Monday, February 8, 2010

Procrastination Nation.

Homework: Mountains of it.
Due dates: Mountains of them.
Time: None.

Motivation: What's motivation?

Procrastinating is the only art I am skilled in. When it comes to procrastinating, I'm your woman. Procrastination is my first middle name. Okay, you get the idea. The reality of my life for the next two years is starting to sink in: I am going to have a lot of homework, and I am expected to complete it all and have it handed in on the due date, no excuses. I have a lot of responsibilities. I'm being treated like an adult. These are all scary things, things I am not used to. I feel alone in feeling this - sure, people are overwhelmed by the amount of homework they're getting, but they shrug it off. Me, no, I take it to a whole new level. I freak out, I panic, I stress. I work myself up into unnecessary states of anxiety and freak other people out by my freaking out. I know I need to get the homework done, but I find myself unable to do it.
Is it my overthinking? Probably.
So why I can't I stop it? If I knew the answer to that, I wouldn't be bitching about it.

I re-read my post from last night and realized just how sad I appeared to be. I didn't even know the half of what I was saying last night, and my feelings obviously were so overwhelming that I didn't actually feel them. It shocked me, actually, seeing just how emotional I can be. I don't want to feel like that, and I certainly don't want to come across as a moany, pitiful, annoying person who complains just for the hell of it. That's the last thing I want, and reading over my entry last night made me think of myself as just that. I wish I could just stop putting myself down and making myself feel like shit, because I know it's not getting me anywhere.
Stressing myself out for no reason other than because I can is unhealthy and unnecessary. I could be using that time productively, I could be doing anything other than over-thinking and over-analysing every tiny little aspect of my life, be it my school work, my mind, my body, my future.

Yes, school is going to be difficult.
Yes, now more than ever I need to take control of my ED.
Yes, that's going to be hard.
But YES, I can do it.

 
I've been snacking again, and ED's been at me. I'm trying with all my might to keep the voice down, block out the abuse. But when I snack, Ifeel so out of control. I'm not even hungry when I do it, usually. I just... Do it. I don't know why, and I'm getting increasingly scared about it. I don't want it to lead to a binge, because I know exactly what will happen if I binge. That's something I've been trying to avoid, knowing full well what that binge will lead to. I don't understand why I've been doing this. I don't feel like I need it, I just do it.
It's a double-edged sword. If I ignore the urge to snack, I'm fuelling ED. But if I snack, ED goes crazy on me.


This is something I'm going to have to accept. Obviously, whether I realize it or not, by body is asking for something, and my body is going into auto-pilot, doing what needs to be done in order to satisfy that craving/urge. After ignoring those messages for so long, it's taking its time figuring out what to do with those messages. It's foreign to my mind, but my body knows what's up.

Our bodies are truly amazing things, and the sooner I learn to appreciate my amazing machine, the sooner I can find the self-acceptance I've been searching so desperately for.

"As you work toward your goal, anxiously anticipating the light at the end of
the tunnel, don't forget to notice the light that shines upon you today."

Michelle C. Ustaszeski

Each day, each challenge we face, is a step towards the light at the end of the tunnel. Each day is a day full of that light, and sometimes, we forget to acknowledge our successes and achievements. Don't let a day go by without congratulating yourself for the amazing things you do. You're all incredible. We are all incredible.

Bask in the glow of the light that shines upon you today. Every day.

love, love, love.

11 comments:

mariposai said...

Gosh I'm glad it's not just me :-)
I really really cannot find my brain...it's hiding from me argghh

You are by no means moaning and pitiful, you are open and honest, and this is the best way to be. Your ED is trying to latch onto your stress, and whilst snacking may seem out of control, it's just your body telling you it needs energy to function.

School is hard with an ED yabbering on at you...and I admire you so much for embracing the challenge, but if it ever gets too much, don't be afraid to ask for help...are there any teachers you can confide in if you are struggling?

I wish my procrastination was as beautifully worded as yours my dear, and please appreciate what a big and courageous step you are taking by trying to tackle ED and school simultaneously.

I wish my brain were here to give you words that would help...as soon as it returns I will be right here with something more useful to say :-)

Sarah x

AMY said...

I thought I was the queen of procrastination, but i suppose I can share the title ;)

It seems I cannot find my brain lately either. Perhaps ours have wandered off together??

:)

<3

mariposai said...

