Two hours of sleep.
In 48 hours.
This is what it must feel like to be a zombie.
Oh, wait. I am a zombie.
In 48 hours.
This is what it must feel like to be a zombie.
Oh, wait. I am a zombie.
Last night was supposed to be an awesome night. It was supposed to be a night that I could forget about everything and just be Eleanor, with no attachments, no clingers-on, no invading thoughts. Last night I spent the night at boy-crush's house, and while it was great, it wasn't great great. We watched violent movies, inappropriate movies and movies that made me cry/laugh/angry/happy/sad/furious/crazy/want-to-drink-so-much-beer (which I didn't mind you, it was just in the movie!). I spent time with someone I loved, I slept in his bed (no, nothing happened!) and I stayed up until 4 in the morning, by his side the whole night. But someone else was by my side the whole night, too. And all morning. And throughout the remainder of the day.
I got up, and I looked in the cupboards for something to have for breakfast. ED took complete advantage of the opportunity to skip, so I cut up and apple and had that. No, I didn't have the strength to eat "different bread", or "different cereal", to what I am used to. I wanted to have the strength to do it, but I failed, and I am so disappointed in myself because of it. I copped out. To make matters worse, I did it at morning snack, too. ED prayed on my vulnerable state and decided to cop out on having my usual snack, which I'd brought along with me. Something strange did happen, though. I had a bit of a turn around when I came home. I got picked up relatively early, and I still had my snack in my bag. All through the morning, ED was taunting me with it. "It's there... Waiting... but you can't have it. But you could have it... You just wont. Will you? No, you wont. No one will know! This is good!" Finally, it got too much, and when I came home, I whipped out my snack and started eating it, but ED jumped in half way through... Needless to say, only half a snack was consumed.
I missed out on my supplement drink at breakfast because I couldn't bring it (it's in powder form), and ED was rejoicing about that, too. But at lunch time, I asked my Mum to make up my drink (that I was goign to have with lunch anyway) to sort of make up for my missed breakfast supplement. Then I said "Mum, put three scoops in, instead of two. That'll make up for some of what I missed out on."
I guess the guilt was sort of playing up in me, rising up against ED. My conscience was trying to make an appearance, and that amazed me! So that was a bit of a turn-around.
I know I'm rambling, but today wasn't what it was supposed to be. ED was big. ED was strong. ED is still big, and ED is still strong, right now. Dinner was half-assed, so was afternoon snack. All in all, today has been a bad day. I'm feeling so... Well, conflicted. I feel guilty, but then ED makes me feel guilty for feeling guilty. I feel ashamed, then ED makes me feel ashamed for feeling ashamed. ED tries to tell me that today was a good day, that my "non-breakfast" was a good choice... ED was trying to comfort me, and I've been swaying towards it and away from it. Like I'm on a swing. I go up... Then back... up... then back... A pendulum. I'm not settling anywhere, I just keep bouncing off bad and good.
I got up, and I looked in the cupboards for something to have for breakfast. ED took complete advantage of the opportunity to skip, so I cut up and apple and had that. No, I didn't have the strength to eat "different bread", or "different cereal", to what I am used to. I wanted to have the strength to do it, but I failed, and I am so disappointed in myself because of it. I copped out. To make matters worse, I did it at morning snack, too. ED prayed on my vulnerable state and decided to cop out on having my usual snack, which I'd brought along with me. Something strange did happen, though. I had a bit of a turn around when I came home. I got picked up relatively early, and I still had my snack in my bag. All through the morning, ED was taunting me with it. "It's there... Waiting... but you can't have it. But you could have it... You just wont. Will you? No, you wont. No one will know! This is good!" Finally, it got too much, and when I came home, I whipped out my snack and started eating it, but ED jumped in half way through... Needless to say, only half a snack was consumed.
I missed out on my supplement drink at breakfast because I couldn't bring it (it's in powder form), and ED was rejoicing about that, too. But at lunch time, I asked my Mum to make up my drink (that I was goign to have with lunch anyway) to sort of make up for my missed breakfast supplement. Then I said "Mum, put three scoops in, instead of two. That'll make up for some of what I missed out on."
I guess the guilt was sort of playing up in me, rising up against ED. My conscience was trying to make an appearance, and that amazed me! So that was a bit of a turn-around.
