Thursday, January 28, 2010

Crunch Time.

I kinda wanted crunchy cereal drenched in soy milk for dinner. It's the first time in a while I've had a craving for something, but unfortunately I didn't - couldn't - follow through with it. So now I'm stuck with a bowl of mush I don't really want and am not really enjoying, but eating nonetheless. Who said this was fun?



Stress levels are at an all time high at the moment. My mind is everywhere and nowhere, and ED is happily filling in the gaps. It's been a crazy couple of days, and things are going to get so much crazier. I can feel it. You know when you have one of those gut feelings? It's one of them.


{source}

Day One of the rest of my life starts on Monday: school. The first day of school for 2010 could seriously be my last day of school for the rest of my life. That's just how bad I'm panicking about it. Year 11 and Year 12 are two of the most important years of schooling - they're the two years that will set me on my path to wherever I want to go in the future. The thing is, I don't know where I want to go. I don't know where I want this path to take me. I don't even know who I really am. Shouldn't I be starting there? I have interests, but I have so many interests that trying to figure out a career choice is impossible.
There is so much responsibility entering my life now, because of school, and because I'm nearing adulthood - I'm not even trusted to be responsible for my food, how am I going to fare with the responsibilities of school, and of adulthood? After being babied for so long and being ignorant of these responsibilities, having them just dumped on me has left me in a state of bewilderment and shock. I'm dazed, dumbfounded and completely and utterly lost.

Being pushed out of my comfort zone, having my safety blanket being torn away from me and having my box cave in on me is upping that feeling of being lost, too. Everything that could happen, is happening, all at once. I'm being thrown in the deep end without a life jacket; nothing is there to keep me afloat except for my constant water-treading. And honestly, I'm not the strongest of swimmers, so I'm going to tire pretty quickly.
Having the responsibility of eating my lunch and morning snack is giving me nightmares. EDdie's little, "innocent" voice gently whispering in my ear that no one's going to know, Ellie... You can get away with this... Hey, since when do you get to call me Ellie!? And since when did I ask for your input, ED? This baby-talk, this gentleness... It's weakening me, and the hard-ass Eleanor is trying to reason with the push-over Eleanor.

...My mind is everywhere and nowhere, like I said.

In other news, Eleanor went and got a haircut today! Just on a whim. I walked out of there with a crazy smile on my face - the girl that hacked away at my strands was awesome, but... I didn't have just one person paying me their attention, I had five. Yes, five people were surrounding me while I was having my hair cut. A boy was next to us, cutting an older woman's hair, and he noticed my piercings [I have... A few ;) ] so he came over and we had a conversation about that. Then he went and got another girl who loved piercings too, and she started talking to me. Then a girl I knew came over, and the group became five (including me). Before you know it, another had come over and they were all fussing over my hair. It was the single most hilarious thing that's happened to me all holidays (all eight weeks of them), and I found myself enjoying the social encounters. Usually I'm extremely shy, and even moreso now thanks to the 'dark cloud' hovering over me, but I really did step out into the sunlight today. I was Eleanor again. I felt like Eleanor would have felt, and it was amazing.


I found this quote thatI wanted to share with you all. I wrote it in my diary, because it was just so relevant at the time, and is so relevant now.

"For I dipped into the future,
far as the human eye could see,
Saw the vision of the world,
and all the wonder that would be
."


love, love, love.

14 comments:

mariposai said...

Take a deep breath and step back from the situation. Sure school is important, but you don't have to decide the rest of your life in the next two years. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do. In fact it's more fun not knowing and being able to experiment with different things.

Enjoy having the potential to go in any direction you want - this is liberating, and if you choose a path that doesn't suit, you can always change. Whatever you do will be a good learning experience.

Returning to school will bring lots of positives - learning new things, meeting new people (after your experience in the hairdressers I don't think you have much to worry about in that department :P) and a chance to rebuild a life outside of the eating disorder.

Whatever happens on Monday, try to savour something positive from the experience, and give yourself something nice to look forward to when you get home. If I have a stressful day (exam, first day in new job etc) I plan a treat for myself to help me through the day (e.g. a dvd to watch, a friend to meet, a little shopping etc)..

I'll stop waffling now, but don't pile too much pressure on yourself and take each day a step at a time.

Going back to school is another win for Eleanor - one that she should be very proud of ;)

Sarah x

Becca said...

eleanor darling,
you are SO much stronger than this stupid ED. i believe in you so much and know you can beat this. i know it feels like you have so much on your plate right now, but i often find it helps me just to sit and rationalize everything. in the end, i find everything isn't REALLY as mind boggling and terrifying as it had originally seemed.
take care beautiful girl. i love you so much.
love,
becca

Anonymous said...

Eleanor :)
It makes sense that ED is using the impending pressures of school and career choices to his advantage - he wants nothing more than for you to let your guard down and surrender to his taunting. You are so much stronger than that now. Being entirely accountable for your morning snack and your lunch is a scary thing.. but you know the difference between right and wrong. Now that the real Eleanor is starting to shine through, you have the upper hand against ED (even if it doesn't always feel like it).
Try to view school as a positive thing - you will be able to learn some new amazing things... and as you slowly find your identity, you will realize the things that truly interest you.

