My heart is in a flutter and my stomach is doing flips. My insides are, in a word, doing gymnastics. Fluttering hearts are usually caused by a special someone, you know, the one you get goo-goo-eyed over, the one who makes you weak at the knees, the one that's on your mind more often than is deemed normal. Same goes for the tummy butterflies.
Yes, that is partly why my organs are dancing. I'm being visited in less than an hour by a boy who has my heart, but unfortunately
1) is too stupid to realize that and
2) considers me a "best mate".
Oh, and 3) probably wouldn't be a good idea for me to "be" with him, anyway.
I need someone who has half a brain, let's just say.
Oh, and 3) probably wouldn't be a good idea for me to "be" with him, anyway.
I need someone who has half a brain, let's just say.
Anyway. That is partly the reason for my heart in my throat and my stomach in my chest. (Imagine that... Wait, no, please don't.) The other reasons are not so ooey-gooey.
Next week, on the 1st of February, my life changes. A whole new lifestyle, a whole new environment, a whole new world, in a sense. The 1st of February is my first day as a Year 11 student, and to say the least, I am freaking out of my mind. The concept of "new", "change", "different". It terrifies me. I don't want to change, I don't want anything new, I don't want different. I like this consistency I've built up. I want to stay the same, where I'm comfortable. Comfort doesn't come into the equation, unfortunately. I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for the work-load, the stress, the anxiety, the exams, the expectations. And in trying to prepare myself for that, I'm becoming even more terrified and more unprepared that ever. Everyone: my parents, my teachers (from last year), my friends, my Dietician and Therapist all think I'll benefit from it so much, and that I'll be fine. It's a shame I'm not on the same wave length, because I believe the total opposite.
Rationally I know that if all I do is think negatively about my school year, the outcome will be negative. But that's the thing; rationality has deserted me for the moment and irrational thoughts have taken up residence in my head.
I'm going to be surrounded by so many people that I don't know. What am I going to say to them? What are they going to think of me? I get the feeling I'm going to be picked apart. That I have to be a certain person to fit the criteria of what's deemed "acceptable" and what's "not acceptable". I want to fit in, but the only way I'll be able to fit in, in ED's books, is if I'm skinny. The only way I'll ever get anywhere in life is if I'm skinny enough. What even is skinny enough!?
= Social isolation has caused me to crawl in on myself.
= Social isolation has caused me to crawl in on myself.
At school, my days start at 9am and wind up at 3:35pm. That means Morning Snack and Lunch are in my hands. It's down to me whether I eat them or not. Having that burden over my head is weighing me down so much that my nose is almost scraping the ground. ED's voice is squashing my face flat. "Don't eat, don't eat, don't eat. No one will know! You don't need it! You'll get fat. People will think you're fat! Dirty! Disgusting!" It's taking all of my energy to drive those thoughts out of my head - the expectation being put on me is huge, and I want to be able to do it, I want to be able to trust myself to get through my day without throwing out food and lying to my parents. In lying to my parents I'm lying to myself. Cheating myself. I need to be able to trust myself. I can't afford not to. How do I expect to get anywhere in life when I can't trust myself?
And that's a whole 'nother problem. Life. Where is my life going? Where am I being lead? Where am I leading myself?
I have absolutely no idea what direction I want to take. I have so many interests that I wind up with absolutely no clue in what I'm really passionate about. I could do this or I could do that or I could do this and that... Confusion, anxiety, uncertainty and an unimaginable amount of stress is cramming itself against the walls of my brain, and I'm afraid of what will happen when it all gets too much.
I know school is going to be stressful. I know I'm going to be overwhelmed. And I know that I've got help from so many people. But I keep questioning how exactly I'm going to cope with it, regardless of all the help and support I'll have. The uncertainty is what is killing me most of all. All of this knowing is useless because I just don't know what's going to happen. I need to know, I need it to feel secure. Without consistency I can't function, and this year is going to be anything but consistent.
And on top of all of this, ED is woven itself into the tapestry that is and will be my life.
And on top of all of this, ED is woven itself into the tapestry that is and will be my life.
My greatest fear is that, under all of this pressure, stress and anxiety, I'll relapse.
I'm trying, so damn hard, to keep that thought out of my head. "It's not going to happen", I keep telling myself. But there's the "what if, what if, what if..." whispered softly into my ear, constantly. I can’t get rid of it. It’s the mark of ED, and I know this. I also know that the only way to get rid of these thoughts is to prove them wrong. But again, the what if’s play their soft little tune and I’m lulled into a waking nightmare, one that I can’t escape from.
I cannot stand being so negative, but I've worked myself up into this tight little ball of anxiety and my will to move forward is dwindling. I've almost reached the point of wanting to just curl up into my box and be comforted by what I know, and is safe.
But Eleanor knows that that lifestyle isn't safe. The only way I'll ever be confident and sure of myself is if I crush that box. I can't afford to lose more of my life to ED. I've got so much ahead of me, so much. I don't want to waste my life on something that only hurts me.
