All together now... And *sigh*.
I did the usual Eleanor thing, and overreacted. Partly due to ED, partly due to the fact that I am, always have been and forever will be, a worry-wart. Self-diagnosed, of course, but it's quite obvious. I work myself up, consciously and subconsciously, into a nervous, nailbiting state, complete with bouncing up and down on my chair. And all for nothing!
As I unwillingly stepped on the scale this morning, my mind was buzzing at a hundred miles and second, ED's voice was blasting its way through my head and pounding me with threats to make my life a complete and utter misery if I've gained. But wait! ED already has made my life a complete and utter misery! Well, as the numbers settled, and as my body, without my permission, tensed up into a knot, my mind sort of hit a brick wall. After going at a hundred miles a second, hitting a brick wall stops you with amazing force. Imagine that. Only times about 66875154654. Yes. I was in complete and utter shock.
...I maintained.
Cue ED going AWOL, cue Mum and Dad going "Huh! I told you so..." and cue me staring at my Nutritionist with a dumb-founded look. What? Maintained? What? No! I can't have! I've gained weight! I had to have! What about all of this body mass, all of this "fat" feeling? No! This doesn't make sense!
As I unwillingly stepped on the scale this morning, my mind was buzzing at a hundred miles and second, ED's voice was blasting its way through my head and pounding me with threats to make my life a complete and utter misery if I've gained. But wait! ED already has made my life a complete and utter misery! Well, as the numbers settled, and as my body, without my permission, tensed up into a knot, my mind sort of hit a brick wall. After going at a hundred miles a second, hitting a brick wall stops you with amazing force. Imagine that. Only times about 66875154654. Yes. I was in complete and utter shock.
...I maintained.
Cue ED going AWOL, cue Mum and Dad going "Huh! I told you so..." and cue me staring at my Nutritionist with a dumb-founded look. What? Maintained? What? No! I can't have! I've gained weight! I had to have! What about all of this body mass, all of this "fat" feeling? No! This doesn't make sense!
I was clinging to something, anything. Maintaining, however, is better than losing, and I've convinced myself of that. ED can go chew an old sock, for all I care - I am not a failure, and no one will make me believe otherwise. I am not fat, and ED can't make me believe that, either. This is my body telling me I'm doing okay, but I need more. I haven't really been upped in much. I just have to have some form of calorie-dense(ish) drink instead of my usual thirty-seven cups of tea. Not all of them, though! Just an extra drink, be it milk, juice, or some other form of calorie-d drink. Which I can do. Which ED can't make me feel bad for having. Which ED can't convince me I don't need and refuse to have. I need it, and DAMNIT all, I will have it.
We each have a stairway that we've all been too afraid to walk up. It's a very long stairway, but nonetheless, after the first few steps we become scared of the nearing light. This stairway, though, does lead to somewhere special. At the top, after that very last, final step, is the place we deserve to be. The place we once were, but unfortunately we were pushed down the stairway, and that's scared us from getting back on it and walking it again. The emotional, psychological fear of that stairway stops us from wanting to get back on it. But those first few initial steps have been taken, and yes, we may find ourselves stuck on one for a while, but we have the strength to take another, and another. The closer we come to the end of the stairs, the more we can see into our special somewhere, and the more we realize how much we were missing out on. There will be rickety stairs, sticky stairs, creaky stairs, slippery stairs and seemingly un-steppable stairs - we might step back one or two paces at times, but we have the strength to get back up. All of these stairs is significant, each and every step we take is a step closer to our "home", each and every step we take is a step further away from the dark and miserable place we were pushed down in to.
And the best thing? There's no door we have to open, no key we have to find to unlock it. No Alice In Wonderland doors that talk, that are too big or too small or locked or jammed or stubborn. We just... Step through the doorway, and in to the light.
And the rest is history. A history worth making. A history we will look back on and think "Wow, I really did myself proud."
