I feel the need to post this morning.
Currently, it's 6:30 in the morning, and I'm sitting down with my bowl of oats. This is how I start every one of my mornings, and usually, every morning I'm full of peace, calm and clarity.
These past few mornings, nay, a whole week of mornings, I've not been feeling anything of the sort. I wake up at 5:20am, on the dot, every day. That's how I start my day, and it's how I like to start my day. That time of the morning, no one is up. I am alone, with the quiet of the morning. Nothing stirs except for the chriping birds, the gentle breeze and the occasional car driving past on their way to their early-morning job. That's my yoga time. I feel at peace with everything when I'm doing yoga, but only if I'm undisturbed.
This past week, my mother, for whatever reason, has decided to wake up at the crack of dawn also, and every single morning I have been disturbed by her. She makes my dinner in the morning, and puts it in the fridge. I have no problem with this, but when I hear her making it, peeling, cutting, chopping, steaming, using the mircowave... All while I'm trying to forget about my problems with food. It's counter-productive. And today, it got the better of me. I stopped, midway through doing my yoga, to sit here and mope about it.
Currently, it's 6:30 in the morning, and I'm sitting down with my bowl of oats. This is how I start every one of my mornings, and usually, every morning I'm full of peace, calm and clarity.
These past few mornings, nay, a whole week of mornings, I've not been feeling anything of the sort. I wake up at 5:20am, on the dot, every day. That's how I start my day, and it's how I like to start my day. That time of the morning, no one is up. I am alone, with the quiet of the morning. Nothing stirs except for the chriping birds, the gentle breeze and the occasional car driving past on their way to their early-morning job. That's my yoga time. I feel at peace with everything when I'm doing yoga, but only if I'm undisturbed.
This past week, my mother, for whatever reason, has decided to wake up at the crack of dawn also, and every single morning I have been disturbed by her. She makes my dinner in the morning, and puts it in the fridge. I have no problem with this, but when I hear her making it, peeling, cutting, chopping, steaming, using the mircowave... All while I'm trying to forget about my problems with food. It's counter-productive. And today, it got the better of me. I stopped, midway through doing my yoga, to sit here and mope about it.
I don't know how to talk to her about it. I don't know if I can talk to her about it. I'm terrified of the woman. There's never a "good morning sweetie, how did you sleep?" or a hug or kiss or even a smile.
To make matters worse, the first words she uttered to me were "If you haven't put on weight next time you get weighed, you're coming home from school every day to eat lunch."
Good morning to you too, mother. I wish approaching her was easy. I wish getting her to understand was as simple as speaking a few small words. I wish, I wish, I wish.
I need to do, do, do.
To make matters worse, the first words she uttered to me were "If you haven't put on weight next time you get weighed, you're coming home from school every day to eat lunch."
Good morning to you too, mother. I wish approaching her was easy. I wish getting her to understand was as simple as speaking a few small words. I wish, I wish, I wish.
I need to do, do, do.
On to a lighter note.
Happy Valentine's Day!
My Valentine's Day ended about 7 hours ago, but on the other side of the world I imagine it's still the day of love. To celebrate love, in all its glory, my two best girlfriends and I went and watched Valentine's Day at the movies. There was aww-ing and cooing and gasping and sighing and giggling... And maybe one or two almost spilt tears! Almost! There were some pretty intense moments in that movie. But that was the extent of my V-Day. I was going to use the day to show myself love, but I never ended up doing anything.
My Valentine's Day ended about 7 hours ago, but on the other side of the world I imagine it's still the day of love. To celebrate love, in all its glory, my two best girlfriends and I went and watched Valentine's Day at the movies. There was aww-ing and cooing and gasping and sighing and giggling... And maybe one or two almost spilt tears! Almost! There were some pretty intense moments in that movie. But that was the extent of my V-Day. I was going to use the day to show myself love, but I never ended up doing anything.
I wish I could have done somethng nice for myself. I know, in my heart of hearts, that I deserve love, and I deserve love from myself. I'm still having a lot of problems with myself, though, and I can't seem to push past them. There's not much love floating around in my world at the moment and that has to change in order for me to move on. It all comes down to me. The only way I'll push past these problems with myself is to first of all, confront them.
I know I should be using every day, every opportunity I get, to love myself. And the best way to do that right now, would be to nourish myself. I have to give myself a chance to really know what it feels like to live. I'm living a half-life. One void of love, compassion, nurture. One void of life.
Love makes the world go 'round
right?
right?
Let's hear it for lovin'.
I sure need my world to keep spinning.
I sure need my world to keep spinning.
Love yourself, girls, because you are worth loving.
♥ ♥ ♥
love, love, love.




13 comments:
aww i'm sorry about your mornings :( maybe you should just tell her you need that time to recoup, you know? being surrounded by that stress all of the time won't help anybody out.
and happy valentine's day to you too! it's still almost 4:00 here, so i'm going to go out to eat with jeffrey in a couple hours!
♥ lindsey
If you cannot tell yourself, then let me say that you ARE worth loving, and I don't lie about these things ;)
We all have different relationships with our parents, and often parent and child find it difficult to communicate with each other. An important part of my therapy was realising that although my parents did care, they weren't always showing it in the way I wanted, and sometimes we miss the clues. The fact that your mum gets up and makes you dinner, and that she wants you to gain weight may not seem like indications of love when ED warps the mind, but she is probably very worried about you, and is not sure what to do for the best.