A brainless me has emailed you back...apologies if it makes little sense, my brain is still on the run...but I will catch it!

hehe

xxx

Becca said...

baby, you are NOT moany and pitiful! this is your bloggie to express all your feelings throughout and you are allowed to be sad! in fact, i think its more healthy to be sad then to "not have those feelings to begin with" because that means ED is in play. i know things seem so overwhelming right now but I find that in order to stop feeling that stress, I do things the moment i get them assigned. this way, they barely stay on my mind--in and out speedy quick! :]
love you baby

sabrina said...

You definitely do not come across as moany or pitiful. Crying is a good form of release. I always feel loads better after a good cry. The most important thing is to learn to pick yourself up after the fall. But in ED's case, the pick up is pretty challenging, as we all know.

I guess your snacking is fuelled by stress? Idk...maybe you can try the out of sight, out of mind advice?

Currently I'm also procrastinating. I have a test tmr which involves loads of memory work. What am I doing here blog-reading??!!

Ruby Converse and Curls said...

I guess your brain and my brain are both off having a picnic together on some mountain, because mine is no where to be found! And if you're the queen of procrastination then I'm the archbishop or something. ;)
I don't think you're moany or pitiful at all. You're honest, and in those moments when you are really struggling you don't cover it up with a sugar coating. You're allowed to struggle or be in pain (although I wish you weren't!) and if anything I admire your ability to write honestly about it. Each post is written at a moment in time, and reflects how you feel in that moment. As for school? I know you can do it. I wish I could help with the snacking fears though... Maybe if you bring it up with your nutritionist or someone knowledgeable who you trust?

Rachael*

Jessie said...

Hey, definitely not pitiful! You shouldn't be ashamed or afraid to say how you feel. I do exactly the same thing--overstress and overthink everything.

Try not to get too worried about the snacking-it's probably your body's way of letting you know that you need more energy. I know what you mean though about the auto-pilot and how scary it feels. Maybe you could try to add in planned snacks so that you feel safer about it and make sure you get in the nourishment your body needs.

Take care and I'll be sending good, non-stressful thoughts your way!

Anonymous said...

Don't be ashamed of letting your feelings out, Eleanor. I would rather you put them out there for us, so we can comfort you than for you to keep it all bottled up!
I can relate all too well as far as school goes. I always make myself think I'm so overloaded, but once I work my through it, it never seems to be as big of a deal as I make it out to be. Hopefully this is the case for you too!
I love that you ended this with "You're all incredible. We are all incredible." It makes me so beyond happy that you include yourself in that! You're beautiful, Eleanor, don't forget it! -Kylee

A@ Please Don't Eat Me! said...

this is a lovely post! im agreeing with the others, that snacking might be because of stress, i know when i get stressed my appetite doesnt increase too much, but i feel the need to have something to chew on.. like almost a nervous habit- it could also be that plus your body telling you to fuel up for a "fight or flight".. because i remember from my school days, homework was like a battle. I was a HUGE procrastonator.. still am! lol it never goes away, but the consequences get bigger, like late fees, utility shut off, etc. therefore.. its easier to try and get it all done.

i didnt think your last post sounded bad at all! you are doing a great job girlie!!!

Anonymous said...

i know that in times of stress is when ED comes out the most, he tries to catch you off guard and when you're weak. it's great that you can acknowledge that and take action before it gets out of hand. i can tell you're a really strong girl and you'll get everything you need to get done! stay strong
amy<3

Anonymous said...

Eleanor,
Don't ever feel like you can't say what's on your mind... It is totally understandable with the amount of stress you are under. Sometimes I feel like my thoughts change so drastically overnight that I can't even justify the words I had written the night before.

Its so admirable to see you turn such anxiety into something full of determination by acknowledging that you CAN do it :) School is going to be a big adjustment, but there is nothing standing in your way. You are such a brilliant and beautiful girl - I can't even begin to describe how much I look up to you.

As for the snacking, I really relate to feeling out of control, and thinking it is going to lead to a binge. Honestly, I think that strictly relying on your hunger cues isn't really the best way to recover after all the damage we have done to our body/mind connection... I would bet money on it that you are hungry, and you just can't feel it. By panicking, this is just one more way that ED is trying to control you, but I know you won't let him :) Snack on my dear, because you truly need it. You deserve so much - to be healthy, happy and alive.

I love you,
Tat