Yes, that stairway will always be there. But another great thing? Once we're in our special somwhere, we have the ability to place a door in that doorway, lock it and throw away the key.
We can do that because it is us that is in control. It is our life we are living. Not a shell of a life that ED is destroying.
Yes, that stairway will always be there. But another great thing? Once we're in our special somwhere, we have the ability to place a door in that doorway, lock it and throw away the key.
We can do that because it is us that is in control. It is our life we are living. Not a shell of a life that ED is destroying.
I want to thank you, each and every one of you, for the unbelievable amount of support you gave me. Without you all, I simply wouldn't have been able to get through the day as well as I did. Your words of kindness, your encouragement, your beautiful compliments and your undying, unflailing belief in my spirits up higher than I thought imaginable. I was, and still am, overwhelmed by the love I recieved.
Thank you, thank you all, from the bottomless bottom of my heart. I love you all with such intensity, and I can honestly say that my life would not be the same without you. You have helped to mould me into the girl I am becoming again. You are all a part of my life, and you forever will be.
love, love, love.
...times a billion and one.
Thank you, thank you all, from the bottomless bottom of my heart. I love you all with such intensity, and I can honestly say that my life would not be the same without you. You have helped to mould me into the girl I am becoming again. You are all a part of my life, and you forever will be.
love, love, love.
...times a billion and one.

19 comments:
Hi Eleanor,
I stumbled across your blog the other day and sat engrossed for hours reading it, and have been coming back eagerly awaiting for updates ever since.
I am astounded at how much insight you have into your illness, how eloquent you are in expressing your thoughts and feelings, and how inspiring and positive you are.
I can relate to so much of what you are saying, your words are incredibly real and moving. I don't have an ED, at least not a diagnosable one, but I am aware of ED thoughts and behaviours in my life. My "ED" is a "neg" - the negative mind. My battle is with severe depression which has been plaguing me for years. It has become me. I have become it. I can't bear to live with it but I can't let it go because I don't know who I am without it. There are so many parallels to ED it's not funny.
I would like to thank you for being so open and sharing your story and your wisdom. It seems like you have an amazing little community of support here, it is touching to see how much love and support you girls show each other.
I am left without a doubt that you are a truly remarkable young woman. I KNOW that you will overcome your trials, your strength and determination shine through even in your darkest posts. You are a delightful gift to the world.
I don't have a blog, however I am now addicted to yours and will definitely be coming back :-)
Love and best wishes,
Steph
P.S. I've never commented on a blog before so I hope this works!
Eleanor - what an inspiring, uplifting POST!!!!! I loved the analogy of climbing the stairs to recovery - I can totally relate - I feel like im on that staircase right now!!!!!!!
I too get so stressed over appointments but you did it and were surprised at the result!!!!! Keep fighting - I know you can do it!!!!!! If you need anything im always here for you!!!!!!!!!!
Enjoy your weekend!!!
xoxo aimee
Eleanor!
I honestly don't think I could love you any more...! Once again, your words speak to me like no other. I am always dumb-founded by your wisdom (the staircase analogy is absolutely beautiful!), and I find when I struggle throughout the day, reading your blog never fails to lift my spirits and enable me to keep on climbing ;)
Congratulations on such a wonderful day! It was hard, it was challenging and nerve-wracking, but you came out on top! I am so happy to hear that your motivation to recover is back and in full-gear. You realized just how powerful EDs manipulations can be if you let your guard down... and this time he doesn't stand a chance!
*hugs*
You are a beautiful soul.
Tat
I'm a big over-reactor too. Wanna start a club? :)
So easy for the mind to play tricks on us... convince us of something that isn't true. There were times in the past I could have sworn I ballooned up where in reality I ended up losing... It's our thoughts we have to put a reign on before anything else. But I'm glad to hear that your appointment went well, hun... and that you're going to take another step towards recovery :) I know you can do it.