ED likes to convince us that we aren't worth loving, so it twists the way we percieve others and how they act towards us. There's lots of evidence in this post that you are a lovable person...your friends, your mum, they want to be a part of your life. All the people who read your blog too, we all love you. Ultimately though, the most important love of all, is yours for yourself.
I still don't love myself as much as I'd like, but without ED getting in the way as often, I'm getting closer and closer, and so will you.
Wow sorry for the epic comment...again! Happy valentines for what will now be 'yesterday' in your time zone :-)
Sarah x
Maybe you can ask your mom to wait until you've done your yoga? I understand how important that time is. Maybe you could even ask her to join you one day (one day...)
I know it doesnt seem like it, but she does love you, and there isn't that warm morning wake up because she's worried. I know, I know, Why can't she be sweet and kind?
Enjoy your monday! Even though it's still my Sunday!
I love you so much Eleanor.. and not just because it's Valentine's Day :)
It breaks my heart to hear of the hostility between you and your mother. Eating disorders have an intense impact on the entire family.. I have found that they can distance even the closest of people if we aren't careful.
But it doesn't have to be this way Eleanor.. eating disorders can also be a blessing in disguise - they can serve to bring people even closer than before, and reveal the amount of unconditional love that is everywhere around us.
Try to understand where your mom is coming from - she loves you so much, and wants nothing more than to see you get better. Would it be worthwhile to try having a conversation about it?
Trust me, I know how awful it feels to have your morning disrupted... I literally have a breakdown if I don't have peace and quiet in the morning. Honestly, taking the time of anxiety to sit down and blog out your feelings was probably the best decision you could have made.
You are worthy of love; not just from the people around you, but from yourself. You were put on this earth because of love, and you are going to leave it one day (.. at the ripe old age of 102 or so!) having left love in the hearts of so many others.
xox
Tat
You know Un-Birthdays? Well (being the all powerful person that I am... Narcissism much? lol) I'm declaring every day for you an Un-Valentine's Day. That means EVERY DAY is another opportunity for you to love Eleanor, bestow upon yourself the kindness that you so readily give to others. I hope you have a lot of spare paper lying around, because you're going to be writing yourself a lot of Un-Valentine's day cards! ;)
As for your Mom I can sooo relate, but for me while ED shredded my relationships with both parents, the fear and terror aspect was much more with my Dad. But your parents DO love you, even though it may not feel like it (especially with ED whispering his input in your ear). You can have a better relationship with them, but know that we're all here to give you love and support too!
Rachael*
And you my dear, are worth loving too! And you are! I'm sorry to hear about how tough it is to approach your Mum but at the end of the day, she is still your Mum. Sometimes, when I find it difficult to talk things out face-to-face with my parents, I write to them instead. Maybe you can try that? Afterall, you have a beautiful way with words and in that way, you can convey how you feel to your Mum, and she can have the time thereafter to reflect and think about what you have to say.
Looks like you had a wonderful Valentine's with two of your girlfriends. x) Good on you hun. You deserve it!
xx
I love you, Eleanor. It breaks my heart that you haven't developed true love for yourself. You are getting closer every single day, though. You are growing stronger and your craving for a full life of your own is also growing stronger. ED is putting up a good fight, but you are slowly pushing your way through to get to that life that you deserve so much! You're so beautiful, Eleanor. I can't wait until you think so too!
As for your mom, I'm sorry that happens. I know I need my "me" time too, to just get my thoughts off of everything, especially food. For me, it's reading. I can imagine how difficult that must be :( It makes sad to know that your mom would probably not understand if you told her how you feel.
Keep goin', beautiful!
-Kylee
I can absolutely relate to this. I feel the same way about my mother--I just don't know how to talk to her. And I feel like she doesn't get a lot of what I go through with ED. I don't have any good words of advice, but wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you.
oh wow,
i love YOU eleanor. so happy to be reading your blog again, gathering your words of courage and hope and self discovery and wrapping them up in my arms to hold next to my heart, just as you deserve to love everything about yourself, without the hardships of a destructive ed entity, and a complicated relationship with your mother, all due to this horrid ed, but you will get past it, i am SURE of it. your words amaze me and inspire me and they come from the most strong place of will and power and courage, from Eleanor.
You can do this, I'm holding your hand across the oceans ;p
lovelovelove
amanda
OH MY GOODNESS. I LOVED this post. You are such an incredible person, as the others have already mentioned and I hope you are able to take the time to love yourself-- bc if you can't love you, how could love another?
youre the sweetest!
p.s. coincidence: i was up at 63am doing yoga ;)
do we have the same mom? i think we might ;] lol. stay strong baby, i know how tough it can be with the parental units moping around all the time. but just stay tough and keep trying baby! it will get easier, i promise!
and WOW, i wish i had the type of motivation to get up in the morning and do yoga. i'd prob be much more chilled out lol.
love you so much darling :]
becca
moms are no fun. especially when it comes to comments like the one she gave you. I am so sorry, darling.
on another note, I hope you had a wonderful, happy valentine's day! even if you didn't manage to show yourself love, you've got so much time to do so :)
love you!
xoxo
I know i haven't been on as often but all my love is still there <3
Post a Comment