Remember when you were a kid, and you were convinced that there was a monster living under your bed? And no matter how many times your mum or dad looked under your bed and said "See? No monster here!" you sincerely believed you could hear it, and almost feel it lurking, waiting for a limb to dangle down past the safety of the matress to grab hold of you and pull you under. That monster kept you awake at night, because you feared that if you fell asleep, or if you dared peek out from under your blankets, it would eat you. But to save yourself, you ran to your parents bedroom and hid in the comfort of their bed. You were protected. You could run from that monster, and it couldn't follow you.
I have my very own monster. But not the monster that lives under your bed. My very own monster lives inside my head. Unlike when I was young and could run away, this monster follows me. Day and night, it's always there. Following me, haunting me, scaring me, hurting me.
I wish my monster lived under my bed, so I could run away and hide from its evil. My monster knows all my thoughts, all my fears, all my feelings. My monster envelopes my every thought.
I have my very own monster. But not the monster that lives under your bed. My very own monster lives inside my head. Unlike when I was young and could run away, this monster follows me. Day and night, it's always there. Following me, haunting me, scaring me, hurting me.
I wish my monster lived under my bed, so I could run away and hide from its evil. My monster knows all my thoughts, all my fears, all my feelings. My monster envelopes my every thought.
This monster, it lurks in the back of my mind,
waiting for an opportune moment to grab me and pull me under.
Just like the bed-monster waiting for a stray limb.
My monster, however, doesn't go away.
My monster is with me, every day.
I can't run, I can't hide, I can't turn on a light,
It's with me, always, every day and every night.
waiting for an opportune moment to grab me and pull me under.
Just like the bed-monster waiting for a stray limb.
My monster, however, doesn't go away.
My monster is with me, every day.
I can't run, I can't hide, I can't turn on a light,
It's with me, always, every day and every night.
My mind's been all over the place lately. The holidays are here now, and I've found myself at a loss for what to do. I feel like I don't have any purpose, almost like I have no reason or nothing to get up for in the morning. I wake up dreading the day ahead of me. I know that when I get out of bed, my breakfast is waiting for me. I'm still scared of food, and I know that's not rational. A fear of food? What kind of lunatic is afraid of food? I'm absolutely terrified of my dietitian appointment on Saturday morning, and that's a full 3 days away. After that, I don't see her for at least a month over the Christmas break... I'm scared that she's going to keep me on the same meal plan and that when I get weighed next I'm going to be at a huge weight.
Fears. Scared. Weight. Food. Fat. Sizes. Numbers.
Such... Trivial things, such unimportant things. And that's what's swamping my mind.
Fears. Scared. Weight. Food. Fat. Sizes. Numbers.
Such... Trivial things, such unimportant things. And that's what's swamping my mind.
I feel like my parents are doing the recovery for me, and I'm just being dragged along on a rope behind them. My heart isn't in it. ED keeps telling me I don'tneed to get better or don't deserve to get better. That I'm not even sick enough to have to get better. It's really just too much.
I cannot tell you how sorry I am for being such a downer! I really want to turn this all around, and start seeing it in a new light, a positive light. Instead of this horrible "you'll get fat" blasphemy ED's been pulling on me for the past year.
Hopefully things start to turn around soon enough.
I know I have to take each day as it comes. There's no point in worrying about tomorrow when I still have to get through today. One small step after the other. No giant leaps.
When I get my head around things, my posts will start making more sense, I promise! I've been reading your blogs every day, and they've really helped me come to terms with everything. I just need to come to terms with myself and my situation. Thank you, all of you, for the amazing support and kind words. They help me get through my days. They scare away my monster.
Love, love, love.
9 comments:
I understand this so much!
Recently I was trying to explain my fears to someone and I was like 'it's the fear of fat' and they were like 'so you hate fat people?' and I'm like "NO! not at all, some of the most beautiful people I know are big, it's more of a control thing" and it's hard to explain.
Love ya girly
xxxx
You are so amazing Eleanor! Even though you are feeling down and helpless, your efforts to pick yourself up do not go unnoticed. I admire your ambition - even though you don't know how to get there, you want to get better. And that, my friend, is half the battle :)
Keep faith in the fact that things will turn around.. You will hear your own voice again, and it will make you a stronger person than you ever thought possible.
I love this post because I can relate to every single word. It is so easy to lose sight of what is important in life. You are gorgeous on the inside and out, and no number will ever change that.
xox
Tat
Darling,
I, like many other beautiful souls, feel your pains, fears, worries and doubts. For the past few weeks I've felt like a puppet dangling from strings controlled by my family and team of doctors. So much pressure with such lack of control.
However, don't let ED win. There is no looking back. Because you know if you go backwards, you'll only make the same mistakes over and over again. You might hate the road your on, but keep going. You might be surprised inthe end.
I'm here if you ever want to talk.
bec xo
oh honey i hate that you are feeling this pain, i understand it. waking up each day wanting it just to go away.
but you just have to trust. i know it sounds ridiculous, how can you be sure things are going to be okay? but they are, things will always be okay, they may not be as expected or as we hoped for them but they will be okay.
don't let Ed tell you that you aren't in this, because you are.
keep taking each day as it is. face it and try to kick Ed's ass.
a few things i like to do when i feel this way are to take a shower, or a bath (long ones) or to read something interesting, and yoga. even big deep yoga breaths help.
thinking of you dear, hope today is better :)
xoxo
You don't get holidays and time spent with your loved ones back. You can't rewind and do it all over! Take these holidays in stride. See them as a challenge, where in the end, you are defeating this monster inside your head. YOU will earn victory. YOU will have power over your thoughts and what you believe. YOU are beautiful, amazing, and strong. YOU are an inspiration to so many more people than you know. Please keep fighting in face of ED and listen to your gut instinct telling you to do the RIGHT thing.
I love this comparison to a monster under your bed...it fits this situation perfectly.
hang in there my love!
xoxo
I know that feeling, but my monster has always been my mom. She is very real.
I'm sorry things are difficult right now. I know that monster and it's awful. Holidays are always hard. I try and focus on holiday stuff such as decorating, sorting out other people's presents and remember the meaning of christmas rather than think about the food. I know that's probably not helpful but it makes things a little easier.
I really hope things get a little easier for you.
A
xxxx
Each of your posts brings me so much joy and inspiration Eleanor. You are fabulous (and so is your writing!)
Don't apologise for being "down" - this is your space to write whatever is on that beautiful mind of yours. You may not feel it right now, but you are an incredibly strong girl, and have the courage and determination to get through this. That monster deserves no place in your life!
So much love <3
HannahBanana xo
Although I'm a brand spankin' new blogger I've been reading your blog for a while and find you so inspiring, even when you're really struggling. Don't worry about your posts making more sense.. If I could articulate what's going on in my head a QUARTER as well as you do I'd be pretty pleased with myself. In the meantime I suppose I'll just read your posts, since I can relate so much that it's almost as though I'm reading my own thoughts... just organized and phrased much better ;)
Rachael*
Post a Comment