Friday, January 29, 2010

Words mean things.

Words, words, words.
Sometimes they come freely, other times they don't. Usually when I need them most, they manage to find a nice little hidey-hole inside my head and refuse to come out. They also shy away when I try to say how thankful I am to have such amazing people in my life.
Thank-you's are the hardest things of all to say, after goodbye's. I cannot, and will not ever be able to express my appreciation for the kindness and support you have all shown me. Waking up in the morning to an inbox full of heart-warming messages has the ability to set the mood for the day. Whenever I feel like my confidence, happiness and positivity is slipping, I turn to your words.
It is utterly incredible how much a few written sentences has the power to turn a tearful sob into a tearful smile. Without you girls, I dread to think and refuse to think of where I would be.
Alright, enough of the sappy Eleanor!

What is also utterly incredible is how an appointment has the power to turn a weekend into a nightmare. Tomorrow is Saturday. And Saturday is Dietitian DoomsDay. This week has been crazy in the lead up to school, and knowing that the Saturday before school returns is the day I have to step on the scales, well... It doesn't "set the right mood" for the weekend, if you know what I mean. The word relaxation doesn't come to mind. Way to end a week-end.
Ah, crap. I'm being cynical. When I'm in a bad mood my sarcasm takes centre stage. My sacrastic words have the ability to make walls crumble and hearts break... And tearducts weep.

As always, the days preceding my Dietitian appointment are full of anxiety. My eating gets thrown around - recently I've been cutting out foods, then trying to make up for them later on, then feeling bad about it, then freaking out because I think I ate too much, then cutting out later... A cycle, and a vicious one. I hate having to be weighed, and that number dictating in which direction my life goes. I want it to be up, so that nothing else is added to my meal plan, but I dont want to be up, because that feeling of "fat" is just overwhelming. Rational Eleanor is trying to sooth the Panicked Eleanor. The ED-Eleanor is trying to disrupt the Rational-Eleanor and abusing the Eleanor Eleanor. There are too many people in my head, when there should be just one.
I'm sick and tired of having these voices shouting at me, and I'm sick and tired of fighting with myself. I'm also sick and tired of the pressure and expectation being put on me to "just gain weight" and to "just get better". If it was that easy, I wouldn't be in this situation!

I don't really know where my words are taking me right now. My head is full of everything at the moment and sorting it out would take too long. So, I will leave you with a bit of an email I recieved from a friend of mine that I met on my stay in hospital. It really put me in a positive frame of mind.

We don't deserve to be miserable! We deserve to eat wonferful food without a voice telling us that we are fat or that we have to exercise now to work it off, because we "don't deserve it". We should appreciate what we have of life because we never know when our time will be up. Why let an illness kill us when we can prevent it? Yes, it is a hard and long process, but we will get there! We will be happy and healthy!
We can support each other, but in the end it is down to us, individually, to kick its ass!
Nobody, nobody deserves to live like this, so let's beat this.
Together we will STAND TALL and say "WE BEAT ANOREXIA".

Dietitian DoomsDay tomorrow. But what happens, happens, and I can only move onward and upward from there.

Let's stand tall, let's fight. Let's beat anorexia.


love, love, love.

16 comments:

Walking thru Sunflowers said...

Good morning Eleanor - im so sorry you are struggling right now and dreading tomorrow - i too dread getting weighed - i understand your frustration - part of you wants to see the scale go up but the other part of you - the NASTY ED parat of you makes you feel awful - what gets me thru is that I make a list of all that Ed has taken from my life and how much better my life would be if i were truly Ed free!!!
i hope this helps!!!! Stay strong - i know we can beat this together - remember baby steps!!!
xoxo aimee

Anonymous said...

Oh Eleanor!
I can relate so well to being absolutely sick and tired of the voices.. You have so much going on in your life right now, and it seems like these are the times when it is easy for us to fall victim to ED's traps. His voice gets a little louder, and a little more irritating while our own true voice gets clouded and quiet.
This week I have been doing similar things with my meals as well - I have been cutting back on certain things and then trying to add them in later. This results in complete chaos, and I panic that I either added too much didn't add enough.

Good luck at the dietitians - just remember that we are all love you no matter what. ED? He will never be proud of you, he will never truly love you, so skrew him and all of his hurtful words because he simply isn't worth it :)

Come Monday morning you will have deserved some type of metal - like soldiers get when they come back from the war. You are beautifully brave and I know you will get through this hectic weekend! We are all thinking of you, to the end of the earth and back again.

<3
I love you to pieces!
Tat

mariposai said...

First of all thank YOU for YOUR words...you write beautifully and I always treasure your comments.

Secondly, the appointment itself does not have the power to ruin your weekend, that is ED's job, and you can take that power away from it, by surrounding yourself with words of reason. Empty all those nasty words and thoughts from your head in any way possible (I found it helped to write them down, I also used to draw doodles of how I was feeling bizarrely enough!).

Surround yourself with as many positive things as possible this weekend - do something nice for yourself, spend time with people...read inspirational quotes..it will all help diminish the power of the ED to use your appointment against you. But the best way of all to break it's hold on you is, as I'm sure you know, to stick with the plan and eat what your body needs.

Please look after yourself lovely, and remember this...you are worth more than just a number on a scale.

Sarah x

Krystyna said...

