New Year's Day, I've come to realize, is the same as any other day. Any given day only comes once - when it's over, it's gone. There's no going back, there's no re-doing things you think you did wrong, there's no 'fixing things up' and making things 'right'. New Year's Day, yes, is a changing of a year, but tomorrow, that will be a changing of a year, too. It depends on where you start.
New Years brings promise of change, betterment, improvement. But why? Why shouldn't every day bring promise of change, betterment and improvement? Today, the first day of the "New Year", was no different to any other day. Infact, I felt disappointed. I'd set myself up, expected something to instantaneously change, though I did say to myself I wouldn't. The starting of a new year didn't rid me of the thing that plagues my mind, my body, my soul... My life. I know that it is unreasonable, irrational and just plain stupid to have that thought in the back of my mind, the expectation that somehow, miraculously, everything would just be better, because 2009 - one of the worst years of my short life - was over. I no longer had to live with the fact that I lessened my chances of a good life in 2009, the responsibility of that wasn't over my head anymore. But I was wrong. I am wrong.
Today, like any other day, that voice wreaked havoc through my head. Screaming, throwing tantrums, carrying on, howling abuse and insults. Fat, ugly, worthless, useless, a waste, a mess. That's not right! I thought. It's 2010, you're supposed to be gone. But no.
Things got so bad today. While I was out with my mother, trying to enjoy time with her, I fell victim to the abuse. Your thighs are rubbing together, you fat cow. How could you let this happen to you? I voiced this to my mother, in less harsh words, but she threw it off, not paying attention, or showing any sign of caring. I don't know how these thoughts came into my mind, but they snuck in when I was vulnerable. Five minutes earlier I had been laughing and blushing over a cute boy who smiled at me. Like a switch that had been flicked, my light went out, and darkness engulfed me. Attacked in the dark, at my weakest. My weakest, just so happens to be when I'm happy. ED is a monster.
Things got so bad today. While I was out with my mother, trying to enjoy time with her, I fell victim to the abuse. Your thighs are rubbing together, you fat cow. How could you let this happen to you? I voiced this to my mother, in less harsh words, but she threw it off, not paying attention, or showing any sign of caring. I don't know how these thoughts came into my mind, but they snuck in when I was vulnerable. Five minutes earlier I had been laughing and blushing over a cute boy who smiled at me. Like a switch that had been flicked, my light went out, and darkness engulfed me. Attacked in the dark, at my weakest. My weakest, just so happens to be when I'm happy. ED is a monster.
I have realized a lot. Actually, I am always realizing things. And sometimes it's frustrating, because though realize these things, they somehow don't apply to me? But this, I will apply to me, as I will try to apply all of my realizations.
No matter what the date is, what the time is, how light or dark it is, where you are or what you are doing, you are living. In and out of your lungs, around and through your veins, flows life. And no matter what the date is, what the time is, how light or dark it is, where you are or what you are doing, you have choice. This minute, the minute before, the minute after, only ever comes once. What we do with those minutes of our lives is our choice. ED may plague our minds, and envelope us in a little dark box you can barely call life, but we have ourselves, too. Our minds, however masked by and full of ED, have the ability to see through the mask, and get past the blockage. Self-talk, not to ED, but to ourselves. Positive self-talk. Encouraging ourselves, motivating ourselves, influencing ourselves... Engaging ourselves in positive thinking. At the start of this post, I was a mess, I was in a negative hole full of EDs bullshit (excuse the French), and I was not happy. I made the choice to listen to EDs idiocy, but again, I made the choice to listen to Eleanor. My positive side. The side that matters.
No matter what the date is, what the time is, how light or dark it is, where you are or what you are doing, you are living. In and out of your lungs, around and through your veins, flows life. And no matter what the date is, what the time is, how light or dark it is, where you are or what you are doing, you have choice. This minute, the minute before, the minute after, only ever comes once. What we do with those minutes of our lives is our choice. ED may plague our minds, and envelope us in a little dark box you can barely call life, but we have ourselves, too. Our minds, however masked by and full of ED, have the ability to see through the mask, and get past the blockage. Self-talk, not to ED, but to ourselves. Positive self-talk. Encouraging ourselves, motivating ourselves, influencing ourselves... Engaging ourselves in positive thinking. At the start of this post, I was a mess, I was in a negative hole full of EDs bullshit (excuse the French), and I was not happy. I made the choice to listen to EDs idiocy, but again, I made the choice to listen to Eleanor. My positive side. The side that matters.
Girls, my words may be all over the place, and my ideas might be a huge pile of mess (much like the state of my room...) but hopefully some of what I've said makes sense.
My main message is, be it New Year's Eve, New Year's Day, or the 17th day of the fourth month of 2045, we have the opportunity to change our lives and head in the right direction. I know that "right" is seen differently in everyone's minds, but what I mean by "right direction" is towards the life you want to live, the life you dreamt of living as a child, the life you invisioned yourself being in. Where you are happy, healthy, in love with your surroundings, where you can love yourself and accept yourself and appreciate you for the beautiful person you are. We can all set goals, and resolutions on New Year's Eve/Day, but we can all set goals today, tomorrow, or in seventy-two days time. We are in control of our lives.