I know I'm rambling, but today wasn't what it was supposed to be. ED was big. ED was strong. ED is still big, and ED is still strong, right now. Dinner was half-assed, so was afternoon snack. All in all, today has been a bad day. I'm feeling so... Well, conflicted. I feel guilty, but then ED makes me feel guilty for feeling guilty. I feel ashamed, then ED makes me feel ashamed for feeling ashamed. ED tries to tell me that today was a good day, that my "non-breakfast" was a good choice... ED was trying to comfort me, and I've been swaying towards it and away from it. Like I'm on a swing. I go up... Then back... up... then back... A pendulum. I'm not settling anywhere, I just keep bouncing off bad and good.
Today's been a fight between Good and Evil, and I'm somewhere in the middle. Or rather, I'm the something in the middle that Good and Evil are fighting for. Which in other circumstances might be flattering. But when I'm fighting with myself, over myself, the only thing I can call this is Hell.
To be honest, I don't really even know what I'm saying. ED's dictated my food choices today, and ED's pretty much been in my every thought today. Although my eats haven't been near good enough, I've eaten a lot of fruit. And ED's been playing up in that department."You've been eating all day. You haven't stopped eating. You failure..." Yada-yada-ya. I haven't done any form of physical activity today either, and the "fat" thoughts are starting to strengthen. I can feel them welling up inside and at some point they're going to have to find a way out. Anxiety is on the rise, too. Tomorrow I'm spending a few hours at a friend's "Birthday Brunch", which yes, means food. Cue ED's uproar. "So much food that you can't eat."
I really don't know what I'm doing, what I'm saying, or what I should do. My confidence, self-esteem and self-worth have been stomped into the ground. They are where ED should be, and believe me, I want nothign more than to stomp ED so far into the ground so that there's no chance of him ever seeing the light of day again. So that there's no chance of him taking hold of my heart, so that there's no chance of him taking control of my mind, so that there's no chance of him abusing my body.
I want this to be over. But I also feel to weak to do anything about it. My mind is tired. It wants to rest. I want to rest. But if I rest, I know ED will take over me completely. So in a way, I am the living dead. I'm only ever half-sleeping, because the other half of me is trying to stay on guard, keeping me safe from attacks. But the exhaustion is overwhelming sometimes and I lose total control, and the feeling when ED takes control is almost one of relief.
I want this to be over. But I also feel to weak to do anything about it. My mind is tired. It wants to rest. I want to rest. But if I rest, I know ED will take over me completely. So in a way, I am the living dead. I'm only ever half-sleeping, because the other half of me is trying to stay on guard, keeping me safe from attacks. But the exhaustion is overwhelming sometimes and I lose total control, and the feeling when ED takes control is almost one of relief.
Oh, girls, I am so sorry. I look back on what I've written and I am so deeply shamed. I need to get it out, I need to voice it. But it hurts to do so, because I almost don't want to admit to these awful things. I feel so useless, but that feeling of uselessness (a word?) is also somewhat a motivator. I hate being useless... And what counteracts uselessness? Being useful! I'm going to help my body, I'm going to help my mind, I'm going to help my heart. And that equals nourishing my body, to nourish my mind, to nourish my heart.
...I'm getting a real weird Power Rangers feeling at the moment... But you know how they can all "Unite" and become one? Well, I guess that's what I'm saying. I'm going to unite all the separate pieces of me, of Eleanor, and I am going to work them in sync. I'm going to
...I'm getting a real weird Power Rangers feeling at the moment... But you know how they can all "Unite" and become one? Well, I guess that's what I'm saying. I'm going to unite all the separate pieces of me, of Eleanor, and I am going to work them in sync. I'm going to
make me one again.
Real Power Rangers moment, there.
I think they call this an Epiphany. Or a half-epiphany. Oh well, anything will do for now!
Real Power Rangers moment, there.
I think they call this an Epiphany. Or a half-epiphany. Oh well, anything will do for now!
love, love, love.

19 comments:
Hey lovely :-)
Don't beat yourself up too much...days like these can be really useful learning experiences.
ED grabs hold of any change in routine or any hint of stress and it's difficult to shake off. Having at least some of your snack was a big success and a representation of you fighting back.
Days like these will happen, but you can learn so much from them if you go back and look at what might have been the triggers, how ED might have infiltrated you, and what strategies you could use to protect yourself next time. Looks as though you've already started to do that so well done you.
You've fought so hard and so bravely, but sometimes ED, being the conniving little devil that it is, finds cracks in your armour, but at the same time this helps you. It tells you where these cracks are, and then you can work out how to close the gaps.
