Thursday, February 11, 2010

Like ripping off a band-aid.

I just "woke up" from taking a much-needed "nap". I put these in quotation marks because I didn't actually wake up because I was never actually asleep. I am not feeling my best at the moment - I came home from school early today because I just couldn't be there. My head was throbbing, I was on the verge of tears all day, I felt like I wanted to disappear. I still feel like I want to disappear.

I wish I was in a better mood. I wish I was in a better place. I wish I could truly grasp onto this amazing thing called "life".
This path, leading to a place full of the most beautiful things,  where smiling isn't frowned upon and laughter is encouraged; where loving is the fuel that keeps the world turning; where feeling happiness is the only feeling felt; where thinking is free and speaking your mind isn't feared; where I can be without pretending, smile without forcing it, accept myself, love myself.

I want to be in that place. But I don't want to have to get there first.
I want to take a hold of the hand being held out for me, instead of avoiding it in fear of it damaging my sense of independence. I want to accept that help, that warm and strong hand, and allow it to lead me along that path to what's called life. But I'm also scared of that help, because it's taking me away from what I know.
The strong part of me tells me that what I know is what's hurting me. What I'm comfortable with is stopping me from happiness. The place I'm in now is a prison, I'm walled in, stuck, alone, neglected.


It's harder for a wound to heal if you don't treat it first. It might close up, but it will leave an ugly scar. Or it might become infected and become more troublesome than it origionally was.
I need to treat my wound if I want it to go away. Yes, the initial treatment is going to hurt, it's going to sting, I'm probably going to cry out in pain and wish I hadn't gone through with it. But after that initial hurt, my wound will start to heal. The pain will dull, the sting will subside, the tears will dry up and eventually, I'll end up blemish/scar/wound free. Who wants an ugly scar? Who wants an infected wound, that could simply have been avoided? Not many, not most.
That's what Anorexia is. It's an open wound, and the longer it's left to fester, the worse it will get and the harder it will be to heal. Accepting treatment might come at a cost, but that's only temporary. I think, deep down, it's worth the initial pain, instead of suffering a long-lasting, possibly never-fully-healed wound. It's worth that initial pain, it is. The more I tell myself, the more easily I'll believe it.
I need this treatment. I need this help. I need guidance, mediation, support, a warm and strong hand to hold on to.

 
I'm sick of this bony, cold, hard hand that's been latched onto mine for however long it's been. I'm sick of this soulless creature trying to suck away mine. I'm sick of my heart being pulled to pieces and coloured black and blue. I'm sick of being void of energy and ability to do the things I want&need to do. I am sick of being sick.
I can't stand hating myself, wishing I was the skin and bones of a ghost of a girl. That thought sickens me above all else - that I wish to be sick, look sick, feel sick. This doesn't make me special. It makes me lifeless.
I know that I am capable of so much and with this overpowering illness, poisoning my mind and thoughts and taking away my better judgement and my rationality, I am never going to be the person I know I'm capable of being.


I could keep writing word after word after word, in the hope that somehow I'll write myself into an epiphany and leave this shell of a life behind me, but I know that won't happen. This comes from within, and for it to actually do anything I have to take that offered hand and be helped along this path. At the end of that path, my future waits. But until I get there, I have no future. No future worth having, anyway.

I hope this isn't going to cause any of you beautiful girls to think the worse of me. I'm trying, and I know that some days are going to be much harder than others. I'm just having a hard time right now. But you girls help me through. You girls get me by. I don't know where I'd be without you and I don't want to even begin to think about that place. Because I've got you, and that's what matters.

I need to let go of what I've been holding onto, and take a hold of what I know will set me free.

love, love, love.

9 comments:

mariposai said...

Wow that was vivid...especially your description of that bony hand.

Believe me, even such talented writers as you cannot write themselves into an epiphany. No one can. This comes from deep within you, and it takes time.

This is how I see it, the bony hand of ED is still close enough to offer comfort, whilst the healthy hand of recovery seems far enough away to be more risky to take. What if you don't reach it in time? What if you stumble and it leaves without you? These are the doubts that ED creates to keep you clinging onto it's spidery grip.

I am worried that you are not getting the support you need to make this transition back to school. Are you able to fully focus on recovery whilst also focusing on attending school? I'm not saying you should do this, but I've known people to take a year out and dedicate themselves towards completely restoring health, then they are better able to complete their studies.

