I'm the shadow behind you, creeping under the door,
I'm the scratch at your window, the dust on the floor.
I'm the clouds in the sky, hiding the sun,
I'm the raging wind, where the storm has begun.
I'm the waves of the ocean, the crash on the rocks,
I'm the howl of the wind, the sound that shocks.
I'm the grey of the sky, the thundering roar,
I'm the sinking ship, the boat with no oar.
I'm the voice with no sound, the lips that don't move,
I'm the worst kind of question, with no answer to choose.
I'm the deafening silence, the constant drone,
I'm the heaviest heart, the one made of stone.
I'm the thoughts at night, that keep you awake,
I'm the stranger in the dark, that stands at your gate.
I'm the waking nightmare, the repeated dream,
I'm the one you detest, I'm the reason you scream.
***
I've been too scared to post. I've been too scared to write down the things that are going on in my life, as if writing it all down will confirm it, making it reality. The sense of control craved in times of confusion is coming back with force, and that need for control is controlling me. It's stopping me from thinking rationally and logically, it's taking away what mental clarity I had.
It's getting harder instead of getting easier. Where's the promised happiness, the sense of freedom? The light at the end of the tunnel?
My light has gone out. I can't see anymore. I can't see anything. I'm surrounded by this haze, this shadow. My vision, my clarity, my thoughts are all blurred; stumbling has become the new means of getting around, and every time I fall down it's harder to get back up.
This is all mentally, of course. Physically, I am on the up, which is why I'm so confused as to the lack of happiness/freedom/peace of mind. The walls of which I had built up as a means of protection, love and support are crumbling around me and on top of me, which has left me aching for the control which allowed me to deal with my troubles before. Before, I had something to hold on to, albeit destructive and unhealthy. It was something. Now I have nothing, except the broken pieces of what was once a loving, wholesome family. My family, my beautiful, strong and supportive family, are breaking apart.
Where was I, while this happened?
I was in my head, listening to the disordered thoughts that told me I was doing the right thing.
I was in hospital, trying to get my life together so I could better cope at home, where I could repair my relationship with my family.
How could I have let this all slip past me… Right before my eyes?
To stop being cryptic; in more or less words my parents, have fallen apart without my knowing. Without their knowing, as far as I'm aware.
The reality only really just hit me a few days ago and I've been struggling to digest it. It all seems so unreal. I've been expecting to wake up, as if it is all just a bad dream, but no matter how many times I pinch myself, I only hurt. I don't wake up in a cold sweat, and sigh in relief knowing that it was all in my head. I can't turn over and go back to sleep. I'm living it, this nightmare. This nightmare is my life, my reality.
I can't really believe I'm sending this out to the internet… It's not as if doing so is going to fix anything. I'm clutching at straws, I guess.
I'm scared. I'm scared of losing the only thing I really had: my family.
I cannot revert to old bad habits. I have to stay strong, not only for myself but for my family.
This isn't an excuse, this isn't a reason to slip back.
This is a reason to keep moving forward.
Oh, God.
Life is full of twists and turns and unexpecteds.
12 comments:
hugs, girl. I come from a broken family, and I've gone back to my ED ways too many times because of it. Don't do it. In the end, it hurts worse.
baby girl. I know these feelings and words so much. I feel them too.
Its the grip. the safety, and unknown..
We must remember that family is family.. we are ALL one hundred percent LOVED.. by at least one person in the world.. doesnt that mean something? Hold onto anything you can that is positive in your life.. breathe...
Remember that your family will love you no matter what. You are doing so well, and the happiness that recovery brings does take time to emerge. It's hard at first to abandon old coping mechanisms, because they are habits, and to try new ways of coping is a scary prospect. ED or not, life will at times be hard, nothing can change that, but whereas ED will let those tough times destroy you, recovery will help you through. Food and self care will make even the toughest of times more bearable.
Have faith that things will always get better, and there are always brighter things to come.
Thinking of you...
Sarah x
Im sorry to hear about your troubles right now and i am thinking of you - my heart goes out to you and your family. Try and take one moment at a time and remember how hard you have worked the past few weeks - we are all here for you!!!! xoxo aim
Oh Eleanor! I am so sorry to hear this tough time that you are going through, and I just want to make sure that you realize that none of this is your fault.
Try to remember that everything happens for a reason, and even though you want to contrel everything around you... it's impossible. You are so strong for staying moitivatated and driven in such a difficult situation. I know you can hold on :)
<3 Tat
i like that poem a lot... lots of things are scary,,, i think it was anais nin who said something like courage is when you keep going even when you are scared to death
So sorry you're going through this sweets. My parents have a screwed up relationship too and I can't tell you how many times I've thought that they were going to get a divorce... It's hard. But the most important thing right now is to remember that none of this is your fault, and that sinking into your ED to cope again will help no one. Even though your family isn't the way that you're used to right now, they still love you and don't want to see you hurt yourself. So you just keep doing your thing, taking care of yourself and kicking ED's butt and all, and I promise you things can only get better. Love love love! x
I am thinking of you and my sincere thoughts and prayers are with you at this time. It was very brave to post this--and I know many MANY ppl appreciate this and will gain strength from it. Just remember THIS IS NOT YOU-- it is just your environment and it doesn't influence who you are! You make your choices/decisions and you WILL get through this tough time! You co-create your own life. Don't let this distract you from your path and purpose in life!
XOXOXO
Sending lots of strength and love!
Barbara
your poetry is so beeatiufl my love.
please stay strong . <3 xo
I am so sorry that you're going through a rough time. Try to remember that after ever rain storm there will always be sun. Things will get better, and you're strong enough to get through them. I know that it may be difficult but try not to go back to EDs ways as means of coping. You are worth so much more than ED and deserve to live freely!
Also, your poetry is absolutely beautiful!! Your words are embedded with emotion that truly speaks to anyone who reads it. You have a gift with writing, and you deserve to let it shine to the world!!
Try to stay strong, I know it's hard but I also know you can get through anything using your stregth, heart and mind. Don't ever give up. And don't forget i'm always here if you need me :)
Sweet girl, I'm sorry that life feels so out-of-control right now. I don't know what I can tell you that hasn't already been said, so hear this: I know. I'm so sorry that you're struggling through this, but I know. I've been there, I know how you feel. That isn't really helpful for you right now, except for the fact I'm here. I survived it, I'm stronger for it, and now that I'm standing on the other side I can offer you hope and a listening ear. I'm sorry I don't have anything more to offer, like a magic wand to make it go away. I wish I could, but I can't. So keep moving forward, hun, and don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it. You can do this. I know you can. xoxo
oh baby, please stay strong. i know how hard it is to not receive support from your family but WE can be your family. i love you so very much. <3
Post a Comment