Go Eleanor! You are a fabulous power ranger and will defeat the evil ED. Grrr :-)
Sarah x
Eleanor - I am so sorry that you are struggling so much right now but I am so touched by your honesty in this post!!!!! Just being able to voice your resentment of Ed and how much you despise it is so important in recovery!!!
Just think - today is a brand new day - a clean slate - forget about what happened yesterday - remember single steps on the road to recovery - bad days are bound to happen - i know you can do it - you are so strong and so much bigger than Ed!!
be that power ranger!!!!!
xoxo aimee
Eleanor :)
Once again.. your post leaves me with hope. No matter how much you struggle, or how close to tears you are, you manage to pull light out of the darkness. Upon reflection you have renewed your determination, motivation, and your will to carry on. The fact that the real Eleanor made herself present while you tried to 'make up' for what you missed out on just proves how far you have come, and how far you will go.
I admire you more than you will ever know. I would not be where I am today without your amazing support, and I honestly hope you realize how much your compassion touches the lives of everyone around you. You are one very special, beautiful, lady.
I can relate so well to wanting to cave in and let ED take over - sometimes it just takes too much energy to constantly be on gaurd and keep him at bay. Don't ever doubt how strong you are - you can do this.
<3 Tat
Ps.. congrats on spending time with the boy!
hey beautiful girlie! this post was amazing eleanor [: first of all, yay on the guy! second- everyone has bad days. ED always wants to make you skimp, and every once and a while, we listen to him! i know how strong that annoying voice can be. i have been there sooo many times. but we have to stay strong no matter what! because eleanor is the strong one, not ed. eleanor is the one who is determined to beat this nasty guy. eleanor is the one who is ready to move on! im so proud of you that you had 3 scoops in your drink instead of three, that shows how strong you really are. you know whats right for you. i really think you are fabuloouus because i know how much you want this out of your life and how hard you are trying [; have a great day sweetie! xoxo soph
PS: Derek Zoolander: Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking? :P
umm...zoolander is the best movie EVER :) @oats and chocolate :)
eleanor, girl BE PROUD of how far you have come...you recognize what ED is doing to you and that is straight up HARD. ED is holding on to you with its last grasps, and those are the hardest.
don't beat yourself up over a couple of loses to ED. you WILL have those days, it's all a part of recovery.
you may lose a couple of battles, eleanor, but you will win this war.
♥ lindsey
Aww Eleanor, although it doesnt seem like it to you there were quite a few positive things that shone through in this post.
I have been through the exact same experience as you did so I can understand how it makes you feel.
The important thing is you realised what was happened, its not as if it all just happened and you were oblivious or didnt care, you DO care. You took the extra step to make up for missing those snacks, that was such a brave thing to do. Im sure your ed screamed at you for doing it but the point is you did it!
Ok so you may have missed out compared to other days but we all have bad days, and as long as your back onto track now thats what matters, whats done is done so put it behind you and look forward.
You've realised the errors of your ways that day so next time you find yourself in this position just remember how you felt today and how you wished you had tried that different cereal, so next time really go for it.
I know you just wnt a break from this and want to have peace but while you are stuck within the grips on an ed, peace isnt possible.
What is possible is learning to listen to your voice over its and do what you know is the right things to do. You will get rid of this Eleanor and you will get better, your a bright young girl, believe in yourself.
Im sorry it was such a rough day but tomorrows a new day and a new page.
xox
Laura
Please stop being so inspiring, it is slowly changing my life :)
This fight is not for you, you will not battle this your entire life.
xxxx lloooovee
Eleanor sweetie!
first of all I am incredibly proud of you for adding that extra scoop, you stomped ed, not the other way around. This journey is difficult, it's hell, but you are doing it,, you are fighting! and you amaze me and inspire me and I love you dearly! Don't be ashamed of struggling, I am too really having a difficult time, but thats what its about, you shouldn't have to pretend to be in a place you aren't, and thats why i love you, you are so real! Keep up being ELEANOR, the amazing beautiful girl that you are. All my love!!