With that I want to leave you with a challenge - the next time you crave some crunchy cereal and soy milk, kick some ED ass and do it! You deserve to feel empowered :)

<3
Tat

Ps.. thank you so much for your comment - you have no idea how much it helped me. You continuously make me a stronger person each day. I love you so much, and I hope you can see how truly beautiful you are.

Anonymous said...

just breath beautiful. realize that you don't need to know what you want to do with your life yet. you have plenty of time to explore. sure its not going to be the easiest thing in the world, but you will survive. you can do this, don't let Ed talk you in to holding yourself back.
your haircut sounds like so much fun, and i'm so glad eleanor came out, see she's in there & she's beautiful!
happy thursday :)
xoxo

Anonymous said...

I know that it's hard to accept this, but you don't need to have your entire life planned out right now. Hell, I'm halfway through grad school and I still don't know what I'm going to do with my life! It's important (in terms of you own mental well-being!) to relax the rigidity over plans for the future. Just breathe; you will get through this, and it will work out. Things have a weird way of doing that.

<3 <3

i love bows:) said...

Hey:) so i just found your blog, and i hope you dont mind me commenting...
sweetie, im 25 and i'm still fuguring things out! See, when i was at school, I let ED be my boss, and i just did what everyone else thought was best-and i ended up in Uni doing a stressful course that i hated. So i quit.and then i started getting my freedom from ED. And its only now that i know what i want to do, and im back at college working for it.you dont have to have it all figured out right now. And the fact that you are going back to school is something you should be very proud of:) Going back to college, this year, i found it helpful to take my own food with me, safe stuff from my food plan, and that helped me.

your going to be fine:)
vic x

Anonymous said...

Hun, it's perfectly normal to not know where you want to go in life... I think most people have no idea what they truly want to do. Hell, I'm still trying to figure it out after years and years of school. The last years of high school are important, but not really as life or death as you're seeing them... you can't write-off the rest of your life even if you don't do that well in high school.

Just breathe, love... it's a molehill, not a mountain... as big as it may look for now :) It's hard to take responsibility for ourselves... I had big issues with this too, and I still struggle with being independent. But the more you do it, the more empowered you'll feel, and the easier it will become.

You need to give yourself more credit. You're so smart... you know what to do, you just need to learn to trust yourself <3

Walking thru Sunflowers said...

Hi there Eleanor - first i just want to say how much i enjoy your blog because of your HONESTY!!! I am so sorry that you are feeling so overwhelmed and i know what you are going thru!!!! Even now at the point i am at in my life i am unsure about my current career and have seriously considered a change!!! It is normal not to always know what we want or what we are meant to do - what i do is take one day at a time - try not to think about the future because we don't know what the future has in store!!!! Im here for you -
xoxo aimee

Kylee said...

Eleanor, you are so absolutely amazing. Your experience while you were having your haircut reminds me so much of the encounters I've been having at school - I love that you got to experience something like that; I definitely know how it feels and it is amazing! That quote is so beautiful, I love it. Good luck on Monday, beautiful! And don't fret about not knowing what you want to do with your life, most people don't have a clue and you're still young. -Kylee

Jenna said...

Hey!
Just came across your blog and I love reading it! I can't wait to follow :)
I would love it if you could check out mine and follow :)
Jenna

Emily said...

sounds like you had a wonderful experience getting your hair done :) it's so nice to hear YOU were coming out, not ED!

don't fret too much about school and responsibility - you'll figure things out, I promise!

xoxo

lindsey said...

hey girl,

ED or not, everyone has the same worries and stresses about life and decisions to make, although i know firsthand that ED magnifies those fears x348793475. the best advice i can give you is so TRUST in yourself and BELIEVE. you have to have faith, eleanor. you are such a smart girl with a good head on her shoulders, and i know you are beyond capable of conquering your fears and succeeding! that gut feeling? i have one, too. you are going to go so far. you have TOO much to offer, and TOO much you are holding back. you are a wonderful person and i thank you for sharing yourself to the blogworld...you're a joy to read! this is going to be your struggle in life, so take it and learn from it! i was reading a blog a few minutes ago and she said that (in a kidding way, almost) that she wished everyone had an ED because she has learned so much about herself and APPRECIATES herself now. as wrong as it may come off, it is very true. i love you girl, and take each day slowly and conquer this beeotch :)

♥ lindsey

Anonymous said...

Whenever I get my hair cut/trimmed, I always feel like I'm walking out of the hair salon with a new beginning. I hope that maybe you feel the same way too! x) And that you will continue to keep fighting ED and not let it get in the way of the life you rightfully deserve! *hugs*

xx

Ruby Converse and Curls said...

Aah if only ED could be cut and snipped away from our heads by hairdressers. But alas!
Monday is not a whole new start. Every day leading up to it you've been learning and preparing, gathering the strength and resources to cope with whatever the next two years will bring. As for not knowing what you want to do with your life, I can totally relate. It's terrifying. But life can be seen as one giant haircut. ;) You grab the scissors and start improvising, cutting away what you dislike and keeping the things you do. When inspiration strikes you snip away like mad, creating for yourself the future (slash killer hairdo!) that you want. Okay that's a crap metaphor, but I hope you get what I mean! If only I had your writing skills. ;)

Rachael*