Thursday, January 14, 2010

And The Rules Are...

...There are no rules!

Living life under guidelines, restrictions, codes, oaths, rules, whatever... is not living. Having to do certain things, and not do other things, takes the fun out of, well, everything. The rules we've set up in our minds, they serve no purpose. The only thing we are achieving by following these rules is an unhappy, unhealthy lifestyle, devoid of anything remotely enjoyable.
Don't do this, don't do that. Do this, do that.
Or else!
Or else what, though? What would happen if we were to bend the rules, or completely ignore them? What would really happen? Would we... Lose? But lose what? Lose control? We have no control. We are being controlled. These rules we've set up are what is controlling us. ED's voice is being spoken through these rules.


Rules are different to laws. Laws are written down in a book, and they are there for legal, moral and ethical reasons. Rules, however, aren't so important. Sure, there are the sensible ones like "Don't run by the pool" or "Be quiet in the Library", but that's common sense. Rules are much simpler - they're put in place to ensure that there is order and control - no confusions, no disruptions, no disfunction. The rules we put in place, though, aren't common sense rules, they don't have any sort of "order" about them at all. Hence, Disordered Eating. Our rules disrupt the order of our lives, creating disorder and disfuncion and loss of control, in our minds, our brains, our bodies, our emotions and our mentality. We aren't functioning, we don't have order. The rules we put in place to have "control" have been severely misinterpreted; we lost the control we were trying to gain.

I'm probably blabbering, but this issue has been on my mind a lot, lately. I am, as always, in two minds about the gaining weight business. (The inevitable gaining weight business, might I add.) My upcoming Nutritionist appointment on Saturday (after a month of not seeing her) has triggered these conflicting thoughts and now, unfortunately, I'm on a downward spiral. The one part of me wants to gain weight, so I can start getting my life back together and stop having to go to theseNutrition appointments. The other part of me doesn't want to gain weight, as it's seen as a failure. These two conflicting thoughts are so, so similar, that I honestly can't determine which voice is mine and which is not. It is almost as if the two thoughts are one, the two voices are one. Slowly, I'm becoming more intrenched in this Disorder, and losing Eleanor.
That's where the whole order and control comes into it. This is Eleanor's mind, Eleanor's body, Eleanor's life. So, one would assume that I can control these negative thoughts and order them away, instead of being controlled and ordered by them. An incorrect assumption, sadly. If only it was that easy.


I was supposed to have a Therapy session today, but I didn't end up going to see my Therapist. Instead, I had a sort-of therapy appointment at home, with my Dad. The conversation I had with him could not have gone any better. And that, in all honesty, shocked me. Everything I said, was everything I was going to say in Therapy. Everything I wanted was everything I got. And that has blown me away.
In my previous post, (I think?) I talked about not being listened to or understood by my parents. But I could not have been more off the mark. Dad said something to me that brought a whole fresh, new, salty batch of tears around... Tissue boxes are good to have on hand in moments like these. (Snotty and gross, I know.)

Without further adiue, what Papa Bear said:

"This disorder reminds me of the Abusive Spouse situation."
(I was dumb-founded at this. My head screamed "He understands!")
"You're in a relationship, and you love your partner, regardless of the pain, both physically and mentally, they bring to you. You become dependent on them. You become a part of them, and they a part of you. The thought of leaving them has crossed your mind but it scares you too much to ever think of again, as you can't comprehend your life without them. You put up with their abuse because it's you, it's your life."

Of course, he said this in a much more proper, understandable way. But that was the main gist of it. Now, girls... What was that I was saying about my parents not understanding me...?
I can't put in to words how much this helped me. Obviously it hasn't just made everything better - ED is still here and still in every corner, every nook and cranny - but it has definitely helped immensely. My Dad knows, in his own way. Of course he doesn't understand exactly what goes on in my head, but that's a given. It's that he can compare it to something that I myself have compared it to!




Today, I've probably confused you, and myself, much more than I should have. And if you made it this far, again, you deserve a medal and a big gold star... Maybe one on Hollywood Boulevard, too! But really... There are so many thoughts in my head, all at once, all the time, that it's hard to make sense of them all. Having you girls here to see me through and help me to make sense of these thoughts has helped me more than I can say, and I wish there were words to express my love, gratitude and appreciation.
Without you all,  I wouldn't be where I am today. Cliche, I know, but too true.



...Sorry, Chuck.


Instead of following the "guidelines" ED has tried to make us follow, let's colour outside of the lines.


love, love, love.

11 comments:

mariposai said...

Hey :-)

Great message in this post. One thing that my psychiatrist told me at the beginning of my recovery was that it was time for me to construct my own rule book.

