Wednesday, September 29, 2010

She can talk the talk, but can she walk the walk?

Her eyes scanned the menu board, looking for something safe. She knew what she wanted, and what she wanted wasn't enough. She knew that, too. She scanned and scanned, looking from menu board to food bar, then shook her head. Deep down, she knew that she could have opted for an extreme skimpy, poor excuse of a lunch: "I'll have the salad without the dressing, the cheese, and the croutons, please". But she didn't. She also could have gotten an extremely scary, unfamiliar and uncomfortable bowl of food. Yes, she didn't. Instead, her and her mother went off to another possible place to lunch. Equally as scary were those foods, but her eyes met with a food item that she could simply not resist. Carby? Yes. Fatty? Most definitely. Scary? Like you wouldn't believe. But her desire for this slice of fear-on-a-plate made her tummy grumble. And so, Eleanor nodded her head this time and that was that. Lunch was ordered, eaten and most of all, enjoyed.

***

I'm not saying that I don't regret ordering what I did, because a part of me does regret ordering that Zucchini Slice. Floury and pastry filled, oily, egg-y, fatty… Those were only some of the thoughts going through my head as my knife and fork entered the spongy slice. It's safe to say that it was the least safe option. I could've had a sandwich, minus the butter and cheese, or I could've had a wrap, without the mayo, but I didn't. I got exactly what I wanted, and yes, I was overcome with dread, but I ate it. It's in my tummy now, where it belongs.

It's been a long, long time since I've eaten out in my town. The last time I did that, it was a fruit salad, and I tried to tell everyone (as well as myself) that it was a suitable lunch, while everyone else was eating burgers and foot-long subs from Subway. Oh, how times have changed. Today, I went out to lunch with my Mum, after being told countless times by everyone that I need to – excuse the language – pull my finger out of my ass and just do it.

For as long as I can remember I have been floating along, not getting better, but not getting worse. I've just been treading water. But that got me thinking: I'm using all of my energy staying stagnant, in a miserable and unfulfilling place in my life, when I could be using that energy to better myself, my health and my life. Why would I choose to settle for less than what I truly deserve? Hence the advice to pull my finger out.

My therapist has given my many, many methods of coping, of dealing, of moving forward, but I haven't taken any of that advice. I nod my head, I agree, I say "I can do that" – but I never do. I'm a bullshit artist, to put it mildly. I can't fool anyone. I can't fool myself. I'm sick of being in a constant state of fear, and the only way to get rid of that overwhelming feeling is to actually face those fears and eradicate them. Granted, that is easier said than done, but it's not impossible. My therapist herself is proof that there's life beyond an eating disorder and the disordered 'fantasy world'.

I admit it. I'm going to be cocky and egotistical. I did a brave thing today.
and damnit am I proud.

19 comments:

Tatianna said...

Whoot! Eleanor! I was so excited to read this... perhaps because it hits so close to home for me. Not only are your beautifully written words almost intoxicating, they also remind me of the challenges that I have yet to face.

Going out to eat is one of the last things that I really need to get out and do... but I keep pushing it away and 'stagnating'.

This triumph is incredible, and I hope you are so proud. I love you girl!
<3 Tat

Walking thru Sunflowers said...

Eleanor - simply amazing!!!!!!! So proud of you today!!!
Each day we challenge ourselves we come that much closer to truly LIVING!!!!

Rose said...

You are a beautiful writer. And good job on the fear food Seriously. that's what recovery is all about and it sucks sometimes, but just "talking the talk" without actually "walking the walk" definitely gets boring. good job. and you SHOULD be proud.

Anonymous said...

IM SO PROUD of you! you've inspired me BIG time! I need to bring myself to do this sometime soon :)

Dana xo

LOVE YOU!!

Becca said...

so proud of you girl :] keep up the good work!!
love you!

Olivia said...

That is amazing! :) Great, great job! :D

Hedda said...

Eleanor,
how to put into words how filled with pride my heart is right now?
Pride for you, for your strength and beauty. Your determination and victory.

You realized that even though you were not falling back, you did not move forward either. It left you with a choice : remain in this safe, stable position or kick your butt and dive into the unknown. And you, my friend, you made the difficult and brave decision to take a step towards life.
Eating out, and ordering something you felt anything but comfortable with is a great accomplishment. Use this experience, use it as a confirmation that you want to recover. You want to take chances, try new food and situations - you want to grow.

Keep on, my dear. Each step in the right direction counts, and every experience of yours contain a piece of wisdom you can use.
You are an inspiration and a source of hope, feel proud about yourself. Love yourself.

<3

Anonymous said...

