I did it.
I DID IT.
She walked to the car, her stomach convulsing violently. Never before had she suffered from nerves such as these. Doubt was swimming in her head, the little voice chanting "You're a failure, you didn't gain the weight. But you're a fatty anyway. You think you can beat me? You think you can ignore me? You don't stand a chance. You're nothing!" She sat quietly in the back seat of the car, staring blankly out the window but not looking for anything; she only wanted to escape, to crawl up inside herself and give in to the convincing voice she knew so well.
The car stopped and her father opened the door for her. Without looking up, without speaking, she walked to the building inside which her fate lay. The big, cold, hard medical scales were waiting for her - she had an intense fear, an intense hate for those scales, unsurprisingly so, as they had the ability to dictate her mood, and the overall feelings of both parents and treatment team.
The click-clack of her Dietitian's shoes on the tiled floor of the walkway tore through her state of mental numbness, and she robotically stood up and forced a painful smile upon her lips. The walk to the room gave the voices in her head a chance to blast obsceneties at her; little knives jabbing into her heart.
She sat down in the chair beside the scales, where she voiced her concerns about not having gained weight the past week, but also told of her challenges and her trials, her sickness and her exhaustion, her battles to do the right thing. Her nerves heightened, her stomach was clenched; she took off her shoes and stepped on the scale.
Numbers numbers numbers, ticking ticking ticking.
Surprise.
* * *
I gained weight.
I gained weight, by myself.
I gained weight by myself, for myself.
To be honest, I don't know how I feel. It's 7 at night now, I was weighed at 9:30 this morning. I've had all day to process my thoughts, but I have yet to come to a solid conclusion. I don't know how I feel, I don't know how I should feel. I was convinced I'd lost weight, and I expected to see a drop in weight, but instead I was greeted with an 800 gram (2 pound) gain.
I felt proud.
I also felt disgusted.
Almost a kilogram in a week? That's a lot. That's a scary amount of weight. That's the biggest amount I've gained in a long time. A long, long time. And I did it myself. I didn't depend on anyone else. This was my doing.
I want to feel proud of myself. I want this to strengthen my mental state, my confidence - I want it to boost my self-esteem and give me a real sense of control. Instead I'm confused, uncertain, and conflicted.
I know that I can't stop here. I have to keep going upwards for the time being. There's no other option for me health-wise... But I have the choice to go up, or to stop trying.
I've scared myself.
But I know what needs to be done.
I need to live.
love, love, love.
22 comments:
I. Am. So. Proud. Of. You.
I could'nt be happier to hear that you've gained health, your gaining your life back, Eleanor.
I know it is confusing, there are conflicting thoughts on what you think you want/need to do but the only right way is forward. Keeping push, love. You know what you have to do. You must do it.
Take good care of yourself sweetie.
<3
Eleanor!!!! I am so so mega proud of you lovely! Reading this post made me smile at your success, this really is a major victory and achievement, do not let ED take that from you.
This takes so much strength - 1kg in a week is by no means alot - in fact it's what they recommend as a minimum in alot of treatment programmes. I've gained more than that in a week during my recovery if it makes you feel any better.
The point is that you are making progress, and you did it yourself. I am so pleased for you and you should be too. I want to hug you!
You star!
Sarah x
So happy and proud of you Eleanor!!!!!!!! You did it - you are taking control and living life!!!!!!! don't look at it as gaining weight but at nourishing yourself with the fuel that it needs to get healthy!!!! What is the most important was that YOU did it - all by yourself!!!!!
I know its hard but i believe in you!!!!! Keep strong!!!!! lol aimee
YAAAAAAAAAAY!
Congratulations for battling against the e.d. all on your own. I hope that when it's sunk in you feel really proud of yourself. Because you DESERVE to!
Try to focus on how well you ate during the week rather than what the scale said, because you are not really in control of what that number says - our bodies are sometimes unpredictable things!
But anyway, 0.8 is a perfectly normal amount to gain so please don't freak out. (I gained 1.1kg this week, which is my biggest ever amount lol)so I DO understand the anxiety.... But that is the eating disorder's anxiety NOT yours. Consider it a massive whack at the e.d. with your bat! :p
Keep fighting!
Love Amy xxxx
ELEANOR!
Do you see how amazing you are!? You are so strong.. you have the ability to do absolutely anything you set your mind to. Even though ED tried to make you believe otherwise, you cannot deny the cold hard facts.
YOU did this for yourself Eleanor. YOU chose to save your own life, and that is probably one of the most commendable things in the world. YOU took responsibility and YOU did it, all by yourself.
Words cannot even express how happy I am for you. I am awestruck.
