull you through the dark times. Faith has the power to enlighten us all.
You are so beautiful Eleanor, I hope you realize this. Every part of you is special, and don't let ed take your personality or your life. I love you, and I support you so much.
xx
Amy
FAITH... in YOURSELF,in SOMETHING BETTER than this, in an ED-FREE FUTURE, in CONTENTMENT,PEACE and HAPPINESS...this faith is vital!!
HOPE...that YOU CAN and WILL RECOVER, that YOU ARE A PRECIOUS HUMAN BEING and WORTHY OF AN AMAZING LIFE,that ED is NOT THE REAL YOU...this hope too,is vital!!
LOVE...of and for YOURSELF, of your MIND,BODY,HEART and BEING, of those around you, of LIFE ITSELF and what it has to offer and what YOU have to offer it...this LOVE is most vital!!!
FAITH, HOPE and LOVE...HOLD TIGHT and GROW THESE in you heart and mind...xxoo jennifer
I love Buddha quotes!
Eleanor, this post is amazing. I can tell you are different by just reading your words. I'm really happy to see the conclusion about your mom! Knowing that she is trying to find you will make things easier when she gets upset at things, I think. You are such a beautiful girl with an incredibly beautiful soul. Hold onto that hope, Eleanor, let it grow. Love you (: -Kylee
You are such a beautiful writer. I am so happy to find your blog. Please keep fighting, sweetie! Hold on to that hope with everything you have. x
Hey lou lou here from boostforward, I am having to make my blog private in a few days as I want to continue blogging but something pretty shitty happened, I was going into treatment at a clinic, I have been in touch with the guy for a month now emails, calls and all kinds of things. My parents had been through the facility with him and sat with him for an hour discussing treatment plans and my history and my desperate need for help. i showed up yesterday after lunch like he said to, expecting to begin my treatment at the alcahol, dr*g and eating disorder clinic and stay for a month, mum and dad paid a lot of money, when we showed up nobody was there, it was a complete scam, he used to work there and it had stopped being operational a few weeks ago, it was deserted, unmarked and sickening. i really want to continue blogging. I just want to stay in touch with my blogsphere peoples whether they are anonymous or not, only thing is im turning boostforward to private cos i stupidly gave the guy my URL to show progress and history etc, I may have to change URL, untill this mess is figured out i have to do this. I am going to post this on peoples comments too. I am going to switch it to private in a few days. theres so much thats happened that i dont want to write just now while its public. please email me so i caninvite you to read my blog to my alias blogging email amanda.brunning@gmail.com ... not my name. if you aren't comfortable with that, i totally understand!
xx arohanui lou
Eleanor!
Even though you think this is just one more complaint.. this post is SO important. You might still feel like you are stuck, but you have made so many important realizations! Learning that the ED thoughts can attack from behind can be overwhelming, but it is so important to keep your guard up. Accepting these voices, accepting your mother's words, accepting the fact that deep down you know you are a better person... these are all things that are going to lead you to the life of health and happiness that you deserve.
The fact that you are accepting your mom's hurtful words as a sign that she cares about you is amazing - last week you would have been singing an entirely different tune.
You are such a beautiful and amazing girl.. I am so thankful that you are finally starting to feel hopeful, because it will get better. You deserve everything my dear... you deserve your own love just as much as you deserve the sun, the stars and the moon :) There is such a bright future ahead of you.. and I know you can do this. This is just the beginning of something truly beautiful.
I love you :)
Tat
even though ED is still prominent, it's so great to hear that his constant nagging isn't overwhelming in your head! that is wonderful :) And it's absolutely amazing that you can take your mom's words and not let them effect YOU, only ED. To realize that takes a lot of strength.
xoxo
stay strong!
this is such a beautiful post eleanor! i'm so sorry you are struggling right now but it really seems like you are starting to turn things around. you mother loves you and i'm so glad you are able to recognize that. you deserve everything this world has to offer. you are amazing, beautiful, so so intelligent. you WILL make it out of this. i love you so much.
p.s. thanks for adding my bloggie to your blog roll! it seems that a few girlies have fallen through the cracks with my move to wordpress but i'm glad you're back on the bandwagon :]
Don't apologize for being a "negative Nancy", love. We're all entitled to have our down times. Even though you still perceive yourself to be complaining, I see a shift in your posts, Eleanor... I'm seeing the beginning of something; the birth of a desire, of hope. I can see that you truly want to get better, and you're struggling between the two opposing sides of your mind. But keep doing the right thing... the thing that Eleanor wants... and the other voice will become weaker and weaker.
You have the fight, and the strength, in you to beat this, love. I can see the fiery spirit within you. When it finally breaks free, you'll be unstoppable. <3
such a lovely post girl.. although you talk about how you're struggling with ED thoughts.. I can sense the hopefulness in your tone. You're so right, teenagers are SUPPOSE to fight with their parents, its just hard when you have an ED AND your a teenager because all of your feelings are amplified. You are allowed to vent and complain about the hard things in your life, because thats how you move past it... so don't apologize for being a "negative nancy" you're just frustrated! (which is totally understandable) Stay strong girlie!!
xoxo
-A <3
Eleanor,
this was full of beauty and raw honesty darling, do not get down on yourself for sharing how you feel, they are your feelings and you are entitled to feel them, share them. You have grown so much, Eleanor. Your beauty and strength shine through every insight..knowing it is your ed that is causing distortions and upsetting relationships, not you! And you are getting past this and realizing this and getting more amazing by the day. I believe in you so so much Eleanor, you are a beautiful soul, a beautiful person, and a beautiful friend. Know I am always here for you!
xoxo
amanda
"I think it is hope."
that is so so so important, remember that hope is always there. Admire it. Seek it. Become it. It is such a hard thought to come to, that your mom is fighting for you, not with you. For every down, you seem to find a wonderful trueism. Hold on to those positive thoughs; those are yours.
Your writing is very beautiful, as is the truth behind them. Lovely post.
Eleanor - your words are so inspiring and touching - these quotes are so powerful and we must believe them. You deserve to be happy and healthy and are not alone on this journey - i truly believe that with the help of friends we can get thru this!!!!!!
Loved your honesty in this post!!!!!
xoxo aimee
Post a Comment