Eleanor,
I am so proud of you for facing your fear and ordering what you wanted. That is a beyond difficult thing to do. I've only recently started going out to eat again and everytime I do it the anxiety still builds and I have a hard time ordering what actually sounds good. We must keep the faith that it will get easier with time...because it will!
I also relate to what you said about nodding your head when your therapist gives coping mechanisms but then not truly applying them. I have caught myself doing the same thing and, you're right, the only effect that is having is keeping us in this miserable disorder. Recovery may be scary, but life based around ED is terrifying too. We have to trust that if we follow others advice and use their suggested coping mechanisms we will find happiness! No matter how far away it seems, we're capable and WORTHY of finding it.
Your writing is so beautiful : ). Take care!

Sarah

Anonymous said...

Dammit, I'm proud of you too! Even though I haven't exactly figured out what it is that you had for lunch, I'm so proud of you! I know how it is to eat something scary, something greasy, fatty, salty, cheesy and probably not the "healthiest" according to whatever stupid Food Pyramid they teach in school.

Tomorrow, after you've digested it, there won't be any regret. You won't FEEL it in your tummy anymore, instead you'll feel in your head that you did something that felt right. It doesn't now, but one day it will.

Keep doing the uncomfortable, because one day, we all know, it will be comfortable.

Congratulations, girl!

♥Alexandra!

Boston Femme said...

Eleanor,

YOU GO GIRL, that takes so much courage!!!! I'm glad you're proud of yourself and that you've decided you no longer want to tread water and want to move forward instead- that is an amazing step!!! Keep up the awesome work and keep staying strong!

<3
Jess (formerly forever_hopeful)

Maddi said...

you know what?? Treading water is a whole lot better than drowning, so keep it up!!! And once you have tread for a long time you will be so strong you will be able to completely pull yourself out of the water! Or at least I believe that! :) You go girl! :D
Maddi

Anonymous said...

Ordering what YOU wanted, not what the ED wanted, is an amazing step in the right direction. You have every reason to be proud of yourself.

Take care,
Cassie x

Nattie. said...

Aww Eleanor! You beautiful warrior! I couldn't be any more happier and proud of you for choosing what you wanted. It is empowering isn't it? I understand how tough it must have been making that decision to choose what you wanted to eat, but you did it and it goes to show how far you've come along in recovery. Don't ever let ED get you down for not going along with its plan because it only seeks to get you down. Stay strong and guarded, and know that life is for you to be enjoyed and lived - just as you are doing now!

Love you!
xoxo

svartsjarm said...

Wonderful! Keep fighting girl.

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Eleanor, I'm SO, SO happy for you! I bet that slice of Zuchinni bread was delicious! I think it's great that you let yourself enjoy what you, and not ED, wanted. You're dam right I'm proud!

And as for what you said about not getting better, let's look at the bright side: at least you're not getting worse. Don't settle for less than what you deserve; life is too short and you're too important!

Keep it up girl!
Paola

Kim said...

When I go out to eat I often go through something exactly like this. Normally, I just automatically go into the "looking for a safe option" mindset (disordered thinking) without even noticing. So, when I go out I make a point of asking myself, *everytime*, if what I'm ordering is really want I want. Awesome job doing that here, girl! Sometimes it's even hard to notice that you're ordering something you don't want because the disordered thinking comes so naturally. And your absolutely right about therapists - they give us the tools to recover, but *we* have to use the tools in order to grow and make progress towards being healthy. You did that here, so congrats :) and keep it up!

mariposai said...

You did indeed do a brave and brilliant thing Eleanor, and it made my day to read your post :-) It's wonderful to see you challenging yourself like this and you deserve to feel very proud of yourself!

Sarah x

Cassidy said...

I'm so proud of you! I'm so proud of your progress; you've fought and worked so hard to overcome this. Good job on your food challenge. I understand that EVERY food is a challenge; bu with little steps and mini challenges, you'll get through this. :)
You're right, the longer you resent and avoid certain things, the greater the fear becomes.

I can't tell you how proud I am; I'm a stranger, I know only of your life through your blog. But gosh, it's amazing to hear about the work you've been doing. I remember you writing about making the decision to recover. And to read this now, makes me so happy. I'm so happy for you deary, I really, truely am.

Danielle said...

First time commenter here- That's so amazing you ate a fear food! I'm always so afraid too but then I tell myself I just have to stop pouting and get it over with. But like you, I've been at a standstill for a while. Wanting to remain the same weight and trying to convince myself that it's normal. But it's not and once we gain weight, we will probably be more happier. Because there really is life after an eating disorder.