Dear Eleanor, thank you for the delightfully insightful message you left me on my blog. I have seen your comments around this wonderful community and I am always stunned at how intelligent and softspoken you are, beautiful soul. I am honoured to be a confidante of yours, and will always be here, if you need to talk. Through the words you left me, you allowed me to open my blind eyes and see the situation from an objective perspective, which I've realised is much needed should I make a rational decision about what happens next.

I as well feel the same gratitude for this community of inspiring girls. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly these souls are in reaching out to us and connecting instantaneously. The depth of human kindness is extraordinary and standing bare before my eyes, and I can proudly say that the people in my life have pushed me forward past limits and into territories I would not have exceeded had I been on my own.

Best of luck at the dietician's...I know the frustration of those appointments. Mental and physical recovery go hand in hand, but I cannot help but feel that getting weighed so constantly is a bit deferring in terms of beating this anorexic mindset. Whether the scale goes up, down, or stays the same, remember you are not worth a silly number, you are so much more than that; intelligent, incredibly kind, thoughtful, inspiring. I could list all the positive impressions I have of you from the very first encounter! Hopefully you will be able to believe me, as I know the split personality anorexia creates (those two separate voices, as you've said) can often create the illusion that people's best intentions are in fact superficial and unrealistic.

Lots of love to you, Eleanor!
Krystyna

Becca said...

"Words, words, words." Hamlet, Shakespeare. The line refers to empty words, words that mean nothing. Your words NEVER mean nothing, and even the short, choppy sentences composed of fragmented words hold such deep meaning in your posts. You are so beautiful and intelligent and deserve our words, which are not empty, but filled with love and support.
baby i can relate to this post some much. the fear of weight gain but the desire for it to be up so it can just be over. it's so tough to be in this position but i KNOW you have the strength to pull through. you are stronger and wiser than anyone i know and i love you so much and know you can beat this.

lindsey said...

eleanor, this is beautiful, and so are you. you will do wonderful tomorrow, stay strong girl!

♥ lindsey

Anonymous said...

hello my gorgeous eleanorr - this post blew me away. you are so strong & beautiful, inside and out. you always have to remember that you are soo much better then that nasty little voice, because your right no one deserves to live like this! beating this is a struggle but i know for sure you can do it. and dont worry about the dietician tomorrow! you will be fine i promise, and im right behind you the whole way. everyone loves you so much and is always here for you amazing girl. have a WONDERFUL friday xoxo soph

Kylee said...

Honestly, the e-mail from your friend says it all. Good luck tomorrow, Eleanor (: You are so strong and beautiful and intelligent, no matter what comes of tomorrow. -Kylee

Ruby Converse and Curls said...

Eleanor thank YOU! Your words are so powerful, whether in the form of a caring comment that helps me more than you could possibly imagine or a heartbreakingly honest and raw post like this one. Ah but now I'm the one being sappy. ;)
I totally understand what you mean about dreading getting weighed. My appointments are on Tuesday, and I seriously start getting anxious about the next week as soon as I finish the session and walk out of the door. Ugh and the voices are crazy making. But think of this: By following ED's commands are you really saving yourself from them? I know for me the voices never go away, regardless of whether or not I do what ED wants. So I'm trying to work up the courage to defy what ED says. Yes, the voices will probably scream even louder, but it's the only hope we have to possibly experience some peace and quiet if we push through to the other side. You have an amazing friend, so wise. And she's so lucky to have gotten to be with you, even if the circumstances were less than ideal!

Rachael*

Ruby Converse and Curls said...

Jesus, sorry that my comment was like a poorly written novel!

Anonymous said...

I agree with you that this has got to be the BEST community ever. My life has been supported by all of you wonderful girls cheering me on, so I totally get how you're feeling, Eleanor! (No worries, sappy is okay;) )

I do hope that you can calm down about the weighing! Hypocritical coming from me, but it's just a number--don't let it ruin your week, sweetie!

Take care xoxo

daintyvegan said...

You have a beautiful way of writing and expressing yourself. In fact, I believe that you have too much beauty and talent inside of you to let ED run your life and rule your thoughts.

Instead of making the dietitian appointment something that YOU hate, make it something that ED hates. Just by going you're telling ED to go screw itself, even if the number on the scale isn't an optimal one.

Your friend is right: you WILL be happy and healthy. One day, obviously not overnight, but one day, you will beat anorexia.

Just keep taking the steps. They all count towards recovery, no matter how small they may seem.

Emily said...

Don't let the number dictate who you are and the way that you feel! You are so much more than that number, Eleanor.

I wish you the best of luck :)

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Eleanor, hun, we all love you to bits... you don't need to thank us. I'm thankful that you're sharing your journey and your wise insights with us.

I, too, wish all the voices in my head would meld into one, but I'm not too sure how realistic such an expectation is... I think the negative voices will always be there to some extent. We need to identify our own voice among the many, and work on strengthening it so it becomes louder than the rest.

I hope your dietician appointment went well, love. No matter what the outcome, remember that we love you and we're here to support you.

<3

Ruby Converse and Curls said...

I know I already commented, but I wanted to let you know you've been in my thoughts today. I hope the dietician appointment and weight in went well. I don't know if such a thing is possible (good weigh in? sounds like a contradiction ;) ) but I hope you're okay.

Rachael*

Anonymous said...

"dietitian doomsday" LOL. ok that's not really a funny topic but you ARE good with your words so it's funny anyway :). being cynical and sarcastic isn't always a bad thing, i've actually found that cynical people aren't less happy than others, they just have a sharper wit!