Week 1 is almost over and done with, but it feels like I've been here for a month. Time has dragged, which has made each day a horror to get through.
Each morning I wake up, and wait for a nurse to take my blood pressure, heart rate/pulse and temperature.
The days are all the same. The same things happen, I see the same people, I do the same things.
Routine. The kind of routine that is safe, because it's within the four walls of this hospital.
I'm here to be fed, and not much else. As I'm on a Paediatric Ward (seriously, I shouldn't be here. I'm as mature as a 57 year old!) there is no coucelling, there's no mental, emotional or psychological treatment. The only thing I get is food in front of me and upping of meal plans if my weight plateaus.
The food is like all hospital food: watery, flavourless, full of oil and sugar and salt and cheese.
Every day has been a battle to get through. I've faced some fear foods! I hadn't eaten pasta in over a year and a half, and last night I had near 2 cups of pasta with ricotta and tomato sauce. Ricotta: another fear food!
I've had to eat desserts with lunch and dinner which consist of custard + jelly, full cream yogurt, cheesecake, mousses, and other sweet things.
My eating disorder has been roaring in pain, in agony, in remorse. And what have I done about that? I've continued to choose the foods that scare me.
My therapist said something to me before I left that has really stuck with me: You're going to hospital to leave your eating disorder there. Piss it off, let it scream, cry, thrash, moan, complain, yell. Let it do all of those things. Leave it all behind."
That has really stuck with me. I've eaten things I'd never think of eating at home, and will probably not eat when I get back. They are things that remind me of my Eating Disorder; they're things I don't want to be reminded of. I've cried a lot, I'm constantly complaining to anyone who will listen, and I'm struggling to keep Eleanor in the forefront of my mind. But I'm doing it. I'm letting it out, I'm letting it go. I'm freeing myself of the chains that bind me and I feel incredible inside. I mightn't feel great physically, being on bed rest and being stuffed full of huge amounts of food; I might be bloated, blocked up, in pain, suffering indigestion and all the horrible symptoms of refeeding, but I'm getting through each day. I'm doing it. I'm learning to let go. I'm learning to challenge myself. I'm learning to be me again. Eleanor.
I'm homesick. I'm physically sick. I'm mentally exhausted.
But I'm alive.
Part of me regrets being here, and part of me knows it was the right choice to make. Which parts are my thougths and my disordered thoughts are sometimes hard to differentiate between, but I'm conscious of both and that is an achievement in itself.
I've achieved a lot, in just a week. I've put on 2.6 pounds (1.2 kilos) this week, which is a terrifying amount to put on. I feel self-conscious, but I'm trying to push past that. I know it is going to be difficult to accept my body at the moment, but it will all come with time.
It will all come with time.
I can't thank you all enough for your support and encouragement. You've all overwhelmed me and filled me up with pride and happiness. So thank you. Thank you for being with me through it all.
You're all fighters.
love, love, love.
12 comments:
SO INCREDIBLY, UNSPEAKABLY PROUD of YOU, my darling Eleanor.
I knew you could do it, but I am still filled with pride and relief that you are sticking with what you know is necessary for recovery and managing to deal with and fight off the torture that the anorexia is bestowing on you.
Its only fighting so hard because it knows its losing, its losing its grip on you, as each morsel you eat shows you YOUR REALITY and uncovers the LIES OF THE ED. YOU, ELEANOR are slipping from its grasp, so it is going to attack with all its might, however YOU ARE STRONGER, YOU ARE MORE DETERMINED , YOU ARE HOLDING ONTO LIFE and it can't compete with that!!!
You are incredible and I am with you every bite of the way. I hope and pray that the physical discomfort eases asap, as it makes everything much harder to cope with.
I LOVE YOU BRAVE GIRL,
Jennifer xxoo
You made the right choice by coming to the hospital. Don't ever doubt that! That is amazing to challenge yourself with all of those fear foods! That takes courage and strength all of which you have. When I was hospitalized for a week this past October, the hospital had no idea how to deal with eating disorders. I really know what you mean when you say that a week feels like a month. So true about how everything is routine..get woken up, get blood drawn, weights, vitals, lie in bed all day, get your bp done every few hours. Looking back though, that hospital visit in which I was so miserable probably saved my life.
