Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Acceptance.

I have to say, I'm quite relieved to hear I'm not the only one who can't sleep at night without a teddy bear sleeping by my side! Who needs ED when we can snuggle up to a nice, warm, cute, cuddly teddy bear?
Teddies make no judgements; they don't care what you look like, how much you weight, what you eat, what you wear; they will catch your tears when you're sad and snuggle up when you're in need of a hug; they will comfort you when you need comforting; you can take them anywhere, and they're there whenever you need them; they will listen to you when you talk, and hear you out; and best of all, you can "make" them love you!
Oh, inanimate objects are such wonderful things. Teddies offer so much more than what an ED ever promises.


I've been having trouble recently, coming to terms with and accepting my body's changes. I know they're coming, I know it's inevitable, but regardless of the endless efforts to convince myself that it's okay and that I need it, I can't accept them. I am constantly beating myself up over how I look - and for what? What do I get out of abusing myself? I get angry, I get miserable, I cry and I hurt and I hate. I don't want these feelings and thoughts. I don't want to put my mind and my body through these things - all the effort that goes into berating and belittling mysef could be used for good. Why waste so much effort on putting myself down when I could be using that effort to better and nourish myself? It's continuing to stump me. I'm left confused, puzzled, and upset.
I'm putting so much pressure on myself to want to get better than I'm scaring myself out of wanting to get better. Fuel for the disorder, draining for me, my mind and my body.


Working myself up into emotional sweats about how I appear physically is doing nothing for my already depleted supply of self-esteem and self-confidence. I'm not viewing my body as it truly is: a vessle. I've mentioned this before, but I think it'll do me good to revisit this.
Our bodies are beautiful things.  How we look is just the outer layer, the external. What it does is truly what is beautiful. We breathe, we blink, we move, we talk, we hug, we hold, we kiss, we touch, we taste, we feel, we hear, we see, we do, we live. Our bodies take us from place to place, and allow us do to the things, experience the things and be part of the things that we love. Why do we neglect them, the beautiful things they are, when they give us so much? When they give us everything?
Why can't we accept our bodies for the beautiful things they are, and love them for the things they do?
Every day I try to appreciate my body for what it is, but the negative connotations towards "recovery" and "weight gain" swim around in my head and stop me from loving it. Acceptance is so important, but I feel like there's no point in accepting my body for how it looks now when I know that I've still got a way to go. That's not how I should be looking at this, though. I need to accept me for who I am; body, mind, heart and soul. The only way to beat the body image issues is to rationalize them, and to constantly remind myself that I am beautiful, just the way I am.

I can't change the way I was born. I'm me, and that's all I'm ever going to be. I'm Eleanor. And Eleanor deserves to have a healthy and happy life, free from the thoughts that keep her locked away and out of sight. Every day is a day worth fighting for, and every day is a chance to strip a little more of that darkness away to reveal what lies beneath: me.
I might not be familiar with or know who I am at the moment, but I know that I'm so much more than this Eating Disorder.
I've lost enough because of this already, and I don't want to lose any more. I want my life back, and I'll fight for it.


There is so much more I want to say, but these things are beyond words. Maybe I'll never fully understand the thoughts in my head, but maybe I don't have to. Maybe my questions don't have answers, or maybe I already have the answers. Some things I'll never know; but the one thing I'm certain of is that this is not my life. My life holds so much more meaning than what this Eating Disorder will ever have me believe. My life is worth living, and an Eating Disordered life is not worth my time, attention and effort.

 "We must accept life for what it actually is -- a challenge to our quality without which we should never know of what stuff we are made, or grow to our full stature."

"Self-acceptance comes from meeting life's challenges vigorously.
Don't numb yourself to your trials and difficulties, nor build mental walls to exclude pain from your life.
You will find peace not by trying to escape your problems, but by confronting them courageously.
You will find peace not in denial, but in victory."


a little inspiration.


love, love, love.

16 comments:

mariposai said...

Inspiring words. We do indeed need to embrace who we are. Rather than hating, resenting and punishing our body, we need to make friends with it and take care of it. Our body will in turn reward us.

ED may be a teddy bear in disguise, but you've seen through it and it no longer has a place by your side. There are plenty of nice, innocent, real teddy bears to cuddle who do not try and comfort you with nasty lies.

Believe me that you are a beautiful person, and your posts, and comments to me are a pure joy to read. I have never seen you in person, therefore you can be confident that my assessment of you is based purely on your lovely inner qualities. Those, after all, are the ones that matter.

Sarah x

taylor said...

<33

Anonymous said...

Eleanor!
Once again.. we are on the same page! Conincidentally my post today is also about acceptance, and I have been having a hard time trying to find the right words. Time and time again, your words seem to unscramble my thoughts, and lay them out before me as if they were crystal clear.

With this insightful realization I can feel inner beauty radiating outwards. You have SO much to offer this world, and none of it can be acheived if you don't first nurture yourself.

Your outlook has come so far, and I am feeding off of your positivity for the moment. You inspire me to keep going, and for that I am forever grateful.
<3
Tat

Colleen said...

After reading this post one thought came to me, it's one that I think every person suffering from an eating disorder needs to hear and repeat to themselves over and over again. It just so happens to be from one of my favorite movies:

"Every passing minute is a chance to turn it all around."

