The delete button has been hit with brute force more than any other button; a crator in the keyboard is threatening to open. Words form, and just as suddenly disappear, jumping off the page before they become permanent, as if afraid to be exposed to wandering eyes.
The beginnings of sentences are the endings of sentences - a steep climb leading to the edge of a cliff, where fullstops don't have a chance of staying put... They're doomed to roll off the edge into the savage waters waiting below, swallowing up any possibility of a complete phrase.
These words don't speak. Their meanings are meaningless.
The jigsaw puzzle that is my mind, my thoughts, my feelings; none of the pieces fit together. If the chaos in my mind was depicted through a teenagers room... My Mother would have a heart attack. Yes, the words and the ability to express myself are as impossible to find as those pair of shoes hidden somewhere on the floor beneath the entire contents of your wardrobe.
A horrendous visual image.
I hate having to force myself to write. The act of writing is usually soothing; I'm able to express all thoughts and feelings without actually thinking about it, it just comes naturally. But now, for some reason, it's not so.
I have been so stressed lately. This is probably contributing to my mental blockage. Too busy to think about 'trivial' things such as artfully stringing together words - it's concentrating all its energy into keeping me alive. There's no room to wander aimlessly and freely along because there's a fear of being pounced on in its vunlerable state by a mean, destructive, influencing thing, facading as a sweet & harmless friend. This voice, or whatever it is, the "ED", has wrapped itself up in many disguises in the hope that I'll fall for it, and fall victim to whatever torment is in store.
I'm sad to say that I've been like a child promised candy by a stranger... Eager, willing, naive.
This morning, like every week since what seems to have been the beginning of time, my fate will again be held by the ticking numbers on the scale. Again, it all comes down to a number. But I have a feeling that this number is more than just my body weight... It's an indication of whether I am able to do this for myself.
Yes, I've been stressed this week - moreso than usual. Yes, I've cheated myself, and probably haven't consumed enough food. Yes, I've tried. But whether I've tried hard enough or not is the real question.
* * *
Something hit home yesterday.
A friend that I hadn't seen in quite some time came up behind me at school and picked me up, giving me a huge bear hug. When I turned around, she was smiling, but there was something in her beautiful, clear blue eyes that wasn't showing happiness. It was fear, concern, pain.
She hugged me, and then:
"Dude, you have gotten so thin. Eleanor, do you realize just how skinny you are?"
She ran her hand over my ribcage, then looked at me again with that pained look. I could see she was sincere. She meant it, she wasn't just saying it.
I looked at her. I looked down. I shook my head.
I honestly don't realize what I look like.
This girl, she's incredible and I love her so much. I couldn't, wouldn't, wont lie to her. I told her, I told her straight:
"I'm getting better. I'm doing this. I promise."
And I mean it this time.
No more bullshit.
No more empty promises.
No more broken promises.
I hate seeing my Mum hurt.
I hate that she ignores me because she's too scared to say anything to me.
I hate that she can't look at me for long; I hate knowing that she is ashamed that I am where I am now, and that nothing is changing.
I hate crying to my Dad.
I hate being out of energy.
I hate getting weighed every week.
I hate battling with thoughts of food.
I hate that I have had to postpone my education in order to look after my health.
I can't be here any more.
I'm changing this.
I. Am. Going. To. Live.
love, love, love.
13 comments:
Eleanor - it's not the writing that is lacking my dear, it's the understanding of your own thoughts. Your writing, your love of words, your talent for making them paint beautiful pictures across pages is still alive and kicking, which is completely evident from the magnificent introduction to this post.
I know you are not too religious, but please believe me when I say that everything happens for a reason. This friend of yours was not brought into your life by chance… she was meant to change you, to push you.
Anorexia is an evil disease that hurts absolutely everyone around it. All the pain you are frustrated with causing can be rectified, I promise… all you have to do is keep your head healed high and keep pushing on.
Don't put so much pressure on this one visit. Not gaining weight this week DOES NOT mean that you can't do this on your own, it just means that you need to try even harder. Again, everything happens for a reason, and you will find things in your life that magically start to push you in the right direction if you let them.
Do this for your mum.
Do this for your friend.
Do this for your dad..
DO THIS FOR YOURSELF.