I am so glad that you are in a safe environment to help you get better and you definitely definitely made the right choice! So so proud of you Eleanor. Stay strong! And will be thinking of you.
xoxo
~Annie
I feel something stronger than pride, Eleanor. This is beyond words what you have accomplished, and how you are dealing with it.
You are honest, you are scared, you are mad, and you are DETERMINED to let go off your eating disorder.
You challenge yourself with food you fear, and that takes so much strength and mental fight that noone who has not experienced it on their own body and mind can understand it.
You are to feel so proud and good about yourself, Eleanor.
Re-feeding is hard. I remember crying, laying in bed in pain, it felt like someone had stuffed me with basketballs and my tummy was like a big, hard balloon. But it will get better, believe me. Your body will improve its ability to digest larger amounts of food.
Your weight gain is very important steps back to life, they are bricks on your walk back to health and living life. I know these numbers probably puts you in a mental war, and you have to deal with parts of you that wants to cry, parts that scream, parts that smile. That is exhausting and frustrating, but do not give up. Keep fighting, you are doing amazingly. You will make this. You are a hero, a star, greatness, you are Eleanor <3
( sorry this comment turned into a mess, but my passion for you makes me clumsy with words )
First of all WELL DONE! You are an absolute star for all your achievements so far - it's so hard, your experience reminds me of the month I spent on a general ward at hospital, in which there was no support at all, only food (sometimes that didn't even arrive - rubbish UK health service) and tests. Your therapist is right, this is the place to leave your ED. I know that one of my motivations for staying on track is to not end up back there. It sounds like you are really making the most of the opportunity to challenge yourself.
You are so young, yet demonstrate such courage and determination in this situation. Keep up the amazing work missy.
Hugs
Sarah x
Keep in mind all the things that are waiting for you in the world Eleanor. You are fighting with such strength and determination. Remember that you are worth it! I know it's easy for me to say this but weight is really just a number. You are worth so much more than that and I KNOW you are getting more beautiful each day. You are getting healthier and slowly but surely, Eleanor will bloom. Stomp on ED and turn it into dust! I'm here supporting you always hun!
Much love
Nat xoxo
ELEANOR!
I am so proud to call you my friend. You made the right choice to put yourself in there, and you are still making the right choices to challenge yourself eery day. It would be all to easy to pick the safer choices, or cling to anything ed-related to make you feel safe, but you are in it to win it. I can't get over how inspiring your words are. You are pissing off the demons inside of you, ensuring that they won't even want to follow you home when that time comes.
You are amazing.. an inspiration to us all, and I love you so much.
Keep up the amazing attitude, and know they we are all rooting for you my love!
<3 Tat
I don't know what I can possibly add to what the previous commenters have already said! You made the absoulutely right choice by going to hospital, and are doing an amazing job of challenging yourself despite your ED yelling at you. Keep going strong, love! x
oh sweetie, thats so wonderful! i'm so happy you are getting the help you need. what your therapist said was so amazing and SO true. get rid of ED once and for all. you don't need him :] you are PERFECT just the way you are sans ED
I LOVE YOU SO SO SO SO SO MUCH!!!
xx
becca
words do not describe how proud i am of you girl. your bravery, courage, and strength leave are simply amazing.
i don't know exactly what you're going through, but i do know that it takes a hell of a lot. continue to do what you're doing girl, and each pound you put on is like a point of happiness. trust me :)
oh, and leave that ED at the hospital ;) love that.
♥ lindsey
I've just come across your blog today. I am in tears. Good luck on your journey hun, I'm rooting for you. I'll keep you in my thoughts *hug*
Eleanor!
This is wonderful, and you should be so proud of yourself. I am proud of you .. beyond words. I can't even contain how happy I am for you.
I know it seems so hard to differentiate your thoughts to those that are disordered but you will learn as time goes on. It will get easier. Eleanor. Never forget who you are, love. You want to get through this and you will.
Be strong, have faith and let the fear of change pass because it's not your fear.. it's EDs.
Love you so much.
It is wonderful that you are doing this, even though it may seem pointless. I've learned the ahrd wway that weight gain is the one of the key first steps to recovery. Then working on the emotional, and mental therapy will truly pay off.
I know you can do this! Were in it together<3
Post a Comment