I'd spent my life living by other people's rules, especially ED's, and to recover I had to figure out what I actually wanted. What I believed in.

My rules are so much better ;)

Sarah x

Nutmeg said...

Wow this is really amazing post. It makes so much sense. I've never thought of things in terms of rules and my ED but this makes a lot of sense.

I'm really glad that you and your dad had a convo. I'm glad that you found out that your dad understand *hugs*

I really like this post!

xxxx

Anonymous said...

Eleanor!
I can't even begin to tell you how happy it made me to hear that you had such a heartfelt conversation with your dad. Having true and honest support at home can be so comforting.
We can't blame our parents for not understanding, but we can commend them when they do :)

Thank you my darling for sharing this post. Despite what you might think, your point is crystal clear :) You have such a beautiful way of writing, and with each post I can feel the Eleanor that wants to be set free. Who is she? She is the girl who is full of creativity, beauty, wisdom and compassion. Unfortunately she has temporarily lost her way by following the enticing rules of ED. Getting wrapped up in rules strips away everything else, and YOU DESERVE MORE :)

There is NOTHING stopping you my beautiful friend - ditch the rules, and gain the control. Listen to ELEANOR'S voice, and HER rules because they are the only ones that matter.

Love, love, LOVE you to the ends of the earth :)
xox
tAT

Anonymous said...

What happens when we break the rules? I'll tell ya... we have fun. We enjoy things. We feel proud. We feel free. We live according to what we love, and it's beautiful. Gaining weight is never a failure. Ever. It's a victory over ED. It's taking back the power of your own life and your own future. It's freeing yourself from the prison your ED has put you in.

It's great to hear that your conversation with your dad went well. My parents are supportive, but they don't really "get it" per say. They can't understand my disordered thoughts... because, really, they make no sense to anyone who's never experienced them. Even some of my past fears make no sense to me anymore...

Always wishing you the best, dear girl. Please fight hard and don't let go of the beautiful soul that is Eleanor. xox

Kylee said...

Eleanor, this post is so beautiful and inspiring, as your posts tend to be. It is exactly what I needed today.
I'm so glad you had that conversation with your dad! He does know, in his own way. I can't imagine how hard it would be to have parents that you don't feel even try to understand. I also can't imagine how difficult it must be on their end. My mom tries to understand, but sometimes I feel like she is disappointed in me, in a way.

Wishing you all the best!
-Kylee

lindsey said...

eleanor! i'm so happy you have found a wonderful and understanding support in your father. when my parents finally understood what i actually went through, so much stress was lifted off my chest! i hope you know that this is another major step in recovery. ED wants you to keep him a secret. letting it out and finding help in others is an ED-killer. its like having another fighter on your side :) the more the merrier, right? :)

love you girl!

♥ lindsey

Anonymous said...

hey eleanor! you never cease to amaze me(: i cant even tell you how much this post hit me, it was so inspiring and lovely! great job on the conversation with your dad too, i remember how amazing it was to tell my dad! he definately is there for you and always will be. its so good to have parents who really listen! you are amazing im sending you lotsss of love!
xoxo
soph ♥

Kels Anne said...

Hey! You are an amazing writer! I agree with you, I don't know if I want to let go or not. Part of me wants to, part of me doesn't want to. I have lived with this my whole life, well, since I was 5 years old..so it's kinda hard to know what life is w/o ed.

mariposai said...

just a little note to say thanks for your lovely comment on my blog today...I was feeling rubbish and it brightened my day...well evening ;)

Sarah x

Ruby Converse and Curls said...

Oh lovely, don't let Eleanor slip away. She's such a treasure. I don't even "know" her (you!) and I know it. The Eleanor I know is wiser than Dumbledore, has crazy cool hair, is ridiculously talented and loves doggies. For a disorder to stifle such a bright and incredible spirit is one of the saddest things I could possibly think of. I REALLY mean it.
The beginning of this post reminded me of a quote I have, so I dug in my collection to find it!...
"Control is never achieved when sought after directly. It is the suprising outcome of letting go." - James Arthur Ray
Sooo glad your convo went well. It's crazy how we can underestimate how much others understand.
The next time I'm in Hollywood I'm totally putting the name Eleanor on one of the stars ;)

Rachael*

Becca said...

omg you are SO adorable eleanor. and sooo wise. you have brought so much positivity into my life. and you invoke so much THOUGHT in everyone who reads your posts. you just totally get it.
i'm so glad your father was able to finally understand. that must be so amazing to have someone just get it who does not have an ED. sure, they may not get it fully and it may frustrate them beyond belief. but at least you know they kind of understand.
love you girl! stay positive and stay strong <3
love,
becca