I love you girl, and you CAN do it :)
<3 Tat
first off i just want to say.you are so so incredibly strong. when i read your blog i really feel and hear everything your saying. your words are so powerful (that's a good thing). You know what you gotta do. now just do it! you CAN and you WILL. simply because you really WANT to. you know that thinking the thoughts about food and such and not being able to concentrate in school isn't what life should be about. Life is about experiencing new things each and everyday about ourselves. i'm so glad you are realizing what needs to be done. that's TRUE beauty! i believe in you and you will get through this one way or another. i'm gonna hold you to your promises =P you got this! stay strong! <3
You can do this, im sure of it. Dont give up and dont look back just move forward. Let me know if i can help in anyway, were all in this together.
Dana <3
http://happinessiswithin.wordpress.com/
YOU
ARE
AMAZING.
end of story.
YOU CAN DO THIS!! <3
You can do this hun! I know you can. Don't think about anything but your health. I know that's hard when you worry about being perfect and doing good at school and everything else, but you are more important than those things. Listen to that beautiful girl who wants you to be well. I am talking about both that girl who hugged you and the girl who was hugged. YOU are special and amazing and important and awesome. Eleanor deserves to be well and happy and safe. I know it's scary and it's good to be afriad. It means you care.
*hugs*
Sarah
Eleanor - your posts are always so honest and full or emotion and I totally admire how honest you are with all of your readers - i know you want to get better and I am 100% sure that YOU CAN beat this!!!!! You are so strong and so determined and I believe in you - whatever you need - we are going thru this together!!!!
love you and stay strong - aimee
Eleanor, I really hope you don't feel pressured to write, for us or for yourself. You're probably having a hard time of it now because your body is using every speck of energy it takes in to heal your body and mind. But I promise you, as you grow stronger, your talent for writing will come back stronger than it's ever been before. So keep taking care of yourself lovely- it's so hard right now but only the BEST best things can come out of it. Much love x
*hugs* You can do this. You can change your situation. You are going to live!
xoxo
Even when you find it hard to write, the words you produce still seem to so eloquently capture your situation. You are nurturing the motivation to change, which is good, and ultimately you have to want this change for YOU. Better nourishment and a healthy body will improve your concentration, and your ability to write. But most of all it will give you a better shot at happiness than you have right now. Make the committment to recovery and listen to those around you who can challenge the EDs lies.
Recovery takes alot of energy, so if at times you feel unable to write, do not despair, but have faith that the words will always return, when you have the energy to spare.
Focus on YOU and focus on RECOVERY.
You CAN do this.
Hugs
Sarah x
I can relate to this so much, Eleanor.
Please don't feel forced to write, you must focus on you, focus on your health. You are so honest and passionate through your writing and that's what I love about your posts. They are real.
You are simply wonderful, Eleanor, but you can be better. And you will be because you have chosen life, you have chosen to embrace the beautiful human being that you are, not ED. This will inevitably lead you to the incredible and unrestricted life that you so much deserve, love.
You will change this.
I love you and have so much faith in you, girl.
<3
Hey hun, I just gave you the 'a hoy award' on my blog. I think you deserve to win an award and I'm glad it's me giving to you :-)
Eleanor,
there is no wonder your words stumble around, playing hard to catch and that you feel like you are not able to create the most beautiful sentences. Your body and mind is, right this second, going through some of its hardest times. Ever. Fear has to be confronted. Battles has to be fought. You have to find out what you want, and how you can turn this into reality.
Because you can, Eleanor. You can gain health. Every piece of food you take is a step in the right direction, every time you decide that this.is.it. is a step in the right direction. But to see that something has to change, and to carry through these changes is two widely different things. The one is easy, the other is tougher than anyone "outside" can imagine. There is no snapping fingers and doing quick fixes here, but what you must never forget is that you can. You have the ability. As a human being you have the ability to change, to make other desicions. You will do this, I promise you. Never loose faith in yourself. And never feel ashamed of yourself, or that you are worthless.
Because you are not.
ELEANOR!
oh how I have missed your words. I think about you so often and although I have been in an absence of blogging I have not been in an absence of loving you! This post was so beautiful, so so beautiful. You are going to live, you are going to gain energy, gain life, a new world, I know this, you are every day. Things ARE changing very day you write how you are feeling you are connecting more to your sense of self and helping it grow. Life is messy, you are picking up the pieces and turning them into a beautiful collage.
I love you so much, always here.
Amanda
Post a Comment