Your stairway analogy is beautiful... I can't wait to get into that room and lock the door :)
Precious!
i have been reading all yopur post! but sorry, im really exhausted with life and with the battle that is ongoing day and night within me. the fight against ED. hugs. thanks for being an inspiration.. i love you precious. and thanks, because your perseverance gave me the strength i needed. im almost giving up. i felt like running back to the past..cause there i can find comfort. precious, dont be afraid. i know the fear is constantly plaudging your mind. and the voices are real. dont listen to them. live your life that is a gift to you. i love you.
You are exactly right--ED is the one who is already making your life miserable and no matter what that number on the scale says ED will try to use it to make you feel badly. The trick is to not let him--and you didn't! Good for you.
oh my gosh eleanor! this post was so amazing(: you always seem to blow me away! can i just tell you that i am so proud of you? good job on having such a day! i have no doubt that it was confusing or surprising but i cant even tell you that i am just SO happy to hear that your recovery is going so well! do you see how amazing your body is? never ceases to amaze me- ed is a sucker, and eleanor is the best...polar opposites i noticed :D im sending you positivity & huge hugs! xoxo soph
Aaah... That would be a sigh of relief that I just exhaled. ;) You were in my thoughts yesterday and I was hoping desperately that everything that your appointment was going alright. And I'm so glad that it did! I also have a freakish tendency to over react... And then feel super silly. It's terrifying to believe something so wholeheartedly and then be proven wrong. I am with you on your staircase journey (beautiful metaphor, as always)... Just so long as we stop from time to time in order to have tea parties and drink our caloric beverages with upraised pinkies.
Rachael*
This post is so good and inspiring. I am a HUGE over-reactor as well. I mean really huge (I blame OCD) lol! I'm glad you have managed to be positive.
I hope things really go well for you! *hugs*
xxxx
okay number one, LOVE that photo. Number two, LOVE this post even more. So inspirational. I love you so much and your words are just so incredible. It is so true, we can totally walk up those stairs and through the light, if only we can allow ourselves to do so :]
congrats on maintaining :] no, it may not be gaining. but it IS better than losing.
love you,
becca
As ever you write beautifully, and I very much like the stairway metaphor.
You are definitely on the way to leaving that dark horrible place behind.
Well done for getting through today and thank you for your thoughtful comments on my blog :-)
Sarah x
Eleanor,
YOU ARE INCREDIBLE!!! I read this twice over and was so amazed by your talent and ability to capture your feelings and write about them with such beauty! You have helped me so much already love, and you do NEED those things that will start the upward trek. "I need it, and DAMNIT all, I will have it." amazing!!! you can do this I am SO sure of it sweetie.
I'm always here, and you are truly too lovely for words miss!
<3 You!
Amanda
sometimes we need this just to show us that its safe to eat more, sure its annoying but it can help you so much its just like a resurrance that you need to eat more to be healthy.
You are such an amazing girl and you words always lift me up, you amaze me
You are such a beautiful person, Eleanor. I truly believe one day you will live a glorious, ED-free life. I'm glad today went well, hopefully tomorrow goes well too (: -Kylee
Hey Eleanor,
Thank you for your sweet comment! I looked it up and If you are in the time zone of Sydney Australia you will tune in at 10am your time on Mondays!
Since I don't really know WHERE you are in Australia I can't really give you a definite time, but you will be anywhere from 8 to 10 hours ahead, depending on where you are located! I am in the same time zone as New York (even though I'm WAY further south!) I would love it if you could tune in, but I will dedicate a song to you regardless!
history worth making indeed! i know it's a challenge, but you sound like such a strong woman i know you can do it!
i'm so proud of you girl!
keep it up, a positive frame of mind can do wonders for the body :)
♥ lindsey
Eleanor, I dedicated the song "Light" by the Rocket Summer to you! Listen to it, read the lyrics, you'll love it!
im so glad you were able to enjoy your day <3
stay smiling. xoxo
Post a Comment