Amanda
Eleanor, I absolutely love the end of this post. Your "unite and become one" outlook is fantastic! Good job on adding the extra scoop to your supplement drink. Even a small triumph is still a triumph; each little step gets you further and further away from ED, especially when all the little steps are combined. ED is very big and strong for someone who enjoys making us so small and weak. You can do this, Eleanor! -Kylee
my dearest darlingest eleanor,
you have no reason to feel ashamed! we all have bad days and its all part of the journey! tomorrow is a brand new day and don't let the brunch scare you. the ideas of brunches are scary because they completely mess up schedules but you can do it! just plan out your day accordingly if you have to.
love you so much and please please please take it easy. you are amazing and beautiful and you don't deserve all these negative attacks you are giving to yourself! Go shove ED in a closet and eat what you want, you are beautiful no matter what.
love you,
becca
Eleanor,
I'm so happy that you had a wonderful night with this boy.
I know how strong you are, and I know that all you have to do is block ED out, there are moments when Elanor shows through... Be PROUD of those moments. I know it's easy to say :just don't let ED get into your head." I mean hello, that's where he resides. In our head. It's all in our head. Done out it is an outward appereance. All these problems we see with ourselves are just in our head!
Honey, do not be ashamed. We all have feel these feelings. these emotions. And I completly understand. You are fighting against ED. And for ed being so strong, it feels like you are fighting yourself. There is so much fear. So many emotions. I wish i could take this from you. From anyone dealing with these fears..
love you honey. i want to conquer this together.
haha love the power rangers moment. 2 horus in 48 hours? that's craziness, you need some sleep girl! hope you get some rest soon. i'm sorry it sounds like you've been struggling with your ED, being in the middle of good and evil is the hardest place to be!
eleanor, the most important thing here is that you realized that the day was shit with the ED! and deep down inside you know that the day would have been so much better if it would not have been there. i always used to be so afraid to talk back to the Ed but once i did i felt so free. i felt as if a huge wieght was taken of my shoulder. try it, talk, fight, scream back at it. tell him all the things he took from you and that you want it all back.! i know you can do it and with each time it gets easier and easier
xx
Hun, don't feel bad for expressing how you feel; it always helps to get it all out.
Battling with an ED is tough... but you have to battle hun... you have to put up a fight. Get pissed off. Scream. Bite. Throw punches.
Look at what ED has stolen from you... and what has it given back? Nothing but empty promises. No happiness. No safety. No peace. No life. Nothing.
It's hard to go against ED thoughts at first, but the more you fight, the more liberated you feel, and the easier it becomes.
Be strong, hun... You're in my thoughts <3
You know what, Eleanor, these kind of days happen. Being away from routine is so, so hard and scary. But you've actually turned this into a learning experience for you. You recognize what happened. And next time you'll be able to plan around it and to try and make sure it doesn't happen again. Don't beat yourself up about this. Recovery isn't perfect--you'll have slip-ups along the way. But that doesn't mean that you can't learn from them and that you won't get past this ED in the end. You have a lot of strength and determination and you've come a long way. You have a lot to be proud of and I know you'll have even more to be proud of in the future.
xoxo
Hi Eleanor!
Thank-you for leaving a comment on my blog a few weeks back. (Sorry for not replying... I'm a bit of a lazy arse on that front...) I really, really appreciate it. :)
Although I'm not very experienced with EDs/disordered eating (my ED, was short lived, and I'm still unsure as to whether it actually was an ED.) I praise you for fighting back. We all have our off days, and don't beat your self up about it. You've come so far. During these last stages, you just have to, with all your might, resist those urges, give ED a good ol' kick up the backside and tell it to GET LOST! Do the opposite of everything it tells you. I know it's harder said than done, but Eleanor, you're amazing. You CAN do it.
Xoxo
There's no need to apologize for your honestly. In fact, I'm inspired by that you can be so open about your struggles and urges, as ED likes to keep these "shameful" things a secret. And I've heard the phrase "You are only as sick as your secrets," enough times that it's tattooed in my brain. ;) I'm so honored and touched that you feel comfortable enough to be vulnerable and share these feelings on your blog.
Don't get mad at Eleanor, get mad at ED. Then take that rage, ball it up and throw it in his face. Every day is a new chance to turn everything around, to make a choice to keep on fighting.
Love the power rangers metaphor. I'm right there next to you fighting every monster on the planet, not just the big bad meanie mr. ed. Which color are you? I don't really care as long as I get to do backflips and ninja chops. ;)
Rachael*
Even though you missed out on some things, I'm so glad that you had the common sense, and the strength to get back on track :)
So proud of you lovely <3
And ooooooohhh boy crush (insert silly girly noise here)
:P
Post a Comment