But Eleanor knows that that lifestyle isn't safe. The only way I'll ever be confident and sure of myself is if I crush that box. I can't afford to lose more of my life to ED. I've got so much ahead of me, so much. I don't want to waste my life on something that only hurts me.
I'm sorry to be so down at the moment, my beautiful girls.
It's you that get me through my days, you know? Your support, your kind, heartfelt words. I've never felt anything as strong and powerful as this, and without you... Well, I don't want to think about that.
It's you that get me through my days, you know? Your support, your kind, heartfelt words. I've never felt anything as strong and powerful as this, and without you... Well, I don't want to think about that.
You give me confidence, when I lack it. I can't thank you all enough for the love, life and spirit you've brought into my life.
Our path is a long one, but it doesn't have to be a lonely one.
Let's walk it together.
Let's walk it together.
love, love, love.
17 comments:
ugh...school. returning to school was so hard for me. i had gained a good 15 pounds over the summer, so i was so scared what people were going to say to be and what they were saying about me. yeah, i had people make comments, and yes i did compare myself to people. but at some point, you realize how different everyone else is. and they are all flawed as well, but they don't seem to feel so insecure about it. they embrace their bodies. i was jealous of those people who bought chips and soda from the school everyday and didn't even think twice about it. i looked up to them. eventually, i got better. every day got easier. it takes time, love, and i wish you the best of luck.
and best of luck with the boy, as well ;)
and i don't know why i'm up right now! it's 1 in the morning here :)
♥ lindsey
Okay, a few things...
1.) Good luck with your boy, if he's smart (which, from the way you descirbed it...haha) he'd ask you to be more than just good friends.
2.) All of these things are completly normal to feel, the most important thing though, is that you don;t feel isolated. Do. not. THe minute you feel alone is when it all comes crashing down. Find someone you can confide with, call, talk to about everything (or nothing at all). Who knows, maybe this boy is the one!
3.) Good luck with school
4.) I know how hard it is to take matters into your own hands, now that I'm in college I am responsible for the things I put into my body. What hurts me is knowing that my parents are 300 miles away just praying that I'm taking care of myself, and when I come home and they see that I'm not (and you best believe they can tell) I know it hurts them more than anything.
5.) Eleanor, I am ALWAYS here for you
I have faith and confidence in you.
Change is always new and scary, but it is really good for us, and helps us to develop.
School will give you an excellent chance to test all the skills you have so far developed in recovery.
I remember the first time I went to college on my own during recovery, and yes it is tempting to return to old habits, but with great vigilance and careful planning you can keep up the good work, and sufficient nourishment gives you strength to face anything the day may throw at you. Each day will become successively easier with practice.
All you need is a good battle plan ;) Be aware of warning signs and triggers so that you can notice and deal with them before they become destructive. I also made a list of people who I could ring, I brought a good luck card from a friend to inspire me, and it might be good to write down why going back to school is good and why recovery is good.
It is perfectly natural to be anxious, but do not let ED latch onto this. There are lots more positive things about to happen in your life, and school will bring many of them. This is an exciting time for you.
You can do it!
Sarah x
We will be both taking the leap together my dear into a new year, year 11 and into what is different, but soon enough it will be what is "normal" but in the mean time, you just need to stay strong, treat yourself well and make the best of it, its a new experience, and we are blessed to be able to have it (even though i am not sure about it)
Life is beautiful you need to live every little piece of it that ed still is trying to snatch away from you, you are AMAZING and i belive in you.
Big hugs
Love Jessica
eleanor[: hello beautiful- dont worry about the boy situation, you are amazing and he will see that soon enough and realize what hes missing out on. i know how ed can be, telling you that your done and that you need to listen to him, but you are sooo much stronger than him! i know that you wont relapse and you will keep running towards health and when you get there you will see that life is so incredibly beautiful and everyone around you will embrace YOU not your ed. school will be great, you can do it on your own and i know it. just keep thinking positive and the rest will follow after. im so proud of you sweetie! your words are so gorgeous and you are a true, amazing fighter!
love you xox
soph
oh boys they're so silly, they never know what in the world is going on. wish i could help more, but i've never quite had my way with the boys as of yet.
as for school, its going to be tough, you know that. i know you can handle it. i know its hard to trust yourself, but you are strong. you know what's right. you can do this.
happy friday beautiful!
xoxo
Eleanor!
My dear these negative thoughts are so incredibly understandable... situations of uncertainty and change can cause anyone to shake in their boots. You are only human my dear (... a beautiful one at that!) and the only thing that matters is how you deal with these issues.
This is a challenge, my dear! ED is using the impending chaos as a way to stall your recovery. In the past this may have worked. However, you are stronger now than ever before and as long as you hold onto that strength, you will surprise yourself beyond belief. You are scared of relapsing, but you also recognize the fact that it simply isn't an option. Everything is different now - When it comes to ED and his nasty little tricks, you will be ready to tackle him with full force. You are better than your eating disorder, and despite the commotion of the world around you, you are going to prove to yourself just how strong you truly are.