My main message is, be it New Year's Eve, New Year's Day, or the 17th day of the fourth month of 2045, we have the opportunity to change our lives and head in the right direction. I know that "right" is seen differently in everyone's minds, but what I mean by "right direction" is towards the life you want to live, the life you dreamt of living as a child, the life you invisioned yourself being in. Where you are happy, healthy, in love with your surroundings, where you can love yourself and accept yourself and appreciate you for the beautiful person you are. We can all set goals, and resolutions on New Year's Eve/Day, but we can all set goals today, tomorrow, or in seventy-two days time. We are in control of our lives.
I'm going to be very outright here, and abnormally forthcoming. Now I know I haven't known you for all that long, and I know we have our differences and maybe we weren't meant to 'be'... But girls, would you like to go on a date with me, into living?
Love, love, love.
11 comments:
... I'd be honored! I'll bring the champagne and you bring the bouquet of roses, m'kay? I might have to fight off that cute boy who was smiling at you though. ;)
You are absolutely right. At the end of the day New Years is just that, a day like any other. But it's an opportunity to reflect, something that we unfortunately do more than enough. Every breath you take is another chance to make a change and turn things around. I'm so grateful for your support and am with you every step of the way, lightsaber in one hand and swashbuckling sword in the other.
Rachael*
Hehe... I thought you would never ask! I would love to go on a date with your, Eleanor! :P You are so right, every moment of every day we have the choice to live.
Your Mind is a remarkable one, girl! Every time I read your comments, it's like a fire is lit up from the inside. You have such insight and brilliance when it comes to the workings of ED. I am so sorry that you are feeling tormented at this time, I know that feeling of heart-wrenching discouragement all too well, and no one deserves it.
I think it would be beneficial for you to go through your archives and read past entries - reviewing them from a different perspective might help you to apply some of your amazing realizations.
Your Soul is truly remarkable. You are such an amazing and compassionate friend and daughter. The beauty from within radiates from every post and I can't help but see the true Eleanor reaching out. This is the real you, the part that you can always count on, and the part that ED can never fully take away from you.
Your Body is changing, and it's scary - but it's a sign that you are HEALING! It's so frusterating to hear that your mother shrugged off your concerns, but that just reinforces the fact that she loves you no matter what the scale says or how you look on the outside. The people that truly matter see your body for what it is - a vessel to protect the all-important mind and soul.
Eeek! Sorry for the novel comment again.. I really must learn not to ramble so much.
Happy New Years girl!
xox
Tat
of course i will!! haha.
so true, everything you said in this post. everyday brings forth the opportunity to change--it is up to us to make that choice.
love you darling. happy new years :]
do you even have to ask? of course. what an amazing post eleanor. we have everyday to make a change, so why not do it today. and if today doesn't work out so well, we can try again tomorrow. we don't have to give up, we are strong and we have the tools to move forward.
i hope you enjoy today dear, fight back against Ed, i know you can kick him in the face.
happy new year girl :)
xoxo
My beautiful girl, I cannot think of something I would like to do MORE!
Like you said, "We are in control of our lives". Nothing changes if nothing changes, so this year we need to MAKE the changes. Its up to us. Nobody else is going to recover for us, we have to do it ourselves.
May 2010 be the year of Eleanor. ED does not deserve a place in your life my love. Let this be the year you kick him out for good.
All my love, as always <3
Hannah xo
Awwr my darling girl, I just want to give you a big hug. I will most certainly be your date this year. We'll have a wonderful time and smile and laugh... no third wheels though, alright? We're gonna kick ED's ass to the curb and leave it there.
Don't listen to the monster, Eleanor... It lies to keep control over you; to keep you from moving forward to where you want to be. We're in this together, love... and this year, we WILL kick this thing.
Hi!
Thanks for your comment! Guess we weren't meant to be a rock star, huh? ;)
I loved this post, its always so flabbergasting to me how young people can be so...wise and deep.
And I can understand the whole feeling about your mother not caring...if you read my blog, I'm sure you understand what I mean.
Yes, positivism! I learned that this is what bring me AND others up! That's why I try to make my posts as much happy and filled with joy as possible. I want to bring simles to people. :)
Happy 2010!
xoxo
Vanilla
just YES!
heheh
xxxx
You're so right--each day is a an opportunity and we shouldn't wait for some special day to start working for life. We do have the power to keep fighting back against ED negativism. I've found that what helps me is to take things day by day, even hour by hour sometimes and remember that each hour or moment is a chance to start over.
i thought the exact same thing on new years!! why do we say we will change something when we have everyday where we can change ourselves. yet i still used new years to start over again and i loved it ;) i guess i am a go with the flow kind of person
hope the new year brings you back your life, the one you truely wish for
xoxo
Thank you so much! I will still read your blog whenever you post, so I won't be going far! and don't forget, if you ever need anything at all, i'm just an email away!
Post a Comment