I love you so, so much. I have so much faith that this is just the very beginning of a very wonderful and deserved life full of happiness and health.
<3 Tat
I am so proud of you, my gorgeous Eleanor.
You are wonderful, and beautiful.
And an amazing person.
xx
babyyyy! i am so so proud of you :] stay strong and keep up the good work! you deserve recovery so much and i want so badly for you to be able to see that, to live that.
love you so much.
It's completely normal to be confused and unsure about how to feel with weight gain at first, hun. You spent such a long time in a mentality where you were trying to keep the weight off, that your mind has to do a bit of catching up to match your new desire to be healthy.
You should be proud though, love. This is a HUGE accomplishment. You did it on your own. For your own health and life. You. Are. Amazing. Give it some time and you'll see that you'll come to love the life that health brings with it and it will get easier to be proud of your accomplishments.
<3
I am so, so proud of you! You are amazing!
eleanor,
i got butterflies in my stomach when i read this post. words cannot possibly describe how proud i am of you right now...the first steps are always the hardest. i remember my first visible steps of recovery...i didn't know what to think. regardless of what ED is telling you right now, this is the first HUGE step. there's no turning back girl...this is the beginning of YOUR life. keep on pushing, and remember i'm ALWAYS here if you need ANYTHING.
♥ ♥ ♥
lindsey
Thats great, thats amazing, well done. As for your bittersweet reaction, that is to be expected, at least theres bitter AND sweet, not just bitter, y'know? keep that anorexia in the backseat, heck, kick her out of the car on a freeway! you dont need her, like u said, you need life, and for to have life, you need a living body.
xxxxx
I am majorly proud of you hun! You did it and although I'm sure you're probably torn between being proud of yourself and feeling bitter, remember whose feelings it is you are encountering. You, my dear Eleanor, have every right to rejoice while ED squirms within. Don't let it get to you because you not only need to live, you deserve to live!
Much love,
Nat xoxo
eleanor you are so amazing! i know i must feel good and bad at the same time, but you are being set free, and you are doing it yourself, i am incredibly happy and proud, and you deserve to fel such goodness flow through you! because that is what you are! so well done honey! your so awesome! keep up the good work, you can do this!
It's not that it gets easy, but it certainly becomes less hard: what matters most is your sense of motivation now, and you seem so wonderfully determined. These things--bravery and most of all self-love--are the things that continue to grow along with your health. They allow you to see what a drop in the bucket weight really is.
congrats!! this is something to be super proud of!!! you need to take this in stride and realize that it isn't a bad thing, it's something to smile about :)
keep on doing what your doing!
xoxo
Oh my goodness, I am SO proud of you! YOU DID IT, girl! You proved you could do it for yourself! That is a great accomplishment, and you shouldn't doubt for a moment that you've done the right & healthy thing! I know it's scary... I'm right there with you... but you are doing wonderfully! Keep trying, lovely. You can do this, and I'll be doing it with you! xoxo
Oh my goodness, I am SO proud of you! YOU DID IT, girl! You proved you could do it for yourself! That is a great accomplishment, and you shouldn't doubt for a moment that you've done the right & healthy thing! I know it's scary... I'm right there with you... but you are doing wonderfully! Keep trying, lovely. You can do this, and I'll be doing it with you! xoxo
Eleanor,
I understand the mixed messages, but I am sure that you know which of them are coming from YOU and which are coming from The Monster.
This is a good thing! Remember that You thought that you lost weight- this proves that your body has not changed as drastically as ED may begin telling you it has. This is a beautiful, miraculous change- a change for health, a change for life, a change for happiness. Relish the new body that you are on your way towards attaining.
Live. In every sense of the word.
In every sense of life.
Rock on!
Eleanor,
I know how you feel with the mixed feelings towards weight gain. I go back and forth a lot of the times. Feeling happy im getting better/healthy and then feeling grossed out that my body is getting bigger. I think the thing to do is to separate ourselves from our ED. Realize our ED's are disgusted, not us...
anyway, I hope you keep on the right path <3 ! im here to chat if you want
Dana
http://happinessiswithin.wordpress.com/
So, so proud of you, dear. I know you're conflicted, but you must keep going. As you said, you must gain your health back and live the beautiful life that you deserve. I believe in you!
xoxo
Sarah
You write so articulately, love.
Gaining on your own is such a hard thing to do, but it is such a great accomplishment. 2 pounds is not too much at all...some weeks you gain more and some weeks less.The point is not so much about weight gain (although it is vital for your health and definitely necessary) but also about the emotional work you are doing. To stop being so afraid of the gain, to embrace it, to realize you were miserable before and that you want to choose to be happy and live. That is amazing and so admirable. I really hope you continue with this. xoxo
Post a Comment