Your health is number one dear Eleanor...and take as much time, space and support as you need to restore it.

Hugs

Sarah x

Anonymous said...

I know it might feel like ED offers you comfort, but deep down you know that you are not comfortable with being sick.. The real Eleanor is kicking and screaming to get away from from this illness, but the fear of the unknown is just too great.

You are such a beautiful soul… I can't even begin to describe how much you mean to me. It breaks my heart to hear that you feel so caged by ED at the moment. I think we can both agree that knowing what needs to be done and doing what needs to be done are two very different things. It won't be until you are ready to rip that bandaid off with no hesitation that you will find yourself feeling truly free. It's not something that you can force… but I know that it will come in time.

Have faith, Eleanor.. in yourself, in the world around you, and in the people that love you because we will all steer you in the right direction. Let go of that crippled hand that is constantly tugging you back into the shadows and embrace the light that surrounds you.

I wish there was more that I could say - you are so beautiful and courageous… I just want to give you the biggest hug and let all your fears melt away. I love you.
<3
Tat

Anonymous said...

the epiphany has been within you baby for as long as ED has. you HAVE the power to step out of this, i know at times it seems ridiculous and insane but we CAN do this. i LOVED your analogy to the bandaid and the wound. you are so smart and brilliant eleanor. i can honestly say you are one of the most insightful people i have ever "met" (which btw, I would LOVE for that to actually happen some day) and your words truly touch me every day. you can do this baby, i have SO much faith in you. I think school is just working you into a tizzy because its new and not part of your usual pattern but in time, you will get used to it, get used to REAL life. and finally be able live, be free.
love you so much darling eleanor.
becca

Anonymous said...

the epiphany has been within you baby for as long as ED has. you HAVE the power to step out of this, i know at times it seems ridiculous and insane but we CAN do this. i LOVED your analogy to the bandaid and the wound. you are so smart and brilliant eleanor. i can honestly say you are one of the most insightful people i have ever "met" (which btw, I would LOVE for that to actually happen some day) and your words truly touch me every day. you can do this baby, i have SO much faith in you. I think school is just working you into a tizzy because its new and not part of your usual pattern but in time, you will get used to it, get used to REAL life. and finally be able live, be free.
love you so much darling eleanor.
becca

Ruby Converse and Curls said...

The thing I've come to see is that I can have a billion epiphanies and write countless "I have to do this" entries in my journal, but it won't make doing what I need to any less uncomfortable and difficult. That being said, this post is so eloquent and so true. The choices are between really intense ickyness or a lifetime of misery, that is if you live that long. I've always been an instant gratification type of girl, which combined with procrastination can be problematic (I'll increase my food tomorrow, I just don't want to be anxious and scared today... said all the time lol) but when I think of it in a pay now or pay later way, it puts things a teensy bit more in perspective. I'm sorry you're in so much pain struggling and truly hope things get a bit easier soon.
Oh and yes! Who says we have to be little kids in order to have a Disney and coloring filled playdate?!?!

Rachael*

Anonymous said...

Eleanor, please know that none of us would ever think worse of you! You are strong and beautiful and you can beat this! You know the hold it has on you and you want to be free. I know it's scary, but you can do it. You already know how much better life can be without ED.
Be brave, Eleanor. (: -Kylee

Emily said...

I would never ever think less of you for any reason involving ED. You are struggling -- it happens. We all go through this pain. It's inevitable.

Just know that all this pain could and would go away if you take that leap of faith and trust that everything will work out -- because it will! you will learn to love yourself and be ED free. It is possible.

you are beautiful!

xoxo
lots of love<3

Jennifer said...

Sweetheart,its ok to feel completely overwhelmed at this time. The Anorexia will ALWAYS take the opportunity to attack and try to dismantle recovery,when you are in a new,vulnerable situation,ie new school year.
Please hang on and try to ride out the attack on your mind...it will ease off if you keep flooding your mind with Eleanors rational thoughts.
Much love and prayers and hugs,
Jennifer(Queensland,Australia)xxoo

Anonymous said...

thank you so much for this post. i feel in such the same position as you right now, just know that you are not alone girl. im here to i feel the same pain and i know what you're going through. like some part of you misses your illness even though the true you knows how sick and twisted anorexia is. it's like your caught in between constantly searching for nirvana. but you willl find it, we will find it!
amy<3