I believe that you can do that!

lindsey said...

love, i don't think there is anything more to say...

you know what you have to do, and you know change is coming. right now it is going to suck, and you are going to cry and scream. it's something we all go through. but just remember as you feel it getting worse and slipping from your grasp, that every effort you put forth is totally worth it in the end. that's one thing i specially remember from my counseler: if you feel it getting worse and you know you are putting effort forth, then you are on the right track. all this is is ED letting go. it's last grasps are the strongest, and i know that you've made it this far, so keep on pushing girl. you are so close to breaking free, and i want to see you happy so badly! you are such a beautiful girl, inside and out. i know you realize this, too. keep on going girl, you are an amazing young woman.

♥ lindsey

Anonymous said...

eleanor my girlieeee! you always seem to get me relating & close to tearing up. i totally agree with everything you have said and i especially like the bit about the teddy being much better then ed :)
you are so beautiful, inside and out and i KNOW you are going to beat this and beat it for good. because you are so right, life is worth living, for you! ed is not worth it- so inspiring sweetie. i know how much heart you have just by reading your posts and you remind me that living without ed is the most amazing thing in the world. im sending you a thousand and one hugs(: happy wednesday e! xoxo soph
<3

Anonymous said...

Aww, sweet, I wish you could see how beautiful you really are. Self-acceptance is one of the hardest things to achieve... and you may be right, the only way to do so is through rationality... That's the problem with ED and the thoughts he plants in us... they don't use rationality. They're the opposite of everything real. But for some twisted reason, they seduce us into believing them instead of looking at the truth...

Your will to recover is there, hun... I can see it. You want a life free of ED, just don't feel ready to take the first step. But you will get tired of ED weighing you down... of ED preventing you from living out your life. ED is in no way worth clinging to... and the more you let your ED go, the more you'll learn to love yourself.

Love, always... stay strong, love <3

Jessica said...

Your post reminds me of this poster my sister has that says "why teddy bears make the best friends" it is so cute, if i see one again i think i may have to buy it and send it to you, they are seriously cute

Becca said...

your posts are just too insightful to bear. you are SO right. we should love our bodies for all the amazing things they do for us. who CARES if they are tiny and boney? who even WANTS to see that?! ED does but we certainly don't.
i'm here for you always and forever baby. we can do this! there is so much strength in you, in your posts, in your words. stay strong dearie.
LOVE!
becca

Walking thru Sunflowers said...

Eleanor - i don;t know what to say but I am speechless - what a wonderful eye-opening blog!!!!!!
Eveything you said totally makes sense!!!
Our bodies are our special gift and it is our responsibility to take care of ourselves and we deserve to fuel our bodies!!!!! We only get one life and it is so sad how much Ed can take from us!!!!
I see how hard you are trying and you are doing great - keep fighting - i believe in you!!!!!
xoxo aimee

Kylee said...

Inspiring & beautiful, as always (: "My life holds so much more meaning than what this Eating Disorder will ever have me believe. My life is worth living, and an Eating Disordered life is not worth my time, attention and effort." I love to hear (read?) you say (...type?) that! I know you're strong and you know what Eleanor wants; you will have YOUR life to live, I have no doubts. Love the quotes! -Kylee

mariposai said...

Thanks for the 'novel' ;) Your words meant alot to me.

It's comments like yours that make me realise that it's the quality of of the comments I recieve that matters rather than how many I get for each post.

Sarah x

amandajane said...

Eleanor,
your words never cease to amaze me! You are so right that our bodies are a vessel, our HOME! We live in them and need them for e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g. this stumbles me too my love, but that is what ed is, a confusing manipulating horror, and if I could I would take away all your pain, you are too beautiful a person to have this struggle. But keep saying those positive things lovie, and one day it will start to get easier, you will believe all the wonderful things, you may not right now, but I am here to say that you most definitely ARE amazingly stunning, have a way with words like no one i've ever known, have abundant beauty, inner courage, and are so so so gorgeous eleanor. I love you, and want to give you a big teddy hug!
Goal of mine too, not over think everything and simplify! even for just a day, focus on something non ed related for a long time, like reading or going to a museum or something? lol
Love you to bits and am sending you ease of mind babydoll
lovelovelove
Amanda

Anonymous said...

That was such a lovely and beautifully written post.It was very inspiring and is definitely an area I need to work on.
I feel like we are in similar positions at the minute; wanting a life free of ed but are a little stuck, fighting it hard to accept ourselves and accept what it will take to get rid of our eds. You know what you need to do and I believe you'll get there, there is a little spark at the end of your post :-)
Keep fighting on and get the life you deserve,xox
Laura

Ruby Converse and Curls said...

No, you'd never told me about your friend also named Rachael! I guess that added "a" gives an extra awesomeness boost. ;)
Once again while reading your post I felt as though someone had copy pasted the thoughts in my head onto the screen and then rearranged them into a much more articulate fashion. I can SO relate, especially feeling as though you should want recovery more than you do. I often feel like a fraud for not being more motivated, but the idea of recovery is scary because of it's negative associations with the unknown, weight gain, etc. Thank you for having the courage to say this though, as it's been something on my mind for a while now which I've been too scared to say. You're amazing, and I hope soon you see it too.

Rachael*

Anonymous said...

you can do this.
good luck tomorrow. just keep breathing.
thinking of you!
xoxo