You are beautiful and we all love you just the way you are =D
xox
Tat
Hey Eleanor--first of all that boy will be lucky to have you!
And school. Look at it this way--this is a step toward a new chapter in your life. Yes, it's scary (I too hate change with a vengeance) but it also might hold wonderful things for you!
Do you have anyone who could help you put some kind of plan in place so that you can make sure you are eating at school and don't relapse. I know for me eating without having someone holding me accountable was one of the hardest things to do.
Eleanor, I completely understand where you're coming from, hun. Fear of the unknown and uncertain is definitely a scary thing... but it's all ED. It's ED trying to convince us that life "out there" is scarier than the one that he offers.... because he knows that as soon as we start enjoying life again, we'll be less inclined to hold on to him... and he's scared to lose that control, so he manipulates our fears so that he can keep it.
It won't be as bad as you think, love... it never is. We have this tendency to turn everything into an instant catastrophe and expect the worst. But you'll get through it, just like you've gotten through all the previous years of school. So chin up, and kick some ass ;)
PS - Good luck with your boy! <3
Great post. I can really relate to the whole new school year thing. I felt the same way when I started my new school year in January. But I'm getting use to it,and I'm sure you will too. As long as you have confidence and not let any irrelevant things people say get into your head that much,that it'll be okay ;)
Wow,your school starts at 9+ and ends around 3. Mine starts at 7+ and ends at 2+ ..
Good luck with the boy! You have a lovely blog by the way :)
Good luck with the boy, although the situation sounds a little overly similar to the relationship between my ex and I, but you never know!
Maybe the change in scenery will be a good thing? Change is scary and I've personally never been one to adjust well but sometimes it can be really refreshing to have the opportunity to start things new. Don't let ED tell you that you won't fit in; you are beautiful and smart and have so much to offer (: You deserve to feel confident and sure of yourself 24/7. I have faith in you, Eleanor. I will definitely keep you in my prayers. -Kylee
Hello my beautiful girl! Oh how I have missed reading your perfect words.
I share so many of the feelings you have right now about starting this new chapter in your life. Change, growing up, responsibility... they are all things that send ED kicking and screaming. But remember one thing my love - you have MORE than enough strength to do this. Yes it will be hard, and it could be the perfect excuse for ED to take charge, but you have the power to stay strong. Enjoy these last few moments at school because they go so fast (yes I know I sound like a grandma!) and you are too precious to live a life of regrets.
Love you loads Eleanor. And thank you for your wonderful support <3
Hannah xo
Eleanor - what a heartfelt post - i totally admire our honesty!!!! Trust me - I know you are going to do great at school - I too hate change but remember how much Ed takes from our lives- i know you are going to do great- you are such a strong individual who is capable of ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!! i believe in you!!!
lots of love - aimee
Sadly I can relate all too well to the "best mate" who is oblivious to your heart aflutter-ness. I wish I had some advice to offer, but all I can say is that this boy is clearly crazy to not see what he's missing out on. And a crazy boyfriend probably wouldn't be idea at this time. ;)
Change and new situations are terrifying, but even more so when ED is involved. Yes maybe in the past you would have taken those "opportunities" ED so kindly is reminding you of to restrict when you are not under supervision, and maybe you would have in the past. But that was then and this is now. You've grown a lot and have the courage, strength and wisdom to take this on. You're not alone. I'll be with you (at least in the technology sense!) every step of the way.
Rachael*
Aww sometimes boys are so silly to realise you like them that way, perhaps a little love interest could be what you need, a little something to distract you from your ed?
I know going back to school is a terrifying thought. Eds like consistency and routine. I know with my ed I have become stuck in a routine and hate change. This is all ed and its because if things stay the same you know exactly what will happen, you wont have to worry about what ifs etc.
Normal life doesnt work like that though, normal life throws at us little unexpectancys and we need to learn to deal with them.
Eleanor change wont hurt you, its the thought of it that is the worst part. Its like when you go to the pool and your dreading getting in because its going to be so cold but once you jump in you realise its not that bad after all!
If you go to school with the right mindset you will excel at whatever you put your mind to. This is your chance to start a new year as a new you, a beautiful young girl who is ready to embrace all life has to give. Take your chance when its coming to you, you can turn your life around for the better.
<3
xox
Laura
so many conundrums in this post, i'm sorry you're facing so much right now! boy troubles, eeks! and school..i feel ya. but your'e right, our path is a long one but it doesn't have to be lonely :)
you will make it my dear, you are strong and wonderful, and beautiful, and i know you can do it!!
you are in the same position as me at the moment, i think. ed is normalcy, safety, and we are hesitant to let that go, but in order to become who we want to be, we need to. <3 love you so much.
Post a Comment